Author Topic: LETS TALK DISTANCE  (Read 9764 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: natal umdloti
LETS TALK DISTANCE
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »
THEY SAY THE YARDSTICK IS A HUNDRED METRES . I AM USING A 9FT SHALOM CUSTOM ROD SUSTAIN 5000 LOADED WITH 15 POUND SUPER SLICK POWER PRO . WITH A 45 GRAM I AM THROWING ABOUT 90 METRES , IF I PUT MY BACK INTO IT POSSIBLY A 100 TO 110 METRES THIS IS UNDER FAVORABLE CONDITIONS SOME ARE CLAIMING TO THROW UPWARDS OF 150 METRES BASED ON A 45 TO 50 GRAM SPOON . NAME YOUR RIG AND HOW FAR YOU THINK KNOW YOU CAN THROW                                                             

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »
Haven't ever measured, but I guess I'm throwing about 80m with an Exceler 10ft and Sustain 5000. 20lb Sufix 832.
Think maybe I get a little further with Poseidon UltraLight 12ft, Ultegra 5500, 50lb Sufix??  :dunno:


Offline Haroldg

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 159
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
You'll definitely get better distance with a 10'+ outfit. I use a 10' Aerocast, Sustain 5000 with 20lb Jigman braid. I could throw a 45g bullet spoon over 100m with this outfit. Tested this out on a football ground.
This time size does matter....

Offline Big B

  • Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 760
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
I'm no expert, but I think that your rod should be 10' + and also the lure you cast should be a descent wait and very aerodynamic, like a bullet spoon.
Lets go FISHING!

Offline Nightfox

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 4
  • Location: Cape town
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »
9ft aerocast 4000 sahara with a 50g spoon and 20pd viros braid gets 110m measured
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline Calligeros

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
I never measured, but i have a 10' 30XH Aerocast with the new Sustain 5000FG loaded with Sufix 832 30lb braid and 48g bullet spoon, and i personally dont cast very well and far normally, but with this setup i was casting a mile. When the spoon hit that water my jaw would drop as to how far i was casting. I was estimating approx 100m+.
Awesome setup! Smooth as a whistle and nice and light to drop shot all day without breaking a sweat!

Offline adam

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 623
  • Cred: 138
  • Gender: Male
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
  • Location: Patensie E.C.
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
250m at least. 

With any rig!
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline boepsie

  • boeps legend
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 139
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • I've got a addictive disease , leave me I'm fine
  • Location: stutt
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Ek sien jy kan amper so ver soos ek gooi nou  . lmimmi
Whoooohoooooo

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Really?????

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Really?????


which direction ??????????
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »
Always be humble...

Offline 1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: natal umdloti
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »
Adam you must be a a real man ?

Offline pieta

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 673
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing for the fun of it
  • Location: Bethlehem
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »
With your spinning rig you need to get on the back bank. That is far enoth. Some guys claim to cast a mile. Would like to see it.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:20 AM »
Yes I agree with. With my Loomis & Franklin 9Ft, Shimano Exage 4000 with 10lbs Braid and Iron Candy bullet spoon I cast +-

80 meters,depends on the wind conditions. But normal conditions about 80 meters and I measured the distance on a Rugby

Field.I have a 13ft custom build Spinning Rod that cast a mile and a half but thats a different rod and its longer. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:30:04 AM by carll »

Offline adam

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 623
  • Cred: 138
  • Gender: Male
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
  • Location: Patensie E.C.
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Really?????


which direction ??????????
upwards with a kite.... :hehe: :creep: :dunno:


haha, have never measured,  but guessing around 60-70m on a good day with a 9ft.
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »
250m at least. 

With any rig!




 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: 
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »
I get more distance with my 9 ft rod and same reel as my 10 ft , then of the boat my 6,6 trevella cast a Garfish spinner the small one a mile , I would guess about the same distance as the 9 ft rods , but on the 6'6 the spinner is much heavier , than on the 9 ft sticks .
Reels o choice , SHIMANO , Stradics , Sustians , Gosa. 4000 to 6000 models .
I think getting anything from 60 to 80 meters are more than enough ...


Braid , rivers , 10 to 15 lbs braid ,boat 20 to 50lbs FIreline .
Then agian  , my situation are much diffrent to most guys , the guys that met me in person would know why ...[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Lucky Hook

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ballito, Kwazulu-Natal
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
I always find it interesting when guys discuss the distance a lure can be cast. In my humble opinion the conditions and terrain greatly impact on how far the lure travels. Winter months in KZN are great as we have offshore winds in the mornings which greatly improves distance. Afternoons are often trying with a cross shore or onshore wind blowing.
 
Regarding the terrain, I find if casing from rocks with a drop off behind (or off an elevated point) distance is greatly improved as the drop to the lure can be much longer. Casting off a steeply sloping beach or with structure behind reduces cast distance.
Obviously the equipment and line used impact on the distance and again in my humble opinion the line is the biggest factor in this regard. To date the best line I have used is Berkley Nanofil (know there are lots of complaints regarding knots etc) but in my opinion (been fishing it since it was launched) it cannot be beaten for casting smoothness and thin diameter. Its abrasion resistance is awesome although the line is often damaged and not so smooth to cast with after a large fish has run line through the rocks but at least you are normally able to land these fish.
 
 
 

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »
Welcome Lucky hook .


I think its safe to say when we speak about distance , we all know the other factors terrian , wind ect .


In Cape town , The wind can bring any kind of shore fishing to a halt because of the wind , doesnt matter if you have the 'best ' Somedays the wind Wind ,wins .!


What kinda of rods ,reels and KNOTs do you use with the Nanofill ? Give us a bit more info please ? 
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Lucky Hook

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ballito, Kwazulu-Natal
Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »
Have fished (and still have) most popular spinning rods, Daiwa Exceler, Kingfisher Posiedon HMG ultra light, Shimano Aerocast. For the last year or so have been using a Shimano Lesath Shore Game rod coupled with a Shimano Sustain 5000fe and more recently the new Shimano Stradic 5000fj. The rod's action is great and I find allows for a smoother cast which is kinder to your back when casting for a couple of hours at a time.
Reels are spooled with 12lb (old rating) and 25lb (new rating) Nanofil with with 40lb gator braid used as backing to ensure reel spools are filled to absolute full capacity. I use a casting leader of 40lb gator Braid that I join to the nanofil using a modified cats paw ensuring that the nanofil on reel spool is wrapped around gator braid. The bimimis for the cats paw are tied with a minimum of 40 turns and max about 45. I then use a 1,5m fluorocarbon leader of about 18kg's to a small power swivel and can then easily change lures using split rings.
 
Mainly fish Chase S-Bend spoons (Garrick, shad and also natal snoek that like to hammer this spoon at first light whilst it is sinking)  and Iron Candy Couta Casting spoons which are great for distance casting for Snoek and also Garrick when retrieved slowly.
Regarding distance I believe most guys that I fish with throw a Chase S-Bend about 70 meters in ideal conditions and the Iron Candy Couta Casting Spoons well over 100 meters.
 
 

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal