Author Topic: I need some opinions/input please  (Read 10105 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
I need some opinions/input please
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
Situation 1:
 
I have a charter, before the trip is client is warned conditions are not great, sea is rough and fishing is tough but it is not unsafe, he is given the option to cancel and have his deposit refunded. He says he is fine and can handle it. The trip is done and all get sea sick and trip is cut short.
 
Afterwards the client complains.
 
 
 
Situation 2:
 
I have a charter, before the trip the client is told sea conditions are not good and not safe, I cancel the trip and refund the deposit.
 
Afterwards the client complains.
 
 
So I ask, what is one to do............ how does one satisfy these clients. I have no control over the conditions.
 
I am not happy getting complaints........I am upset.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:50:29 PM by Fishing Adventures »

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:31 AM »
I'd say stick to No 2. You can't please everyone all the time. Besides you the skipper, thus responsible for the integrity of the vessel and those on her. You make the call! You'll get way more clients and respect at the end of the day!

If you need to refund a client at least don't waste fuel and time!

My 2 cts
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9768
  • Cred: 769
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:54:35 AM »
Make sure you have a good indemnity type document that needs to be signed when they book, explaining the unpredictability of the Ocean conditions etc. State that safety comes first... that you will not take chances.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
I agree with Reefz. You should already have an indemnity form, just add a special conditions section. There you can add warnings about unfavourable conditions and that they are advised that the trip might be cut short due to safety reasons. Either they sign this or no trip. You will have to make it clear and simple. 

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:14:36 AM »

You are the skipper, your boat, your business.
If it is safe and you return at their wishes - they pay. Normally this isn't a problem because when they are green, pale, puking, and lying in the foetal position, they will pretty much pay anything to be back on dry land.

If it is not safe to go and you decide to cancel or offer a postponement - you pay back the deposit. This is generally easier as you know the forecast and weather patterns.


On the other hand, and one I battle with in Africa, how much do you expect as a tip (on a normal day and not with records thrown in) and how much should one tip a deckie?
Assuming the average cost is USD800 for the boat for the day.

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
I think Mike is more concerned with the clients being unhappy should a trip be cancelled or cut short, not whether he is doing the right thing or not.

Your business is no different to any other business Mike, as long as the clients understand the rules and they are made aware of what might happen should you make a call I wouldn't be too concerned if a client is not happy. As long as you play open cards with them beforehand you shouldn't worry if a client has a tantrum if you cancel a trip.

if you treat your clients with respect during this time and make your point you have done what you could, some people unfortunately don't have the common sense to know that you are running a business and that you are not in control of mother nature even after agreeing to all of these terms.

I am in the hospitality industry, we deal with these issues every day,  this is part of our lives and we need to ensure that we deal with the situation in the most professional manner possible. More than that you can't do.



Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
The thing is FA in any industry you will get clients who will be unhappy no matter what.

When people book you are the one they want, therefore you should have the opportunity to lay down the law towards them and say, I am the skipper, if the seas are rough or unsafe we will not go out. You wont please everyone unfortunately  :-(

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »
Mike, I am leaning towards option 2. Most people will accept your decision of whether it is safe and good to go out. As long as you keep communicating during the week prior, it wont come as a surprise to them if you do cancel!
 
I would rather have my monies back than try and "force the joll" so to speak. I think  communication is key in in the days prior to the event should the weather be looking iffy. No one likes getting there hopes up and then be blindsided.
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
Mike, I am leaning towards option 2. Most people will accept your decision of whether it is safe and good to go out. As long as you keep communicating during the week prior, it wont come as a surprise to them if you do cancel!
 
I would rather have my monies back than try and "force the joll" so to speak. I think  communication is key in in the days prior to the event should the weather be looking iffy. No one likes getting there hopes up and then be blindsided.

Vwry difficult with weather forecasts that are far from accurate
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:04:25 AM by Fishing Adventures »

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
Agreed, but I think 2 days before you'll be getting a feeling that it may be on or may be off. I would then let the client know if the weather is looking in doubt. That way if you cancel the evening before he is not surprised and then you can refund him his monies.
 
If a client still insists on going even though he is fully aware that it will be horrible, bumpy and likely to induce stomach spasms so bad he wished he was dead, then you done all you can, in my opinion.
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »
Mike sounds like your client/s are unreasonable we all know if u haven ever been on a bumpy sea that it can be uncomfortable and as u say making fishing that much more difficult if it was me i would have taken sea sick tablets to help me perpare yourself better!! hell if us fishermen could be guaranteed of catching fish on every trip we go on there would a whole lot of very happy fishermen out there :crzy

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »
Agreed, but I think 2 days before you'll be getting a feeling that it may be on or may be off. I would then let the client know if the weather is looking in doubt. That way if you cancel the evening before he is not surprised and then you can refund him his monies.
 
If a client still insists on going even though he is fully aware that it will be horrible, bumpy and likely to induce stomach spasms so bad he wished he was dead, then you done all you can, in my opinion.

Yes, I communicate during the week and the night before, and only make the call in the morning at the boat, that is becasue how many times the weather forecast is wrong and weather is peachy and the trip can be done. How many times I have canceled the nite before only to wake up to a stunning day.
If its safety I refuse to go, but bumpy I give the client the choice and explain well.
Just that one cannot keep everyone happy and it frustrates me

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
Mike, here is unfortunately not a grey area. With your experience you will know the day/night before if the sea will be on its head.
 
1. You either cancel and refund money.
or
2. If they insist that they want to go out then you do on condition that they sign a special waiver indicating that you pointed out the conditions and possible consequences and that if you have to return to shore at their request, you will deem the charter executed and completed in full.
 
Have been out on many commercial charters, and it is usually myself the night before that calls the shot. Never had an operator refuse my refund or schedule for a next following available day.
 
There is nothing worse than a lot of green faces on the boat regretting the day they were born and you (the skipper/operator) know youre wasting time not going to catch anyway.
 
As a matter of fact, if this happens, inform them that according to the Fishing Charter Act of 1947 you are compelled to stay out for the full duration of the paid for charter,...and wait for them to offer you a bonus to take them back to land!
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
well firstly  (clap) on being one of very few that even take dodgey weather into consideration,i have been on a few charters that would not even mention 50/50 weather situations to there clients.

case in point going out at shelly, skipper headed out close inshore suggesting we try some bottoms a hour later due to screaming current and wind picking up we could not even hiy the bottom to do any fishing.
these guys new well that it would be unfishable but still will take you out  swr
hence have never fished with them again.

at a different time on the beach the charter called it off,but many guys still launched to what turned out to be a shocking day wind was pumping.
this operation i still use today and i have since since 1996 they even cut the day short once and refunded us about a third of fee which was very fair i think.

in short if you gonna pee off the customer you are doing it for the right reason :resp:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
mIKE,
 
Then I think you are doing everything I would expect of you and as Toppie says you're unfortunately not going to be able to please those 1 or 2 customers. I would go as far as to say 98% of your customers understand, accept and are pleased with the outcome?
 
Not sure if will be possible to please those 1 or 2 customers?
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
I reckon Toppie has some sound advice there, but I think you could go one step further and, together with your booking/deposit form, in highlighted bold print, tell 'em it's in the lap of the gods and you have sole discretion to cancel should you deem it necessary, because you care for theirs and your safety, and that they actually sign to those terms.


That being said, there will always be one of them that was built to ****, and **** he will!
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
I reckon Toppie has some sound advice there, but I think you could go one step further and, together with your booking/deposit form, in highlighted bold print, tell 'em it's in the lap of the gods and you have sole discretion to cancel should you deem it necessary, because you care for theirs and your safety, and that they actually sign to those terms.


That being said, there will always be one of them that was built to ****, and **** he will!

I have most bases covered, I just was upset as I got my first written complaint after 6yrs and it ratteled my cage as I take huge pride in my charters and have such a passion for fishing, nature and wildlife

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
Ja, we tend to take these things personally when we take pride in our product, but sometimes you just have to shrug and say WTF, and take a huge swig of whatever your liquid refreshment preference is  :frid
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »
...I got my first written complaint after 6yrs ...

Thats not bad going, wish I was that fortunate.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: I need some opinions/input please
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »
Mike , 1 complaint in 6 years is not bad at all , u must try the aviation buisness and see how customers can whinge and whine , i'd rather use that complaint as constructive critisisim  and like in aviation you are the Pilot in command ( skipper/captain of the vessel) and if u deem it reckless and not safe to proceed with the charter then its your call not the customers  , we have a saying in aviation ( theres old hero's and bold hero's , but no old bold hero's ) .. :-) 

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal