Author Topic: Spinning KZN Coast.  (Read 12456 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
This is so nice to see .  (clap) (clap)
 
And you have just convinced that ....... im going to try fishing at winkle tomorrow.  Ive been battling to make up my mind on where and what to do.  They look like they are having so much fun, I want to do that too.

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »
Fantastic stuff!!! (clap)
Reach for a bream!

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »
Thanks guys - I tried a lot of slow bumping over the bottom as well, but no more cobbies around. On the trebles, I agree fully and will take your advice on the short shank 6/0 hooks. It will ensure easier release of the fish, and make it safer for the kids as well. Those trebles are dangerous weapons in the hands of kids!!! :hehe:
:corrct: :corrct: :rck"
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?
:-) ...I have de barbed quite a few of my hooks and neva dropped a fish with them...so..ja I do prefer that as the soft lips of the younger kobbies are prone to tear....Thats why i fish short shank...they bury themselves often behind the hard part of the lip AND..the spoon does not smash so easly into the kobbies mouth when shaking...hence messing up his lip...
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?
:-) ...I have de barbed quite a few of my hooks and neva dropped a fish with them...so..ja I do prefer that as the soft lips of the younger kobbies are prone to tear....Thats why i fish short shank...they bury themselves often behind the hard part of the lip AND..the spoon does not smash so easly into the kobbies mouth when shaking...hence messing up his lip...


I must look inot the short shank - I sometimes debarb the hooks when I have caught my quota of shad becasue I know i will be releasing everything thereafter

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?
:-) ...I have de barbed quite a few of my hooks and neva dropped a fish with them...so..ja I do prefer that as the soft lips of the younger kobbies are prone to tear....Thats why i fish short shank...they bury themselves often behind the hard part of the lip AND..the spoon does not smash so easly into the kobbies mouth when shaking...hence messing up his lip...


I must look inot the short shank - I sometimes debarb the hooks when I have caught my quota of shad becasue I know i will be releasing everything thereafter
:hnthnt: ...Expensive...but I have these on my three top kob spoons!!!
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
 :hnthnt: ..The size i use....
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
 w;k ..The Big game Owner I put on the LS spoon which is slimmer and the gorillas I use on the FatLady and brass back...
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!
:tkx:  great tips 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:15:47 PM by Debbie »

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:12 PM »
 :-) ..Another good hook that I use...BUT..these have also gone up in price...They had a sale at our local tackle store last year and I bought a 100 of these all 7/0,s...DAMN strong!!!
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?
:corrct: ..Thats it Bud...hook into the spud , take it out and then hang it up...I do that every time without fail!!!...Hooks last much longer!!!
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?
:corrct: ..Thats it Bud...hook into the spud , take it out and then hang it up...I do that every time without fail!!!...Hooks last much longer!!!


Aaah! so I can still use the potato for my fish and chips!

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?
:corrct: ..Thats it Bud...hook into the spud , take it out and then hang it up...I do that every time without fail!!!...Hooks last much longer!!!


Aaah! so I can still use the potato for my fish and chips!
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :rotfl :win: :win:
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »
I am in the process of teaching "Steenie" the art of Spinning,I told him to remove those ugly trebles  :hehe: lol !

On a serious note now Steenie or Riekert  is actually a huge Steenbras and Cob angler that grew up in Struisbaai in Cape Town.

He is known as the 'Steenie King'. Riekert has also written a number of articles for angling magazines including angling books.

Here is a pic that I took when Me and Riekert were at Struisbaai,think now you can see why they called him Steenie King.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:22:12 AM by carll »

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
I am in the process of teaching "Steenie" the art of Spinning,I told him to remove those ugly trebles  :hehe: lol !

On a serious note now Steenie or Riekert  is actually a huge Steenbras and Cob angler that grew up in Struisbaai in Cape Town.

He is known as the 'Steenie King'. Riekert has also written a number of articles for angling magazines including angling books.

Here is a pic that I took when Me and Riekert were at Struisbaai,think now you can see why they called him Steenie King.
fshg :win: :win: :win: ..WOW!!!..Thats a piggie of note!!!
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
Thanks Carll and Venechi - White Steenbras is my fishing passion in life. I have caught numerous of them in the 14 - 17 kg range and have tagged and released many. I have been tagging them since the start of the ORI tagging programme way back in the early 80's.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal