I spent the weekend at my place in the transkei. I had my 2yr old son with me as my wife was away. Luckily granny said she would baby sit him for a morning so i could get a deeopsea trip in.
I went out with my dad and my brother.
bait was hard to come by, only tiny shad and even smaller mozzies. (5-10cm guys). No good for anything. About 2hrs of trying and we had about 8 mackrel and a few blue skin and litle reds, big eyes etc. We treind a few spots and quiet. When the coppers wont eat mackrel you know its bad.
Eventually my dad got a pull on a blue skin and it was a propper hungry fish pull. No messing around. A great fight and a moose of a copper came up. It eventually weighted 38kgs having been out the water for about 5hrs. A great male fish.
The mackrel were not being touched and I put a blue skin down and was duly rewarded with a propper pull. I was vas. i could tell it wasnt a big fish but it still put a proper bend in my rod and I duly landed my first copper since easter 2011. a smaLL FISH OF +_18KGS.
We tried a bit more with soft baits etc on 30lb braid and my brother spent a bit of time vas on 1 before it reefed him. We dint try for anything else as we had enough fish so headed home. The left bicep is still feeling a bit tender, but the fish supper tonight will be good.