Author Topic: Working with silicone mould "rubber"  (Read 3000 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Working with silicone mould "rubber"
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
One has an option of using 1 of 2 types of catalyst to set the casted mould:
Standard catalyst which cures the mould after about 10 hrs (depending on temp & humidity) Pot life about an hour after mixing
and
Fast catalyst which cures the mould after about an hour (mould is only slightly less durable but I have'nt found this to be a problem - I don't make 1000's of castings) Pot life about 3 minutes after mixing and cannot be degassed because of this.
The 2 types can be mixed to vary the curing time.
To get the best of both worlds I now do the following.
I use standard catalyst so I can take my time to cast the mould slowly and properly. After casting, the mould is placed it in the oven @ 60 deg C.  The mould then cured after 40min.
Obviously the model/plug that the mould is cast around should not be of a material that melts (eg wax) or deforms in the heated enviroment in the oven.
 
 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:47:58 AM by PH »
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal