Author
Topic: Am report on our East Coast from Gonubie to Kei  (Read 117125 times)

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • Gonubie
Re: Re: Re: AM report on our East Coast Port Alfred to the Kei..........
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 09:23:04 am »
 :-) Mornings Folks...well , this weekend looming is going to be a picky one as far as fishing goes.....sitting off our coast is a rather serious looking high pressure ...That beastly eastly will puff a bit come Sunday AM and tomorrow will probably be the best window with regards to the wind ....It will be pretty light for most part of Saturday and the swell will range fro 5 to 7 foot.....a number of front laying south wich might even push the swell even further...the swell direction is still north west BUT that will change on Sunday as the east picks up speed and that high settles over the coast..[/size]BUT....this is not all doom n gloom...with these conditions presenting itself , its time to look for those sand bars and sloepies , coz piggies just LOVE these kind of sea and pressure conditions......Your tide will be pushing early AM on Sat and Sunday....with a high at 07h45 on Saturday and 08h50 on Sunday....[/color]
[/size]Dont count Bonzas out , especially the area between Gonubie and Bonzas...very nice piggie country...also Green gates at the bottom of Moore street Quigney is a VERY good option with these kinda conditions for piggies...[/color]
[/size]Cefane once again could very well be the HOT SPOT on these tides and make sure you have some sand prawn as well as some FRESH chokka...a nice white feathered jig head dragged on the sand could also entice that piggie....[/color]
[/size]The water colour is not too bad BUT has started to go "off" as the east has progressed over the last two days and into the weekend...the temp has come off dramatically and is at around real feel 16 inshore...[/color]
[/size]Yellow sands is also a good option on this tide formation and Glen Gariff . especially in the surf....nice bank formation there at the moment...[/color]
[/size]Once again folks , it is a nip tide weekend and the tides will not move in or out as much BUT still watch that surge if the swell picks up overnight on Saturday...[/color]
[/size]Remember please pick up the litter and watch the water!!![/color]
[/size]TIGHT LINES and JUST GO FISH!!![/color]
Just GO FISH!!!

Online WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 09:45:22 am »
 :tite bru!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 11:00:53 am »
 w;k Mornings Folks...well , weve come off a week of lotsa east and the water is grubby and chilly and in the AM tomorrow a west will come through at a steady pace , but we are starting to see the last of the winter fronts coming through and that large one you see off CT will slip by us and the two coastal lows will bring wettish conditions from Sunday onwards ...[/size]Sunday AM will see the wind switch to a stiff north easter again and there are one or two spots on the Jikeleza that will fish a north easter comfortably...This water is very suited to piggies and a trip out Cefane way would not be out of place as the tides are also very good......Saturday sees a low at 09h00 and on Sunday @ 09h45...We are on a bright moon spring exactly this weekend , so please be aware of sudden surges ...although the swell should be around the 4 to 5 foot mark its always good to be extra alert on a springs....[/color]
[/size]Bonzas should fish well on these tides and the water condition suits that area for some piggie hunting....also in that area to the right of the Bonzas lifesavers shack halfway to nahoon is also a VERY good area on these tides...[/color]
[/size]Glen Navar and Muir will also be a good option....when you walking on the sand keep an eye out for those white ghost crabs ...grab one and clip him on...VERY good bait for these types of conditions...even a kobbie will gobble that!!![/color]
[/size]Once again , IF you are so fortunate to hook a piggie , give some thought to a possible release , although they make a fine table fish ...they are also under a fair amount of pressure and they used to be very prolific along our Jikeleza...[/color]
[/size]Well folks , its a short sweet forecast today as this past week the wind has not played nicely with the sea ..BUT...lets get those lines in the water and hope for some good stories and pics on Monday AM!![/color]
[/size]Remember ..pick up the litter!![/color]
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Ettienne

• Oupie
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 23
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2015, 11:03:38 am »
 :Like: :tkx:
When you are on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you’ll ever get.
Jack Leonard

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2015, 04:21:31 pm »
 w;k Good day Folks....I very seldom IF ever talk about a dropped kob...IF I cannot take a pic of my landed kob and its a long line release then I never talk about it...Its sort of a "disrespect" to the keepers of the seas.....BUT...this once I will share........ once again another learning curve I had on Sunday AM with my ongoing quest of throwing spoon for kob...I have been eyeing a new gutter next to one of my favourite spots....Its one Ive looked at over the past month or so and decided last weekend to give it a go...Found it to be pretty deep and with a lovely "channel" slap in the cross section of the incoming wave....This Sunday ..I decided to give it a full go with my new 1,2oz Falconetti spoon....After about 15 or so throws ...I see the water action taking on a boiling action as the water got lower and the two Jonnies that were sitting on the rocks behund me ...suddenly get in the water and start diving for fish.....the VERY next throw as i get about 10 or so meters off the ledge I get a TAP...yes a TAP...two turns and another TAP and then one turn ..BANG on!!!
[/size]This kobbie was all of 60cm and dropped at my feet...Im now excited and decide to up the retrieve ratio ever so slightly...The very next throw same spot ...now a TAP...TAP.....ON!!!...I landed this okie slightly bigger and now I wanted a pic ...BUT my bag and fone was a ways off to the back...I never like touching the kobbies when I want to release...So I gently swim him through the shallows and as I get close to my bag station ...he gets off....So apologise for no pic...BUT ...this kind of "bite" is a first for me as normally these kobbies rattle your spoon quite aggresively and then I noticed ALL the green grass and weed in the whole retrieve area....Curious I swam out a little and , sure enough LOTSA vegetation....Im assuming these kobbies hide in the weed and somehow seeand feel the spoon differently...Anyhow , to me this is crucial bit of intel......Hope it helps someone as to how structure affects to how a certain species of fish take the lure differently in different structure/surroundings....[/color]
Just GO FISH!!!

Online WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »
Niiiiice Kent!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 09:43:29 am »
 :clwn Mornings Folks...well , I would suggest you go fish this AM as of later today the east will start to puff and we in for some SERIOUS east wind this weekend , bar a miracle....That being said the water is looking damn nice as weve come off three days west and the temp is around the 18 mark with good colour water...Im sure the raggie hunters will be licking their lips at the prospect of the east cooling the water somewhat and also bring some "nasty" colour to it...[/size]There are not too many spots on the Jikeleza that will fish a strong east in comfort...Two places come to mind ...a small bay just to the right of Kwelerga Village.....the right hand side of the Cintsa Tidal pool ...These two can fish in fair comfort in a big east...BUT...Ive never felt comfortable in a big east at best...[/color]
[/size]You have a high tomorrow AM at 08h00 and on Sunday at 09h30...[/color]
[/size]Those of you who like the rivers , might be a better option this weekend although If one gets an early start tomorrow AM you might just get in an hour or two before the east really comes through...[/color]
[/size]Well , Folks , there you have it......always remember , no line in the water equals no chance at a bite!!![/color]
[/size]Remember please pick up the litter!!![/color]
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 10:19:58 am »
 :tite ......Mornings Folks,,,well ..were in for a wettish weekend and a chillsome one....The water is a nice colour and the temp on the chilly side at 17....the barometer is sitting at 1029hpk and that means we in for an east ...BUT...do not get caught out as last weekend that east only came through in the afternoon , so , watch the wind and I still say that tomorrow AM early is an opportunity for a fish...[/size]Your tides for tomorrow are low at 09h00 and on Sunday at 09h45...Please be alert as we are on a dark moon spring and be aware of those surges...swell will be southly at around 5 to 6 foot ...Remember on a darkmoon spring the sea drains fairly quickly as it approaches dead low...[/color]
[/size]Spots for this weekend ...Cintsa point comes to mind and Cefane to the left IF you get there early enough...Its now starting light at 05h15 and that will give you at least 4 hours to low....although Cefane does fish a pushing tide very well....Glen Navar and Muir are also options on this tide and predicted wind....One could also try the Bulugha side as the east will be behind you as you throw towards Glen Gariff ...BUT...mind that side ast the sea can catch you out as it surges....[/color]
[/size]It will be mostly overcast this weekend with clearing skies from Sunday arvie onwards...some rain predicted BUT the wind is the issue....note that high pressure hanging over our coast and those inland lows will drop the pressure sharply on Sunday , Sooo...Saturday is the day...[/color]
[/size]Lets hope some good catches are made this weekend Folks as its been a bit lean the last few weekends...[/color]
[/size]Good luck and remember to pick up the litter!!![/color]
[/size]TIGHT LINES and JUST GO FISH!!!![/color]
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2015, 09:21:27 am »
 w;k ..Mornings Folks , well had a great early AM session with the kobbies ....they were on line from throw number three and a good hours of spinning....all before the east came up and heres hoping the same will be for tomorrow AM..
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Charles

• The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 76
  • Never ever give up!
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2015, 10:49:34 am »
 (clap) Nice fish Kent! Well done.

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2015, 10:58:37 am »
(clap) Nice fish Kent! Well done.
:tkx: ..Charles...ja..was a lekker session...
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Bunks

• Cred: 1
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2015, 12:58:25 pm »
very nice, well done.

Online WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2015, 03:05:29 pm »
Awesome stuff Kent!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2015, 10:56:40 am »
 w;k ...Mornings Folks...well last night I noticed the baro on the rise again and was hoping and praying that the east would be dead by the early AM....with a 05h00 wake up ,,,the east was GONE!!!...First good sign....made my way down to my local "secret" spot and in the pre dawn darkness noticed no less than 4 Jonnies fishing in my strke zone!!!...VERY GOOD sign number two and then the water was working very nicely with very little sidewash OR surge.....[/size]Straight into the first 20 casts and then moved onto the next pinnacle...first cast ...two turns into the retrieve and the lightest of TAPS ...I decide to reel in very quickly and get the next cast onto that same line......two turns ....BOOM!!!...I can feel Im onto a decent fish.....some drag ....and then a few moments later landed a very nice 85cm kobbie....[/color]
After a kwik coffee....I was back at it and four throws later into and even better fish...this boykie really gave me the gears and as I get him over the last 1m away ledge ....he gives one last shake and throws the 6/0 short shank.....VERY good fight!!!...
A very very good mornings spinning....once again ...when that barometer is in the right pressure range the kobbies present themselves....
Just GO FISH!!!

Online WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2015, 11:23:54 am »
Lekker stuff Kent  :envy

Whats the weather looking like for the next 2 weeks?

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »
Lekker stuff Kent  :envy

Whats the weather looking like for the next 2 weeks?
:tkx: ..Gareth......will give you an update tomorrow.....but the sea looks damn fine at the moment...
Just GO FISH!!!

Online WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2015, 01:26:35 pm »
Thats awesome news bru!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2015, 09:25:28 am »
 w;k ..Mornings Folks...some East Coasters in on the action this weekend....
Just GO FISH!!!