Author Topic: Mauritius trip May 2016  (Read 4561 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Mauritius trip May 2016
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
I did a 2 week trip to Mauritius trip with mommy to a self catering place called "Le Cerisier" in Mont Choisy, NW side of the Island near Grand Baai, what an awesome place to go and unwind. I did 2 charter trips, one with an organized charter, paid a lot to pull plastic and catch nothing, we found the tunny smashing with the birds, tried all sorts but sea was like glass and fish had lockjaw. Arrange another trip with the locals on there 24foot (pirouk) boat with 2 x 15hp Yamaha Enduro motors, picked me up at 05h00 in the dark with a flashlight to navigate through the reef, oh well its the locals. Arrived at the 2 mile FAD in the dark, put out 2 x rapallas and within 100m on to a YFT of 15kg, another passes same story, 3 on the boat in 30min, decided to fish for live bait to throw for a dorado. Got live bait and I rigged one onto my Assassin 3 piece 1 x heavy, Stradic 500 with 30lb braid and 1m of 40lb fluro leader, well the locals were shaking their heads. 10min in the water I am on, 1 hour later I land a YFT of 25kg, I was then classed as a professional by the locals. Ended the morning with 8 YFT of which I got to catch 7. Called it a day at 11h00 as the wind had picked up to 25knots and was getting unpleasant and my arms and back was killing me. All in all a great day out, I did mention we had problems with sharks eating our fish in SA, there answer was they have marlin that eat theirs, oh well not really a problem is it ??
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
Nice Chris, I was wondering about your trip, we also stayed in Mont Choisy .......paid R7k for a half day charter to catch two dollies :-) And went with a mate on his Cobra and had fantastic fun catching Skipjack on bass tackle at the 10k FAD..........nice place, 2kms off shore its 1200m deep!! :hnthnt:
Just Fish!!!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »
Professional!! Yeah baby!  w;k Great stuff Chris!  (clap)

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
Great stuff Chris , did the same when i first went there back in the 80's , used one of the locals with a small basic boat and 30hp motor and went out and caught fish , cheaper no frills option but it worked , went out a couple of days later on fancy off-shore setup , caught nada/niks , ... some nice fish caught there on your trip .... (clap)   

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:32:30 AM »
Great stuff. The bonus of going "local" is you are seen as an asset, not an intruder. If we all did it a bit more here at home we would be protected, not targeted. Thx for the report.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
Lekker stuff, nice catching big Tuna on a light setup... If the taxman permits it. Thanks for the report.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »
Lekker report congrats must reved you proper on that tackle (clap)

Offline AndriesH

  • Dassie Destroyer - In die Kol dol
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 481
  • Cred: 69
  • Gender: Male
  • Here lives a cumfy fisherman and his lovely wife.
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »
Good stuff and nice report - lekker fish.

After Angola Mommy wants a "civil" trip to an island and I may have permission to fish a little.
This sounds like the spot.

 :happ:
I'm going fishing, I'm going fishing, I'm going fishing

Offline Big B

  • Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 760
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Mauritius trip May 2016
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 07:09:14 AM »
Sound and looks awesome, going to Mauritius in August on a short trip, will  explore this option.
Lets go FISHING!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal