Author Topic: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite  (Read 7188 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Livebait

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Midrand , JHB
Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
So My Bday is around the corner and I thought I would treat myself to a new reel. I have a posiedon Ultra Lite that im using for throwing lures and plugs and a scratching. I'm looking for a reel loaded with braid, that would best fit the rod ,still have a fast retrieve ratio and have good drag. I was really leaning toward the Sustain 5000.  But the Daiwa Eceller Oceano 4500 recomended by a good fishing buddy seems a good option too and i was told can take more line than the sustain 5000. What about the sustain 6000 ?
Casting distance is really important so i want a reel that adresses casting., line capacity (20lbs or 30lbs braid ) and good drag. Are there any other reels beside these ?
Looking forward to you guys response, especially those that fish the Ultra lite.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
I would say go with the sustain 5000, I dont think you need to go with a larger size reel. The drag on that thing is amazing and you can get a lot of 20lb braid onto the reel, I might be wrong but in my opinion its a better reel for what you get compared to the exceller oceano

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »
I have the Sustain 5000 and the Poseidon Ultra light HMG (11ft6) - in my opinion, the reel is too small for the rod. It fits much better on a 10ft or 9 ft rod (Exceler/Aerocast).
I use the Ultegra 5500 on my Ultra Light... it is a much bigger reel than the Sustain, has the long cast spool, which helps for distance casting. You could also look at the Daiwa Windcast, which also has a long cast spool.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
Hi Good morning Livebait.

I would go for the Shimano Sustain. As for the Sustain reel you cant go wrong, super choice.The drag on the Sustain is amazing

and you can get a lot of 20lb braid onto the reel. I would suggest that before you buy any of these reels is that you take the rod

in to the shop and fit the reels to the rod and get the reel with the right balance to your fishing rod.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:24:34 AM by carll »

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »
The 5000 size shimanos are too small for that size rod. I would look at the 8000 sustain or one of the big pit reels

Offline Livebait

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Midrand , JHB
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »
Hi Guys , thanks for the responses :) I have been thinking and yes the sustain 5000 feels a bit "small" for the rod. Maybe the sustain 6000 ? What do you guys think ? Im going into one of the shops and see how it feels in the hand.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
As far as I know there is no 6000 size sustain. I could be wrong though :dunno:

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
..

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
Adolf is it available in SA? Im sure someone tried awhile ago to get one but couldnt get them here :dunno:

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
Adolf is it available in SA? Im sure someone tried awhile ago to get one but couldnt get them here :dunno:

Not sure but it is listed as one of the models on the Rapala SA website 

http://www.rapalasa.co.za/products/browse.php?brand=shimano&top_cat=reels&sku_parent=frontdrag

Offline Livebait

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Midrand , JHB
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »
So I got of the phone with Kings and they say the the sustain 6000 will be a bit big for the ultralite. They recomended the Oceano or the Caldia 4500. The Caldia 4500 is lighter than the oceano has has better drag system and can take 300m of 30lbs braid plus backing.  What are your thoughts ? I saw a pretty good review was done by Reefman. Kings quoted me R2400 for a Caldia 4500. On the net I can only find 4000 caldia's I cant seem to find a 4500 ?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:51:06 AM by Livebait »

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
As far as I know there is no 6000 size sustain. I could be wrong though :dunno:
HP I never saw one in the stores (actually did not look for them) but they are available.
http://www.fishingstore.co.za/shimano-sustain-6000-fg-spinning-new-reel/

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »
Caldia is an awesome reel and excellent value for money I would say. Looking forward to Reefman's reply. Come boss tell us.......

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 12:20:11 PM »
Adolf is it available in SA? Im sure someone tried awhile ago to get one but couldnt get them here :dunno:

Not sure but it is listed as one of the models on the Rapala SA website 

http://www.rapalasa.co.za/products/browse.php?brand=shimano&top_cat=reels&sku_parent=frontdrag

HP is thinking about the 8000 series. Sustain doesn't come in an 8000 version.

Choosing a Spinning reel...

You need to be careful about Gear Ratio's when looking for a spinning/plugging reel.
The Sustain 6000/Stradic 6000 have 4.8:1 ratio, which is unsuitable for spinning. Good for Jigging, but not ideal for spinning - retrieve is too slow.
Caldia also has 4.8:1 Ratio
Windcast - 4.9:1

Ultegra 5.3:1....  :hnthnt: what I said in the first place.

But having said that, you can use any of these reels to spin with, you just have to reel in quicker!! More work!

The Shimano 6000 sizes will fit perfectly on the Ultra light. Even the 8000 sizes will be fine, as they are similar in size to the Ultegra 5500 size.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
Shimano Twinpower and Stella 8000's come in 5.8:1 ratio....  :hnthnt:

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
So I got of the phone with Kings and they say the the sustain 6000 will be a bit big for the ultralite. They recomended the Oceano or the Caldia 4500. The Caldia 4500 is lighter than the oceano has has better drag system and can take 300m of 30lbs braid plus backing.  What are your thoughts ? I saw a pretty good review was done by Reefman. Kings quoted me R2400 for a Caldia 4500. On the net I can only find 4000 caldia's I cant seem to find a 4500 ?

Just remember that Kings = Daiwa. Not to say that the Caldia isnt suitable just remember why they advise that it is the best.

To throw a further spanner in the works what about the new Penn reels? That new conflict looks veeeeery nice :hnthnt:

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
Yip the Penn conflict looks very nice and another option would be the Penn  Spinfisher4500 or 6500 both have fast retrieves at 6.1 and 5.6 (some where there abouts) and the highest max drag than other brands in this class and will take more than 300m of 20lb or 30lb braid.

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
 :-) I am not a great fan of coffees...BUT...the ones I have worked on and ratios and drags aside...this damn reel is STRONG...does not skrik for saltwater and I think wont break the bank!!!...Just a thought...
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Livebait

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Midrand , JHB
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
Wow i guess i have lots to think about
 
@ Reefs, I hear you about the reel ratio. And I wish I had the bugdet for a Stella or twin power. If im going to spend over 2K i think i need to have a look at all these reels and its needs to have a good ratio. That rules out the Sustain 6000, the Caldia and the windcast.
 
Thats leaves
 Penn Conflict or Spinfisher 4500 or 6500
 Shimano Ultegra 5500
 Maybe the Oceano ?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
The Ultegra is a nice reel (I have the 14000) but imho one of the most difficult reels to service. Just something to keep in mind depending on how good you are at servicing reels :-)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal