Author
Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 224187 times)

Offline Quickbite

• Cred: 10
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 09:31:06 am »
cant wait anymore for the first rains.... when will it cum??

Offline schloshd1

• Cred: 31
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 04:44:46 pm »
Nothing wrong with the fishing, just the fishermen :lolo:   I'm sorry I missed this one but am looking forward to this weekends fishing. Adrian, for a Bday venue there can be only one, GILROY'S  . Actually I may be having a small celebration there next Friday if you guys want to pull in.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline AdrianPowrie

• I distrust camel's and anything else that can go a week without a drink... ~Rols~
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 05:07:23 pm »
Nothing wrong with the fishing, just the fishermen :lolo:   I'm sorry I missed this one but am looking forward to this weekends fishing. Adrian, for a Bday venue there can be only one, GILROY'S  . Actually I may be having a small celebration there next Friday if you guys want to pull in.

Ja, we went past and got all the info. Unfortunatly it is Swambo's b/day party and she decided as we walked in the door that it looks like the boys will have far too much fun...

I will be keen to hook up! what is it in aid of?
Regards                                                              Adrian

Offline schloshd1

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »
LOL, Busted! It's in aid of my 30th and my mate coming over from the UK for a visit. Nothing set in stone yet though, should know for sure early next week

Offline Herman Jooste

• Cred: 58
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »
Thanks guys for a great day. The first swim/drift of the season always reminds you that you have to respect the Vaal, and it's tricks. :sml: At least my fall was in head deep water ( off a boulder ) so the chances of injury were minimal.

OMR's, miscalculated drift left him bouncing on his @rse through 2 sets of rapids. Luckily he's a wily, experienced old f@rt, and came out with a small graze on a shin bone.

Rory's fall was the worst you can have on the Vaal. Ankle deep water, with slimy rocks. When you go down there is no water to cushion you, it's body part hitting a rock. Eeeiinnnaa.  :shk

I will leave Rory to post the pic of his fish, but here are some other general pics of the day. Please note the Chairman of St. Stith's toasting himself, in front of the Banner.

If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 175
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »
......I will leave Rory to post the pic of his fish.........

(bat Have you lost my email address??? :pot:

Offline Herman Jooste

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 07:50:03 pm »
Eeiisshh, Retry  :unhap :cnfzd
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

J-Rock

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17:17 pm »
Looks & sounds like you guys had a blast out there on the Vaal...
 fshg

Offline Herman Jooste

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2010, 10:12:37 pm »
With weather as it has been lately, I;m expecting water temps of 18 - 19 tomorrow. Taking OMR to my favourite pozzie.
Hope to have a favourable report back.  w;k

Offline Herman Jooste

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
A group of us went "behind bars " today. Can you believe it took some "sweet talking " to get in  :dunno:
Early morning was overcast,with a cold wind blowing. Rory measured water temp @ 15.  :shk
Between the water temp, and the wind, most of us cried off at 10:00, even those in waders.
As per the norm, Rory got the first fish, a nice muddy, followed by OMR waaaay upstream with a yellow, 1.5 - 2.0kg ( if you can believe him ????? ).
I got a juvenile yellow ( silver ), and then Louis got the fish of the day, A SM yellow of around 2.5kg, gave him a good rev too. Well landed. (clap)
Thanks to all the UA guys who joined us. It was good seeing " Monster" , his buddie ( sorry forgot the name ) and Louis again.
Hats off to Louie on the fish of the day, on a difficult venue, on his first trip to  the venue.. :happ:

See ya on the water soon. w;k

Offline schloshd1

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2010, 07:02:32 pm »
Nice one Herman, sounds like you guys had a good time. What colour/size are the caddis at the moment? Am thinking about going there this coming Saturday and I still want to do some more tying.

Offline Poenskop

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 35
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 08:34:07 am »
Thanks for the nice words Herman, it was a lovely day on the water. It was very cold for us non wader wearing individuals. Those smallies box way above their weight class. Andrew I caught that smallmouth of mine on a #12 white plummer's caddis control fly.

Offline Rory

• Ultimate member
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:31 am »
.....Hats off to Louie on the fish of the day, on a difficult venue, on his first trip to  the venue.. :happ:.....

I'll second that! A super fish in miserable conditions and at a tough venue! :ayb Sorry i was to far away to photograph it! Here some pics from the day:

Offline Rory

• Ultimate member
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »
Had an absolute blast on the river today, plenty hungry fish, good company and of course some cold beers. Thanks to Herman, Chris(The Old Man River), Andrew and Bryan for a super day. Unfortunately the wind blew us off the river at about 09h30, but we had super fishing up to then. My personal tally included about 8 muddies and a yellow in the net, and I lost count of the amount of fish that pulled the hooks. Chris caught a nice size carp which put up a strong fight, but the fish of the day was Andrews yellow. The photo of this yellow doesn't do the fish justice!

Roll on next week.....

Tsutsuma

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 06:11:54 pm »
Well done guys - great pix of your fish.

Offline schloshd1

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:10 pm »
Thanks for a great day out guys  :tkx:  Bryan and I stayed and fished the afternoon as well and we got a few more fish each with Bryan getting a good carp as well

Offline Herman Jooste

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 06:29:06 pm »
Thanks to all for another great day on the river. Must say it was nice  for the fish to come to the party as well. :tkx:
Probably a "break" for me next weekend, then it's the VAAL WEEKEND. :rck" fshg :happ:

Offline Rory

• Ultimate member
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2010, 06:36:33 pm »

....Probably a "break" for me next weekend, then it's the VAAL WEEKEND. :rck" fshg :happ:.....

Eish! Ultimate Social next saturday, fishing the vaal again on Sunday and then the Vaal weekend away.....Yes Please!! Bring it on! (hap (hap

Offline shagnrelease

• Banned
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2010, 06:48:57 pm »
nice boys nice!

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 75
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 07:36:46 am »
Well done,

I am moving to Edenvale next month.

Will have to come and learn how to catch the yellows on fly from you guys...  w;k