Author Topic: Spectra braid - Anyone used it?  (Read 3224 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gareth88

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Spectra braid - Anyone used it?
« on: December 05, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Hi Guys,


More and more regularly I'm seeing spectra braid being advertised on social media after it's been imported from China. Does anyone have any experience with this braid?


It would be great to know whether is a good option or something to steer clear of?


Thanks in advance

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Spectra braid - Anyone used it?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
Spectra, like Dyneema  is just a type of material that's used in braid manufacture. From what I've heard, results from anglers all over the world on the cheap Chinese braid is that it's generally unreliable. Occasionally, someone will post good reviews but on the forums, where there a more objective oversight, results are negative.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline gareth88

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Spectra braid - Anyone used it?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
Thanks for the response, I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to a once in a lifetime fish haha


On a side but related note, do you know if you can splice the spectra braid? I've successfully managed to spice local 8 strand braid but come of the fused line and 4 strand braid does not splice and falls straight out. I'm curious if this other kind of material would work or not

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal