Author Topic: RE: Stickbait rod  (Read 12250 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 06:42:19 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Major Craft Giant Killing blanks? A mate turned my attention to it, but Í have NO KNOWLEDGE of the brand. Their GK86 Tuna rod SOUND like what I'm after.


I know Dennis Swannell only uses (and swears by) MC rods these days - not boat rods but Shore Jigging and the like.  I also have owned and used a lot of them - brilliant value, excellent build quality and they do what they say on the tin.


Another option:  Barry Wareham's brought out a range of boat spinning sticks which look really good based on what I saw at the SAFTAD show.  Build quality is very good and pricing realistic.  Only snag is they are not all listed on the IFISH site yet - probably worth dropping Basil Manning a line about best match for your application.  .   


Are you referring to the new Ocean Spin?
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »
I think the closest would be the Assassin Spin Master Pop 8' 2XH - 50-80lb braid.  The naming of the series is somehow very confusing.  The Ocean Masters are light sticks, then there is the Spinmaster which is a light stickbait/yellowtail rod - CW to 70g.  Not sure about Ocean Spin?

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »
Ok, so I have my eyes on a couple of rods, BUT, they're not available locally.
Does anyone have experience buying from PLAT? Is so, please advise your experience. I also need some info on the shipping cost, tax implications etc etc to see if it's at all viable.


Offline The Herbmeister

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 130
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
Hi


I have bought from them previously although only fisherman power knob handles. Had no issues.They very good


As for tax etc etc. That you would need to find out locally. They are good on shipping etc but suggest you create an account with them simply to send them emails on the questions you have. Click on the contact us tab ...drop them a mail. Typically they charge about $60 for delivery of 2 jigging sticks. Not bad i guess but often they out of stock


Hope this helps and let me know what you decide on doing. PM me as the Daiwa air portable range looks mean

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »
Ok, so I have my eyes on a couple of rods, BUT, they're not available locally.
Does anyone have experience buying from PLAT? Is so, please advise your experience. I also need some info on the shipping cost, tax implications etc etc to see if it's at all viable.


Plat are absolutely first class, I've bought many rods from them over the last decade but not the cheapest.  Digitaka.com is very highly rated, cheapest for reels and also carries Major Craft.   

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
Ok, so I have my eyes on a couple of rods, BUT, they're not available locally.
Does anyone have experience buying from PLAT? Is so, please advise your experience. I also need some info on the shipping cost, tax implications etc etc to see if it's at all viable.

Great shop not sure what the import cost are like same same as any other I'd imagine

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »
Brad at Freespool had some of the Shimano Ocea rods at one stage they are really good check if he has any left

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »
Shot,I spoke to him last week about that rod specifically! He is gonna give it a bash in the Seychelles this week and give me some feedback!

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: RE: Stickbait rod
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
keen to hear feedback on the Ocea - watched a vid the other night of Fukui San knocking over a 65kg geet on Ocea and PE6.....

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal