Author Topic: Durban Harbour - Whatsup  (Read 146404 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
That sucks Ziggy... maybe now would be a good time to have those rod safety lines installed?!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 03:26:37 PM »
Here is a pic of what I kept - I normally CAR - but I received some orders from friends for fresh fish - so yesterday I could oblige

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
Unlucky regarding the rod Ziggy, that really sucks... Nice fishing though must have been fun, any pics?

You can target the pike on dropshot with small minnows or small diving lures it might be worth it to give it a go!


I have been thinking about that - but the grunters are keeping me very busy!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
That sucks Ziggy... maybe now would be a good time to have those rod safety lines installed?!


Agreed! You DIY advice here would be super.....thanks

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
Sorry for your lose ........ but great job on the grunters. I would love to catch one.

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »
Some nice fish Ziggy  :envy  and welldone on the catch.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »
Ziggy, here's a DIY solution that could give you some ideas

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=13297.0
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 04:42:47 PM »
Here is a pic of what I kept - I normally CAR - but I received some orders from friends for fresh fish - so yesterday I could oblige

You're becoming a pro Ziggs! Well done!  (clap)

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
Ziggy, here's a DIY solution that could give you some ideas

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=13297.0


Thanks John - will take a look

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »
Here is a pic of what I kept - I normally CAR - but I received some orders from friends for fresh fish - so yesterday I could oblige

You're becoming a pro Ziggs! Well done!  (clap)


Thanks Reefman...always been a pro at other facets of fishing and life  :hehe:

Offline Weedeater

  • Grensvegter!
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 396
  • Cred: 42
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
Eish dude!! Nothing worse than losing a rod!  :shk
Congrats on the grunter though, those fillets will go a long way to making up for the loss  :hnthnt:

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
Sorry about the rod Ziggy but some very nice looking fish! Iv had my spool stripped in the harbour on a sardine tail one evening. I thought i had got stuck in the prop when the line started tearing off the reel. :hehe:

As I read your post, Im glancing out to the glorious sea today and thinking I need to get into some Grunter action this afternoon/eve.  :-) What bait were you using ?



I launched at about 11.30 today and started fishing at the cardinal buoy on the tip of the centre island. I decided to only use two rods: Clarus 6'6" (with stradic 2500 and 6lb braid) and berkley 5'6" (with Daiwa BG15 and 8lb mono) - keeping things light and simple....or so I thought!


First the BAD stuff  - I baited up and cast the Berkley and put it in the rod holder - then baited up the Clarus and cast...as the line was settling, the Berkley started nodding. I immediately closed the bail on my Clarus and put it down leaning against the gunwale (stupidly not in the rod holder  - because I was eager to pick up the other rod). As i picked up the other rod - my clarus shot off the boat at great speed...all I saw was its wake as it speed through the water...like a little boat! Gone forever!!!! It all happened so fast...that bait had not even settled yet.


So, I was left with one rod to fish with...my tiny ultralight Berkely.


Now the GOOD stuff In the next two hours I landed 8 grunter between 1,5 and 2,8kg......and dropped 2 really big ones. I never thought it would be so taxing to land those grunter on that tiny rod!


I feel very sad about that rod - i have had it for almost 4 years....and have caught many blacktail, small shad, kingies from the surf, grunter in the bay and bream and chessa on the Zambez ......i feel a bout of tackle addiction coming on
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »
Sorry about the rod Ziggy but some very nice looking fish! Iv had my spool stripped in the harbour on a sardine tail one evening. I thought i had got stuck in the prop when the line started tearing off the reel. :hehe:

As I read your post, Im glancing out to the glorious sea today and thinking I need to get into some Grunter action this afternoon/eve.  :-) What bait were you using ?



I launched at about 11.30 today and started fishing at the cardinal buoy on the tip of the centre island. I decided to only use two rods: Clarus 6'6" (with stradic 2500 and 6lb braid) and berkley 5'6" (with Daiwa BG15 and 8lb mono) - keeping things light and simple....or so I thought!


First the BAD stuff  - I baited up and cast the Berkley and put it in the rod holder - then baited up the Clarus and cast...as the line was settling, the Berkley started nodding. I immediately closed the bail on my Clarus and put it down leaning against the gunwale (stupidly not in the rod holder  - because I was eager to pick up the other rod). As i picked up the other rod - my clarus shot off the boat at great speed...all I saw was its wake as it speed through the water...like a little boat! Gone forever!!!! It all happened so fast...that bait had not even settled yet.


So, I was left with one rod to fish with...my tiny ultralight Berkely.


Now the GOOD stuff In the next two hours I landed 8 grunter between 1,5 and 2,8kg......and dropped 2 really big ones. I never thought it would be so taxing to land those grunter on that tiny rod!


I feel very sad about that rod - i have had it for almost 4 years....and have caught many blacktail, small shad, kingies from the surf, grunter in the bay and bream and chessa on the Zambez ......i feel a bout of tackle addiction coming on


using cracker -  I see conditions are perfect and I am thinking of launching late afternoon and fishing till late evening

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
Thanks Ziggy, Hope to be there so will probably see you on the water. Whats the name of your boat?
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Gregf

  • Guest
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
well done Ziggy, some really nice fish there, sad about the rod, but hell to have fishing like that, what a pleasure  :happ: :resp: :envy

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
Thanks Ziggy, Hope to be there so will probably see you on the water. Whats the name of your boat?


I will be there from about 3.30 to 8 or so  - my boat is called Tjoelies Ride - NRR4R


What is the name f your boat?

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
well done Ziggy, some really nice fish there, sad about the rod, but hell to have fishing like that, what a pleasure  :happ: :resp: :envy


Was a great outing besides the rod. Hoping that Mr Cotton will dredge it up instead of those big grunter he has been nailing!

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
Hi Ziggy,

Looks like the skipper is not available so may have to settle at looking at grunter pics you upload.. Haha

Would have gone on a charter boat called Nauticat. Pls pm me your number, will call you if manage to get on the water.





Thanks Ziggy, Hope to be there so will probably see you on the water. Whats the name of your boat?


I will be there from about 3.30 to 8 or so  - my boat is called Tjoelies Ride - NRR4R


What is the name f your boat?
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »
Hi Ziggy,

Looks like the skipper is not available so may have to settle at looking at grunter pics you upload.. Haha

Would have gone on a charter boat called Nauticat. Pls pm me your number, will call you if manage to get on the water.


[/size]
I have seen Nauticat on the water many times

Offline nizaam

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 31
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: durban kzn
Re: the bad and the good - Durban harbour today
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »
hi there ziggy
will also be on the water on a friends boats but from 6 onwards

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal