Author
Topic: John F's Baits: Squid circle hook bridle rig  (Read 1955 times)

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
John F's Baits: Squid circle hook bridle rig
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:41:03 am »
Squid represent the largest biomass in the world's oceans representing up to 60%. All major predators (at least those we are interested in  :hnthnt: ) will not go past a yammy squid...

However, it seems squid is not so popular with offshore big game anglers probably due to difficulties with rigging. I've been giving  lot of thought lately on this and came up with a concept that I'll be trying and refining soon. Please note that this is still a concept and I have not tried this out in the big blue.... actually will try to rig this for the first time this week and will see how it goes. The purpose of this post is to share the idea and get input from more experienced guys. Thanks!

After searching the web for several months, I believe this is one of the quickest methods to rig whole squid for offshore trolling. It is also simple and cheap.

Here's what's needed:

* Snelled circle hook (16/0 - 20/0)
* Large squid (+/-20 cm)
* Thread line (2 x 30 cm sections)   
* Lollipop rod
* Wine cork
* Bead
* Rigging needle

How to:

Step 1. Insert the Lollipop rod into the cork. Leave half of it sticking out.

Step 2.  Cut a 30 cm section of thread line, pass it through the bead and tie a couple of overhand knots over the bead. Make sure the bead is snug and tight and more or less in the middle of the thread line.

Step 3. Insert the tag ends of the thread line through the lollipop rod and slide it through so the bead sits next to the cork. One can make several of these. When it's time to rig on the boat or the nigh before the comp it makes life a bit easier.

Step 4. Use the rigging needle to pierce the tag ends through the squid’s mantle and run the cork + lollipop inside the squid’s body all the way to the tail.

Step 5. Snugly attach the circle hook to the lollipop rod with several overhand knots.

Step 6. The bead acts as a stopper; this way the hook will pull the bait from the cork.

Step 7. Use the other section of thread line to sow the head to the body of the squid and trim the excess.

Step 8. Pull it as a skipping bait in one of the longer positions (long rigger/shotgun) at 4.5-5.0 knots and catch a marlin!!!!

See illustration below for more clarity.

Will post a pictorial later as I rig it with real squid. In the mean time I'd appreciate some feedback.

and oh yes...  :FST:

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
Re: John F's Baits: Squid circle hook bridle rig
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:22:02 am »
Very nice Marcos!  (clap)  :+ cred:

Offline shagnrelease

• Banned
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:51 am »
Looks good Marcos, squid must be the most underrated marlin baits in the country and is used to great succes all over the world. I must say I have never pulled a whole squid for very long, I just never had any confidence, but it should be given more time!!
Just for your info, squid made up the winning combinations at the recent sailfish interprovincial as well as at the billfish 15000, where the chaps used it as strip baits, and they were very succesful as well. a very versatile bai indeed.

Offline John F

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:38:49 am »
Thanks WK!

I think this rig will work well in those calm/moderate days. Rough conditions will wear out the squid too quickly...

Offline John F

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:40:49 am »
Thanks shag... interesting... will certainly give this a go... can't get any worse, anyway...