So Saturday morning I bullied my father and son into a road trip to brookwood for my sons first "official" fishing trip.
We got of to a bad start with a flat battery and Darius crying because we left mommy at home but that all was cured by handing out some juice.
At brookwood we rented 2 rods, one for my dad and the other for my son and was told that we should keep the rods as they are buying replacing their stock. I knew that I would not be doing any fishing but I took my fly rod with just in case. One of the other patrons told us he got 6 rainbows on dry and we could not get our bait into the water quick enough. My father helped my son as I got started to do the setup on my rod which caused mother nature to frown on me and she rewarded me with a strong wind. The only action my fly saw was a branch on a tree 10m back and 5m to my left.
And for the next hour we just looked at the water with no bite. Only one other angler hooked a fish that got away and I then realized it was going to to be a long day. All this time my son was playing with dad's "big-go" That is what he call my fly rod from me practicing back forward, shortend to back go. By heart jumped when my dad hooked and then lost a fish and I thought yes tonight we are eating fish, but that was the last bite of the day.
The funniest thing happened when a fish was hooked about 10m from us, and my son saw the commotion. I walked him over to have a look at what is happening and when he saw that this is how you get the fish to come and play with you he ran to his rod and commanded the fish "Eet vis eet" but they did not listen to him.
All in all it was a very nice family day and my son just loved the idea that the fish "wants" to play with him.



