Author Topic: Leaders... and knots used.  (Read 6762 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Leaders... and knots used.
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »
Leader material...


Knots ...


All these are questions that will probably be a personal choice.


Now I have never fished for GT's or Doggies.


I can not talk about twisted leaders as I have never used them...


I want to know what works for you.


I personally dont like any knot running through my rod guides while casting or coming back through the rod eyes when the fish is close to the boat or rocks and wants to run again.


On my light braid setups I have used the spider hitch and ycatan knots to create a double in the braid and attach the leader to the braid.


This worked for me in Angola when jigging for AJ's as well. Maybe I was just lucky but had no knot failures.


I have been using the FG knot the last 5 months spinning from the rocks to attach braid to the leader.


The leader is still 45cm max as I want the knot outside the eyes when casting.


With GT and Doggies on the target list coming Sept I will use the same except the leader will be 170#...


I am keen to hear from experienced anglers what has worked form them and why when it comes to abrasion and shock resistsnce on the take when popping...

Offline Spud

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Grumpy Old man
  • Location: Randburg / Ballito
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
My preference.   :::: Hook   :vio   Shock leader 40kg breaking .  Then a Swivel
And braid 30kg breaking ... That is my set up for spinning .
11 ft aero cast .... 6000  Saragossa   
Don't fall in the shark tank 🔞🔞🔞

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
Jigging-PR Knot - Fluero 80lb-100lb
GT Rods - Yucatan/Tony Jones 200lb-240lb Mono
Medium tackle and light tackle spinning Fluero 30lb - 80lb leader slim Beauty

I don't cast knots through the eyes of my rods for a few reason
less distance
tip wraps
eye wraps
Wind knots


Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
Jigging-PR Knot - Fluero 80lb-100lb
GT Rods - Yucatan/Tony Jones 200lb-240lb Mono
Medium tackle and light tackle spinning Fluero 30lb - 80lb leader slim Beauty

I don't cast knots through the eyes of my rods for a few reason
less distance
tip wraps
eye wraps
Wind knots




Thanks Mnr,


How about some photos...

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:00:38 AM »
Cam,


have you tried the FG knot?

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
The FG is a good knot but I prefer the PR mostly cos I sheared a cap off in my mouth when I pull some 300lb leader out my mouth when tying it once

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
I've been meaning to do some knot tutorial but its a fiddly business getting the Macro shots right which knot are you interested in?

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
The FG is a good knot but I prefer the PR mostly cos I sheared a cap off in my mouth when I pull some 300lb leader out my mouth when tying it once


The FG is a lot smaller and faster to do as the PR knot..


(I need to practice the PR a lot more)


I have really enjoyed using this knot on the lighter braids and on 80lbs Saltiga with 100lbs leader its even easier...


Why do you use your teeth on the FG knot??? 


Floss is usually a lot thinner than 300lbs  :hehe: :crzy




Offline andrewpalang

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 172
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Haga Haga
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »
So far I have always used the FG knot and never ever had an issue with it. It is also fairly quick and easy to tie out at sea should you snap off. That being said however, I have just arrived back from leave with a PR bobbin so will be giving that a try in the next couple of days!

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 07:45:05 PM »
Hi Gerhard.


Im only doing light and medium spinning and always used the " slim beauty " or so called the Bob Sands Knot and never had a


issue with the knot. The knot was tested more than 1000 times and it knot strength is 100 % the breaking strain of your braid. It


is quick and very easy to tie,try it .. you wont won't regret it ! Here's the link.


Bob Sands Knot  [size=78%] [/size]

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
Thanks Carll,


The FG knot is still the 1st choice.


But will test this one as well...

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »
Gerhard, where can I have a look at the FG knot please, the link on  :ult: is not the clearest?

Offline andrewpalang

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 172
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Haga Haga
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »
@Prego, If you check out Youtube, there is a good one posted by Nomads.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 10:17:56 AM »
Andrew thanks for the heads up that's a really clear video and he makes it look alot easier than the other videos I watched  :+ cred:

Here is the link if others are interested and don't have a PR bobbin

TYING A FG KNOT

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »
Thats the video I used to learn the FG Knot as well.


I do 6 weaves pull tight another 6 weaves pull tight.


The I do 2 half hitches pull tight.


I then pull the tag ends and the braid bites into the leader.


From there its another 8 half hitches on the leader and then 10 on the braid...


Easy, quick to do, small and super strong...

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »
So I spent last night practising this knot and its a lot easier then I thought it would be. I tested it out on the 10k and full drag even straight sticking it and pulling at it from slack line and it did not budge  :yipee: now to test it  :gt: :dor: :yft:

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Leaders...
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »
So I spent last night practising this knot and its a lot easier then I thought it would be. I tested it out on the 10k and full drag even straight sticking it and pulling at it from slack line and it did not budge  :yipee: now to test it  :gt: :dor: :yft:


Lekker man!


Tight Lines

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal