0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Awesome stuff bru, what a lekker report with some beautiful fish!
GREAT report, GREAT fish, GREAT ethics!Congrats to Connor! This is how it should be done.
Great report as usual Robin! On a side note. While all the care taken to ensure the well being of the fish is awesome to see and pass on, fish are a lot more resilient than we usually think (as I'm sure you know). Reason I'm saying this is, don't stress and consume yourself if sometimes things don't go according to plan! You've done a lot already!
Thank you my friend. We are yet to lose a fish. I have told Connor that fishing is a blood sport and that we must always understand that we could very well have a fish die one day. I think a lot of the prep we do helps. Pliers, wet towel, etc. And just an added thing is that we also never fish with belly hooks. When we buy a lure, the belly hook gets removed and the tail hook becomes a downward pointing single. Often the fish hooks the tail lure and the belly then sits right next to the fish's eye. I think 10 fish out of 12 hits says a lot for the single tail hook. We will keep evolving our methods. You guys are an example to us all..I just lost the entire reply I wrote but basically.. there is nothing to be ashamed of to eat and kill you own meal either. Your kiddo still has to learn about the cycle of life, and death. Unless he is a vegan (the ethics of which are also highly debatable), he eats protein everyday. And has no hand except in the purchase of the end product in how the source lived and died and whether it suffered or whether the process to create it was sustainable and food chain not polluted with poisons. That one leerie that gets gill hooked and is bleeding profusely, to return it is to disregard its life although you would be feeding a shark somewhere. To eat it is to appreciate it and the cycle of life, one can take responsibility for how the creature dies and let it die with respect and as little suffering as possible and it can be treated with respect afterwards. That is more than what can be said for the rest of what I eat. From the one side of the scale, mass produced inyama and its enviromental and ethical cost and suffering in the animals, to the vegans fruits and nuts, produced under mono-cropping and mass-spraying programs of poisons (which decimates populations of birds on small mammals) and then being packaged in poisonous packaging which distrupts hormones systems (which we dispose of in landfills continuing the disruption of hormone systems in nature that are already affected by the spraying)...ja anyway..modern life is a big mess.Tell and teach yer kiddo that there is nothing wrong in catching and killing your own food. In fact it is to be responsible. Though where the right and wrong comes in is the sustainability of what you are doing, and inflicting as little suffering as possible and giving the creature respect in death. I'm sure you know all this and more and more..just saying. Death is part of life and there is no reason to teach the younguns otherwise. It is unnecessary suffering and unnecessary death and destruction that is not good, feeding oneself is just natural and a part of being alive. Life cannot be achieved without causing death, you have to eat to survive, it is understanding the wheres and hows, where more life is created through the death instead of more death that is the karmic key to it all. Personally, I think pure C&R is less respectful to the fish than fishing for the pot and sport mindfully and sustainably..but that is just the conclusion that I've come to, for myself after a life of fishing and introspection. That said, I've only eaten one leerie ever in my life that was terminally injured and I've caught hundreds, I've eye hooked and released them and I've caught fish on more than one occasion including very large 12kg+ fish that had lost one eye early in its life and perfectly capable to hunt down my plug, beat its' mates and smash it. Fish like those with such depressed populations such as leeries and dusky cob, or sensitive and extremely valuable to sport fishing like the tarpon in florida, or very slow to reproduce or grow reef species like poensies or red steenbras, I don't believe in keeping at all. To explain, I feel less ethical weight to catch katonkel and keep 10 for the pot/braai/sushi/dog food/smoker or to do the same with my four shad or 2 bek, than I feel ethical weight to specifically target the leeries C&R. I shouldn't actually target the leeries at all if I want a clean karma, but I do, and catch bonnies and shad etc. for pan. The leeries are just too much fun, I love catching them too much..so I'm like you and your boy, very careful with them. I excuse myself acknowledging as you well know that sport fishing and C&R fishing is what has saved many of the worlds fisheries but then I am also realize that with no ringfencing of funds in our country and my license fees disappearing into some politicians swiss bank account, we are no Florida. When I do keep a fish nothing gets wasted, the guts return to the sea or become compost, the head and carcass becomes dog food and the fish got thanked for its' life, it got a spike to the brain, it got bled immediately and got kept cool till filleted or eaten. Fillets get vacuum packed and the quality is so good that a year later they can be pulled out for sashimi if need be. Waste is the evil IMO. Waste of life, waste of stocks...waste of the opportunity of amazing fishing we are missing out on because of bad and self-destructive practices and cultures.Anyway rewrote the reply, just to give another side of the coin..Thanks for your great report, pics and shining example and give yer boy another pat on the back please..Good on you guys! Well done!