Author
Topic: Braid Stitch - Strongest method of Joining Two Braids  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Nemesis.

• The Karou Charou
  • Cred: 66
Braid Stitch - Strongest method of Joining Two Braids
« on: June 07, 2012, 03:49:10 pm »
So with this grinder evolution, I've seen myself exposed to various Braids & Knots, and with grinder fishing their is a need  to join braids on a reguluar basis.
So to cut a long story shot, I've had a few joins pop on good fish, be it Stitched loop braid to Catspaw or 7 Turn Uni Knots, they all seem to fail below the rated
pounded of the braids used.So i did a little research and found the Braid to Braid Stitch,which the vertical jiggers use & which i also tryed & tested & found to be the best way to
join braids!Heres a tutorial.Enjoy w;k

Step 1 : Below get the 2 Braids that are going to be stitched, cross them 15cm down each other, this is where the stitching will start.

Step 2 : Thread the HMP Braid through the eye of the needle, thereafter loop/Stitch the Whiplash onto the needle 1cm Apart 15 times.

Step 3 :Now Pull the HMP Braid through the loops of the Whiplash

Step 4 : Repeat Step 2,& 3 but this time, thread the tag end of the Whiplash through the eye of the need,& loop/stitch the HMP Braid onto the need 1cm apart 15times.
Thereafter Pull the Whiplash throught the loops of the HMP Braid.

Step 5 : Roll your fingers against the stitches until the stitching is tight together, & there you have it!! The tag ends of both braids can be trimmed neatly off or as
              i do it,trim them 1cm from the last stitch there after neaten them by adding clear nail polish to keep them down and in line with the rest of the braid.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 755
Re: Braid Stitch - Strongest method of Joining Two Braids
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:55:26 pm »
Nice one Nemz!!  :+ cred:

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Lichia amia

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:07:49 pm »
Nice Tut , gonna try it  (clap)

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:37:09 pm »
Nice one, also works well for hollow core braid where you can then pull in through the centre.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline Nemesis.

• The Karou Charou
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:50:29 pm »
Nice one, also works well for hollow core braid where you can then pull in through the centre.
Yep tried it with hollowcore through the centre, works awesome, no more knots :hnthnt:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 221
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:32:34 am »
Great tut Nemz! Just out of interest what knot do you go with if you need to redo on the beach? Or can you still do the braid stitch

Offline Nemesis.

• The Karou Charou
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:37:06 am »
Great tut Nemz! Just out of interest what knot do you go with if you need to redo on the beach? Or can you still do the braid stitch
Hey Half-pint,on the beach its abit tricky to do a stitch,so I opt for a 7 Turn Uni Knot on my 120lb leader and a Bob Sands Knot with my 50lb Topshot

Offline Kumz

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:24 am »
 (clap) :win: :+ cred:

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 08:49:01 am »
Thanks Nemz!

TUNAMAN

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:54 am »
 :+ cred: Nemz!

Offline fedu

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 70
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:13 am »
Nice.

I've been following another path lately, I pick a small piece of hollow braid and slice both the solid braids onto it, on lighter braids it is easier than the "stiching" method, for instance stiching 50lb braid is actually dificult for me due to line diameter so I pick a 20 cm piece of 60lb hollow core and splice both the 50lb solid braids onto it.

I use the techinique in this link and do it twice, one for each of the solid braids that I want to connect
http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f172/hollow-spectra-i-solid-hollow-splices-382776.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:53:58 pm by fedu »

Offline Nemesis.

• The Karou Charou
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:42 pm »
Nice.

I've been following another path lately, I pick a small piece of hollow braid and slice both the solid braids onto it, on lighter braids it is easier than the "stiching" method, for instance stiching 50lb braid is actually dificult for me due to line diameter so I pick a 20 cm piece of 60lb hollow core and splice bothe the 50lb solid braids onto it.

I use the techinique in this link and do it twice, one for each of the solid braids that I want to connect
http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f172/hollow-spectra-i-solid-hollow-splices-382776.html

Thanks for the link Fedu, nice read

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »
Nemz I assume you're using this stitch to join a bigger Braid leader to your thinner braid mainline on your Grinder setup, right? How long do you make the leader and do you guys use a Mono leader on top of that?

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Nemesis.

• The Karou Charou
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 02:18:23 pm »
Nemz I assume you're using this stitch to join a bigger Braid leader to your thinner braid mainline on your Grinder setup, right? How long do you make the leader and do you guys use a Mono leader on top of that?
Hey Reefs, correct, i join 50lb braid to 100 or 120lb braid leader of around 5-6 meters.On the end of the braid leader i stitch a loop and attach a small power swivel.To the power swivel i attach 1meter of 0.70mm to 0.80mm Mono.After each trip i cut off the mono and replace.
Basically your braid leader must go around 1 time on the top of the grinder spool,through the eyes, and be around 300 to 500mm out the rod.So in total with the mono you have a 1.5m drop to cast.With your trace attached the drop will be 1.8meters or so.
Longer drop is needed to create more inertia on the lighter sinker to get the rod fully loaded.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »
 :tkx: :+ cred:

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Nemesis.

• The Karou Charou

Offline Sailor

• Wan-to-fish
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 03:13:59 pm »
Very informative.  :shre:

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 04:10:44 pm »
Hey Reefs, correct, i join 50lb braid to 100 or 120lb braid leader of around 5-6 meters.On the end of the braid leader i stitch a loop and attach a small power swivel.To the power swivel i attach 1meter of 0.70mm to 0.80mm Mono.After each trip i cut off the mono and replace.
Basically your braid leader must go around 1 time on the top of the grinder spool,through the eyes, and be around 300 to 500mm out the rod.So in total with the mono you have a 1.5m drop to cast.With your trace attached the drop will be 1.8meters or so.
Longer drop is needed to create more inertia on the lighter sinker to get the rod fully loaded.

:hehe:  for me Id have to have half of it dragging on the floor! 1.65m angler + 1.8m drop.....no wonder I hate casting :rotfl