Author
Topic: what primer to use  (Read 1195 times)

Offline kb

• Cred: 9
what primer to use
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »
OK, so I got a +- 15 year old 12ft rod, which I have hand sanses down to the original fibreglass blank.  Tried to spray the colour on, and it just runs off, and drips on the floor. I am not assuming I need a primer, to appl first and then the colour once that has set.
What primer do you recomend??  any ideas?

kb

If there is any doubt, then there is no doubt.

Offline E.T.

• Cred: 87
Re: what primer to use
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Plastic primer is a start.

Let someone hold the blank horisontally for you.
Spray from left to right, turn and spary from left to right, turn and spray from left to right. Do this till the blank is covered.

Spray thin coats, do not overdo it. The paint will run if you do too thick coats.

Place rod at an angle in makeshift stand and wait for it to dry.

Go to an automotive paint shop. Get Plastic Primer, Get a Basecoat Colour of your choice and then a good clear coat. Buy the best you can afford. Standox is a good start. The right paints, etc. will have you do the job, first time right.

If you are concerned about pricing, costs. Then stop right now, don't continue any further. Proper paint and components for the rod should set you back anything from R2000-R2500 or even more. If thats too much, then stop while you are still ahead.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:56:38 PM by E.T. »

Offline isivuba

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 265
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
Man ET you know your stuff nice to see.....  :+ cred: for the info

Offline kb

• Cred: 9
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »
Thanks ET. Ok, im going to try the plastic primer route.  Ive seen it in a spray can before.  Its a 15 year old rod, rescued from the garage, (was about to get thrown ) so im certainly not in the mood to drop 2000 on it. I thought id do it as a a little home project,so il keep it simple.  Worst case scenario,is i varnish it as is, so it will be the ugly duckling of rods, original brown.........but, its going to send a 2oz spoon into orbit.

Thanks for the advise.

Kb
If there is any doubt, then there is no doubt.