Author Topic: Skippers licence valid overseas  (Read 11067 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Skippers licence valid overseas
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:56:48 PM »
Does anybody know whether our skipperstickets are valid in other countries like Australia or not?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
Shew I would seriously doubt it... but I'm just guessing... I think we should try get hold of Capt Chris Badsey again... see what he says...

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:30:41 AM »
Makes sense to me, the ocean is the ocean right? Or do they have different navigation rules in different regions ?

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »
I think you have to do that Captain thing... Like Captain Norm Isaacs etc.  I know one of my friend is a registered Captain, and he said he can now use a boat in most places.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:46:07 AM »
Nope I'm afraid not bud, there is a completley different ticket that you have to get. They do not recognize our tickets and you will have to complete there offshore operators course.

It was the same when I came back here from working overseas they the DOT do not recognize my offshore coastal coastal tag from the USA. It is the equivelent to our 9 mtr plus ticket.

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »
eish

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »
Actually, our tickets are valid in most of Australia - don't ask me why I recently researched this :) There they do it by state, and up till recently you did not need a ticket at all for what we would call a skiboat.
 
Our recreational tickets are seen as some of the toughest in the world - but remember it does not qulify you for a 9m plus boat. And of course the more commercial tickets (like Yachtmaster Offshore etc) are a different ballpark altogether, and there you need to do it through one of the internationally recognized agencies.

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:14:07 AM »
That is good news. I'm going to Cairns next year and want to explore some of the waters. Will just make 100% sure, but this is also the impression I had

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »
That is good news. I'm going to Cairns next year and want to explore some of the waters. Will just make 100% sure, but this is also the impression I had

You moving or visiting? Your ticket is not valid off the bat, but you get RPL (Recognition of prior learning) for your ticket when applying for the Oz version so you don't need to do any courses etc. Have a look-see here, this is specifically the Western Aus site for the Rectreational Skippers Ticket (you will see they refer to it mostly by abbreviation, RST), scroll down to the South Africa section:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/19319.asp
 

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Skippers licence valid overseas
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:52 AM »
oh no...just visiting :-) Thanks for the info.

PS: I can never move...I love Vidal too much

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal