Author Topic: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod  (Read 28894 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
HI Rory


I am working to edit the sound on the videos I took, as there is a lot of wind noise, hopefully I will be able to upload some of them.


Looking at the tips makes sense after I`ve been there. I would like to explain the concept a bit more, if you dont mind.


The focus was on the very last bit of the cast with the loose grip, he said to use a similar wrist as when you are skipping stones. So keep the wrist aimed back until the very last second then grip the rod, this allows for that extra speed in the action at the end and just shoots your line forward. Its a lot to get use to, especially us being thought to use a stiff wrist. It`s a very similar type of action as playing squash...


I do think that each one of us should adapt to a system that works for them, but the tips he gave made me change my technique...


He focused on double Hauling a lot as well, and showed off a bit by showing us how to cast a full fly line with just using his hands no rod involved at all...

There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
Also your back and forward cast must follow the same line back and forth to get that line to fly true.
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:06 PM »
What distance should the average guy get, I tried for the first time yesterday and maxed out on 15m once in every 3 or so casts - agree with the practise thing!! Could be good fun but I am very lazy.................maybe I need to get a cheap setup for the berg next month!!
Just Fish!!!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
What distance should the average guy get, I tried for the first time yesterday and maxed out on 15m once in every 3 or so casts - agree with the practise thing!! Could be good fun but I am very lazy.................maybe I need to get a cheap setup for the berg next month!!


you will catch fish at 15m - trout patrol the edges also

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Never managed the whole "a river runs through it" vibe I tend to look like a blind man trying to knock apples out a tree with a stick that's to short.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:58:58 PM by Cam Mundy »

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
What distance should the average guy get, I tried for the first time yesterday and maxed out on 15m once in every 3 or so casts - agree with the practise thing!! Could be good fun but I am very lazy.................maybe I need to get a cheap setup for the berg next month!!


What line are you using? 15M is more than enough most fish I caught were very close to the bank, its important not to spook them from the bank but that distance should be more than enough to catch some fish.
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »
Line? no clue all, I know it was floating and an off white colour, I was retreiving very slow most of the time........new to this.
Just Fish!!!

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »

Another 3 things are important in learning how to cast a fly fishing rod, perseverance, practice and patience!

It will be frustrating and will require long hours of practice and slapping the water but once you have got it right, it will stay with you forever!

WK  :ult:

I have to agree with this ...... 100 %

Great article easy to understand and easy to follow   :+ cred:

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
Can I make a suggestion?


Assuming you received the line as part of a combo? Get some decent line, Airflo Ridge or something similar, this will make a world of difference to you.


Its worth spending a few bucks on proper line, just my opinion here.

There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
Can I make a suggestion?


Assuming you received the line as part of a combo? Get some decent line, Airflo Ridge or something similar, this will make a world of difference to you.


Its worth spending a few bucks on proper line, just my opinion here.


I agree 100%!

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »
I recently had the privilege of being at one of Peter Hayes`s clinics, and I must say that everything I was learned and thought I knew about casting, just went out of the door. I do think that each person should get a style he/she is comfortable with.


I've learnt a lot by watching him cast.
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 06:01:52 AM »
I used a lot of the cheaper lines ( nothing else available locally) and found that that to get maximum distance 25 - 30 meters you have to do a lot of forward and back casts to load the rod enough to shoot out the rest of the line on the final cast.
I got hold of a Cortland line 9 weight WF rocket and now I load the rod in 2 casts and viola 25 meters is easy. Thiis is for salt water purpose where distance is needed to cover as much water as possible.


So a good quality line does make a difference. I am looking to invest in Airflo's forty plus next.


Tout is another story, you need max 15 meters, but here you need finesse and  a good loop more then you need distance.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:02:40 AM by briansflyfishing »
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal