Author Topic: how to service a 3 way fridge  (Read 22084 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
Phone Paul 0829593196. He fixed my Edessa 5 Star 3 way freezer which i have had for a few years. The pipes had rusted away, he replaced them and the refridgerant for R1500.00. Strangly enough he turned out to live about 500 metres away from me in Forest Hills,Kloof.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:47:18 PM by Plugger »
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
Phone Paul 0829593196. He fixed my Edessa 5 Star 3 way freezer which i have had for a few years. The pipes had rusted away, he replaced them and the refridgerant for R1500.00. Strangly enough he turned out to live about 500 metres away from me in Forest Hills,Kloof.


The fridge is at the gas shop right now - getting a new regulator and is being tested - will get the prognosis in the morning. I will call Paul and see what he says.
However, I think that I wont get it any colder than it gets - It has never really performed well when the ambient temps are high - its the nature of the beast!
Cold beer is not my priority (for my mates coming with me it is) - I prefer a shot or two of Jack Daniels and red wine! However, I do like to have a cold something at the end of a hot day.


Did your freezer (fridge) ever get lower than 5 degrees when outside temp was in the mid 20's?

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 06:17:37 PM »
Ziggy,
My experience is with three way freezers which are much the same.You must check the burner nozzle in SA you get some spider which spins and blocks the nozzles.I did'nt believe that either but experienced it.These things dont like to be opened regulaly and specially dont like warm items added to their load.For the beer I would try to borrow a 12volt freezer from a friend and cool them in there.


Checked the nozzles- all clear - no goggas!

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 06:19:47 PM »
Ziggy, my Zero stayed at least -8 in 40+ Pomene in Moz. Maybe you didnt know from beginning yours can also do it.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
Ziggy, my Zero stayed at least -8 in 40+ Pomene in Moz. Maybe you didnt know from beginning yours can also do it.


I think I need to phone that guy in Kloof that Plugger mentioned! I need that coldness!

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
We used to use it on our anual 4 week trip to Mapelane over December, all our stuff stayed frozen no problem. One night it was 32 degrees in camp at 2.30 in the morning !
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
Ziggy, my Zero stayed at least -8 in 40+ Pomene in Moz. Maybe you didnt know from beginning yours can also do it.


I think I need to phone that guy in Kloof that Plugger mentioned! I need that coldness!

Same system and mechanism, cant see why yours shouldnt. Maybe an expert can find the glitch.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 08:14:51 AM »
I had the regulator checked - and its ok


I then turned the fridge upside down for 20 minutes, then turned it upright for 20 minutes and then upside down for 20 minutes and the upright again for 3 hours. Fired up the fridge and now the temperature goes down to minus 5 degrees - perfect enough for me!


So it would seem that the upside down thing worked!


Now I am a happy chap - thanks for all the inputs!

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »
Still check your amonium Ziggy, I am pretty sure it can do even better than that. Its something that maar escapes or loses its capability over time. Pretty sure it will reach -8.
 
From standing your problem will just recur.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:30:37 PM by Toppie »
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: how to service a 3 way fridge
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »
Still check your amonium Ziggy, I am pretty sure it can do even better than that. Its something that maar escapes or loses its capability over time. Pretty sure it will reach -8.
 
From standing your problem will just recur.


You are probably right - I will get it checked - I hope I can get it done in  a week - leaving next thursday to the Zambezi. I think I will phone that guy mentioned by Plugger

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal