Author Topic: Fireline Fused  (Read 8503 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Conrad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Fireline Fused
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »
Hi Guys...
When using fireline, what diameter is the best to use ,when using 9 or 10ft rod, with a oceana 4500 or exceller 4000 reel (targeting for cob, or any edible fish from the beach) 14lbs?12lbs? 20lbs?
Do you need a leader for fireline,because have read some articles/video where a guy said,they dont use a leader.
What is the best knot for fireline to leader?
Have seen some guys use a power swivel / clip fireline to leader.
Would appreciate if someone can give me some clarity.
Regards
Conrad

Offline Conrad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
any advise Homie?
 

Offline Dewald Posthumus

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
Hi,


I have the 10ft outfit with Exceler 4000 size reel loaded with 14lb fireline, works like a charm. And believe me, when you get stuck you can pull the 14lb fireline till the rod breaks!


I use short leaders on there, when fishing rocky areas, I use 25lb Maxima Ultragreen leader by tying it on with a Bob Sands leader knot or the Albright knot (check out Barry make the Albright knot with braid on www.basilmanning.co.za) it surely did help me alot to make this knot with braid as I was used to the old way of joining mono to steel with the Albright. You can also use a small swivel to connect braid to you leader, I have used that as well, but you have to be 100% confident in knotting braid to terminal tackle before you attempt this as the knots slip easily.


When spinning of the beach I use 17lb Maxima Ultragreen leader tied the same as mentioned above. All three knots will work. Practice them until you get them right.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
I use 14lb with my 9ft rod and like Dewald said it is a bastard to break if you get stuck.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
14lb-20lb is good for your application. I prefer using a longer leader (Flourocarbon), but have increased the size of the eyes of my rod to enable casting the leader knot. (I prefer casting off nylon rather than braid, which chows your finger.)
The knot I use for braid to leader is a simple one... the 7 turn Uni to Fig 8.

All the above posts work - you need to find out what works for you.

Offline Jakes

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 798
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cary, North Carolina, USA
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »
Hi Conrad,

another knot that I use for braid to leader is the 7 turn Uni knot on the braid with a figure of 8 on the leader.

Jakes
“Success is a journey, not a destination”
Ben Sweetland

Offline Dewald Posthumus

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
Hi,


When casting a lot with braid I use the stuff that the jewelers use when polishing metals which heats up. I call it finger tape, it is a material based tape that sticks onto its self. A couple of wraps over the index finger and you are sorted. Better than wearing gloves of casting nylon leaders.


It looks like a roll of insulation tape, come in green and black.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »
Hi,


When casting a lot with braid I use the stuff that the jewelers use when polishing metals which heats up. I call it finger tape, it is a material based tape that sticks onto its self. A couple of wraps over the index finger and you are sorted. Better than wearing gloves of casting nylon leaders.


It looks like a roll of insulation tape, come in green and black.


Where do I get hold of this?

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
I find the easiest and quickest knot to use is the Spyker knot and is a strong as hell, yet to loose a fish. Goes through the eyes easily with out snagging and losing to much distance. :win:

Offline Dewald Posthumus

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »
Not sure, we used to get it from our suppliers when we made Silver jewelry.


Try www.satape.co.za, I see they have Protection Tape

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »
any advise Homie?

Sorry Bro,

Only saw this now.

The advise above all rocks !

I havent used 14lbs, but i think it would be best.

I have10lbs fireline on one reel and 30lbs whiplash on the other.

Have to say, even the 10lbs is tough !!!

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »
Not sure, we used to get it from our suppliers when we made Silver jewelry.


Try www.satape.co.za, I see they have Protection Tape


 :tkx:

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »
Hi Conrad,
the knots that the guys have mentioned are the best and stronghest they all work well. From my experience what ever knot u use you should double your fireline because of the firelines thin diameter it slips very very easy thus doubling your fireline or braid increases the daimeter of the braid. one more thing i have learnt, take care when casting wind knots can become a real pain!!! the best way i have learnt to over come this is by keeping tention on your line when casting. hope this makes sense!! :hehe:   
i have added a link on line management with spinning reels so you can understand what i mean by saying keeping tension on your line when casting hope this helps you :rck"
 Saltwater Fishing The Flats: Line Management with Spinning Reels

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
guys if you battle to play the video go to youtube and type in the following;
saltwater fishing the flats: line management with spinning reels.   might be easier  to play this way.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:12:02 PM by deepblu »

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Fireline Fused
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 01:06:24 PM »
Great clip Deepblu...! Very important tips to keep your spinning experience a pleasant one!

Here are some more.... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.msg41149#msg41149

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal