Author Topic: Jigs rigged with a treble  (Read 4220 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline The Herbmeister

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 130
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Jigs rigged with a treble
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »
Hi fellas ...

Watched two interesting YouTube clips (one featuring the famous Mogi-san) where the jigs were rigged with one treble and no assist hooks. Fishing for doggies. I have not seen this before ... thought I'd throw it out there and see the responses as I certainly will be trying that here. Maybe there's reasoning in improving the hook up rate with a treble ...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:33:59 PM by The Herbmeister »

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: Jigs rigged with a treble
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
The hook-up rate to your leader maybe... :hehe:

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Jigs rigged with a treble
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
Hi fellas ...

Watched two interesting YouTube clips (one featuring the famous Modi-san) where the jigs were rigged with one treble and no assist hooks. Fishing for doggies. I have not seen this before ... thought I'd throw it out there and see the responses as I certainly will be trying that here. Maybe there's reasoning in improving the hook up rate with a treble ...
Have you got links to the videos, I would like to take a look those?
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Nepptune

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 147
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Jigs rigged with a treble
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
Herb I'm guessing the video you mean is with Mogi jigging with Nomad for Doggies? Is it the one where he has a couple hook ups and drops them till finally landing a biggie?


Quite a few folks who jig for Tuna use the Treble hook option, on short jigs which often get eaten on the drop... and typically Tuna are not being released, so travel damage not an issue..


personally I don't think its necessary, even for fish that seem notoriously difficult to hook, like Doggies... a large single assist hook is always going to give you better hook purchase/staying power...


And I don't like how the potentially to foul the leader is increased...


I would also avoid trebles like the plague if you jigging over reef structure and actually dropping your jig all the way to the bottom, cause thats just a recipe for losing jigs...


Also be aware that ALOT of jigs, even the high end ones, don't have a full trough wire system... or not one I'd tract on the fish of a lifetime anyway...

Offline The Herbmeister

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 130
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Re: Jigs rigged with a treble
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 12:40:14 PM »
Thanks chaps and yes, Mogi fishing with the Nomad crew. Exactly right. Here's the link else search "Massive dog tooth tuna by Mr Mogi"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b19ZnfiAT58
Good point on possibility of getting stuck on reef and comment on fish damaged noted.

Offline Nepptune

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 147
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Jigs rigged with a treble
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
Herb,


regarding damaging fish and trebles, and I know a lot of folks are gonna want to smack me for this, but this is mr personally experience...


Big Barbless Trebles cause little to no more damage to big fish than big barbless singles... and less damage than barbed singles in my opinion...  I am a big fan of large high quality Barbless treble hooks unlike a lot of folks... I use them on large GT lures a lot... because in my opinion, on a fish as brutal as a GT, they do the same damage as a set of singles.... and they do help a lot of lures swim beautifully..


On smaller lures/fish with smaller trebles I find they do VASTLY more damage, and I am not a fan of trebles of any kind in the smaller sizes...


Only place I would use trebles under 5/0 in size would be on lures cast for Yellowfin where the intent is to keep the fish....


I'm all for the protection of fish, and doing everything I can to improve their chance of survival after I've had my fun with them... and in my opinion the best way to do this is to crimp/flatten your barbs... If I think a Treble hook is a better weapon to be using on a certain lure, I will most definitely use it, but will always flatten the barb...

Offline tackle whore

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: Jigs rigged with a treble
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Fully agree with Nepps remember your jigging action needs to be a lot slower and gentle jigging with trebles else they going to tangle a lot . Best to use longer jigs as well short hooker types do tangle more , another problem is a big yellow or doggie clamping down on a treble with out the hooks finding a place to hook up .Big Decoy type assists or shouts work better IMO .

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal