Author Topic: berkley venOm 10 ft question  (Read 3451 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: natal umdloti
berkley venOm 10 ft question
« on: July 10, 2013, 06:14:12 PM »
Any one out their using this rod . I find that although the rod is rated 3l4 to 4 ounce the iron candy couta casting spoon no 2 seems a trifle light anyone else noticed this ?

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: berkley venim 10 ft question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Looked at one of these the other day , and hung a 4 oz spoon off the last eye in the shop , seemed a bit soft  :dunno:  maybe its sweet spot is 1-3 oz , i  think Tommo uses the 11ft  version , and would be able to give more feed back on its abilitys / pros and cons  , very nice rod though .

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: berkley venim 10 ft question
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
Hi 1969, Yep I use the 11ft, when I need extra distance. It throws the number 2 Iron candy and couta spoons a mile. I have the 9ft Berkley air as well, haven't been let down by it yet.
 
We have all become used to very fast action rods with the age of graphite, but a slightly softer rod has plenty of advantages. It can throw light lures very well and also is more forgiving when using braid, in that you lose less fish to hooks pulling. The softer action gives more shock absorption and makes it less likely for the hook to rip out of the mouth. Also less chance of getting a bit of slack when the fish shakes its head.

Offline 1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: natal umdloti
Re: berkley venOm 10 ft question
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
thanks Tommo am going down to port st johns in 3 weeks time Hoping to catch a cob on this rod on artificials in the surf or mouth What would you recomend lure wise on this set up . Paddletails , hardlures or spoons for port st johns thanks

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: berkley venOm 10 ft question
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »
I haven't fished for kob at Port St Johns myself, but I know the guys have done well there on Rapalas. I wouldn't go without paddletails, bucktails, spoons etc as well. If you need casting distance then spoons or bucktails are best. For lots of vibration paddletails and Rapalas do well. I would take a full selection.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal