Author Topic: So what did you do with your boat today?  (Read 269314 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #480 on: December 05, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »
nice to see, especially the lifejackets, I'm sure they had a great day


Safety first, always! Also, passing along the right message.  w;k

We stopped at Xefina Is. for a snack and they looked for shells and crabs. Great day indeed!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #481 on: December 07, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
Got back from a business trip to Zambia only to find my one trailer wheel flat, :cry: so that's what I was fixing Saturday morning  :-(
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #482 on: December 26, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »
Installed the secondary VHF and prepped the boat for Monday. looks like there will be an opening in the weather ... will do a bit of deep blue hunting :billf:
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Peter Gordon

  • Value. 64 is a bit short on Proper Value
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg, Gauteng
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #483 on: December 26, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
Hey Boet I hope it works out. Tight lines and be safe  :rck"

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #484 on: January 07, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »
Well as it goes with a boat there is always maintenance!!! My lady is now 17 year old and over the Xmas holidays one motor took in a pile of water when the intake pipe slipped to the bottom of the tank and sucked up all the crap. I have 3 sets of filers on each motor. A raycor followed by another low pressure and then a high pressure but the large amount of water overwhelmed them all and filled up the HP pump and the motor died and would not run despite much effort at sea. We ran back the 23 miles from skipskop I'm just on 2 hours and limped into the trailer.


I have now discovered an issue I have with the 150 and 140hp Suzukis. The high pressure pump is behind the intake manifold!!!! So to get at it you have to remove the top cowling, bottom cowling, throttle control arm, injection manifold and injectors, high pressure manifold and the intake manifold. Then remove the high pressure filter then then after removing all the pipes the high pressure pump can come out and be drained and cleaned. This is impossible at sea. I checked on the 200hp Suzukis that we used and no problem there, the pump is out in the open.


So by the time we got the pump off the water had done its damage,we got the motor to run but idling was erratic so have got the agents to come sort it out in the new year.


With the boat being down decided I might as well do some maintenance. So removed the carpets, opened the deck an checked the flotation and inside of the hull. Out of all the bottles only one was full of water and one other had a small amount of water in. We will replace the float level sensors on the fuel tanks, repair some gel coat chips, clean the bilges and reinstall the deck access hatches with syka. Then the new deck covering will go on - I have opted for Vetus happy elephant no slip matting. We will then reinstall the piping on the lunar tubes and fix the deck wash pump ready for the Marlin compi in Feb.


The tanks will be drained and cleaned and we should be ready to go.....


Pics of deck with carpets and deck hatch remover, we will leave the deck hatch off for the Marlin compi this year.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:35:49 AM by Seventenths »

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #485 on: January 07, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
Eish good luck there 7/10!

After the last few outings and today's launch with the family, spent about 1 hour giving the old gladiator a good soapy wash...

Ready for the next fishing trip...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #486 on: January 17, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
Spent a large part of the day yesterday at my dad's working on the '"road" trailer... getting it ready for a trip I'm putting together in April... almost there...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #487 on: January 17, 2016, 03:36:32 PM »
I spent a planned 30 mins unravling the anchor rope, my grandson helped out and thet was the morning gone :toppie:
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #488 on: January 17, 2016, 09:25:56 PM »
W

Water in the fuel sucks hard on 4 strokes I've dealt with it a couple of times on a few different brands if the water got into the fuel sump which it sounds like it did replace the low and high pressure pump as they will fail guaranteed. If the water was contaminated  (saltwater) change the injectors as well. 

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #489 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:12 AM »
Thanks Cam.. Done that. We replaced the HP pump and the HP filter. The LP pump has a silicone diaphragm and is ok but I got a spare anyway and had to replace the balancing valve too and service all the injectors.
 
Had all the bilges and fuel tanks drained, cleaned and we returned the fuel only to discover I have a bigger problem. Both my SS tanks are leaking on the seams. They are coming out tomorrow and will be repaired. This incident is costing a fortune!!! but need to have it ready for TOMT in FEB so have to have it done 100%. I still have to fix the deck wash pump and Lunar tube pumps... Also had to remove and clean the bilge pumps and repack the flotation.
 
Also want to get a NEW VHF,
 
The new Float level switches were fitted and I am pleased to note that the manifolds on the tank were and exact match - so no problem there. I wanted to fit ultrasonic sensors but they do not work in steel tanks - had I known this I would have bought new plastic tanks for the boat and ditched the SS tanks.
 
I did opt for the better float switches with the guide tube and not the ones with the small float and wire contraptions again. I hope they work well....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:49:11 AM by Seventenths »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #490 on: January 20, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
The BOAT... that proverbial "hole in the water into which money is poured"  :cnfzd
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #491 on: January 20, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »
Geez Tony can imagine this is costing a small fortune, at least it will be done properly and you can have many more safe hrs on the water. Post some pics of the work as it goes along.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #492 on: January 20, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
So the tanks are out and the bilges have been cleaned out - the Tanks need to be repaired as the port tank is leaking slightly and the starboard badly.
 
Image 1 is the opened up deck with the tanks now out and gone for repair,
 
The second shot is of the bottom of the starboard tank where the leaking can clearly be seen.... I did not expect an SS tank to leak!!
 
Slow work.....
 
Waiting for parts for motor and agents to come up and fit and test them....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:31:17 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #493 on: January 20, 2016, 05:08:13 PM »
Glad to see your builder made provisions for removing the tanks most boats you have to cut up the deck  duh
They must have had movement for them to have cracked maybe pack them back in with sondar foam?

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #494 on: January 20, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »
Wow Tony, sorry to hear about your problems with Dragon. You must be anxious to get her ready in time for the TOMT.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #495 on: January 30, 2016, 01:30:41 PM »
Yes Cam, it has been a blessing that we could access the tanks. It was originally my built in fish hatches, that I removed when I changed the cabin and moved the tanks back to balance the boat. I have a massive deck hatch (removable) so did not need the in deck hatches and also bumped up my buoyancy a bit.
 
The bilge pumps were properly gummed up - so they haveboth been cleaned tested and reinstalled. It is worrying how messed they were and clearly a disaster waiting to happen.
 
The tanks are now repaired and back in the boat with new float switches, but I have not put down the new mats as I plan to get new fuel tanks ( Aluminium ) in the near future and did not want to have to tear them up again and the deck does have non slip pattern in the gelcoat.
 
The deck wash pump, Lunar tube and spray rail pumps have been refitted and all running and re rerouted. The OEM of the lunar tubes had no idea and had pipes all over the place and as I hate clutter, it really did not work for me so we have it all fixed now but the PVC will be replace with SS once I am happy with how it work and sure we have no interference anywhere.
 
The trailer damage on the hull (Nicks and chips) has also been repaired and touch ups done.
 
The troll boards were also sanded and varnished. The deck is getting a last buff and clean and we should be all go for TOMT 2016 after seaworthy next week.
 
A lot lighter in the pocket but feeling a lot happier and safer going forward.
 
12 days... and I will be reunited with my boat.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:33:34 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Peter Gordon

  • Value. 64 is a bit short on Proper Value
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg, Gauteng
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #496 on: January 30, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
Lekker Tony. It'll all be worth it in the end :rck"

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #497 on: January 30, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »
Really good of you getting her ship shape for when I make an appearance down south Tony...  w;k

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #498 on: February 01, 2016, 09:31:15 AM »
Really good of you getting her ship shape for when I make an appearance down south Tony...  w;k

We are waiting... don't keep making these threats.. get on the plane.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #499 on: February 17, 2016, 09:44:10 PM »
Progress made... 2 new tanks fitted and after some issues they were foamed in and the deck put back... First image of tank fitted with foat to stop any movement. Second image of mew carpet.. Good grip but dont kneel on them... The hell on your knees!!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal