Author Topic: Sofala Banks  (Read 11991 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Sofala Banks
« on: July 30, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
My annual St Lazarus trip has been cancelled for a second time, last year due to covid lock down and this year due to a combination of covid and the terror attacks in northern Moz.


The charter company has come up with an alternative destination - the outer edges of the Sofala Banks.


I gather the area we will be fishing is about 80 miles east south east of Beira and about 60 miles north of Bazaruto. It appears as if there is quite a decent drop off here and some nice pinnacles too.


I have managed to find a bit of information on fishing out of Beira up to about 25 miles out, but nothing on the edge of the Sofala banks.


Can anyone tell me a bit about the area - depths, currents, weather, species, tackle suggestions?


I am tackled up for Laz, mainly poppers, with a bit of jigging, plugging and plastics - but I am not sure if this will work on the Sofala banks. I gather that the pinnacles come up to around 40 metres from the surface from an average depth of about 200 metres on the ledge, so may be a bit deep for surface lure fishing?


It's always exciting heading to a new destination - but daunting as well as far as what tackle to bring. I will be flying Airlink, so will only have half the luggage allowance I am used to on LAM.


The trip is booked for the end of October.

>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Sofala Banks
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
Get in touch with the boys at Cashew bay lodge, Inhassoro (they are quite active on FB). They will probably be able to assist
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Sofala Banks
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:51 PM »
Thanks, I will look then up on FB.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal