Author Topic: Bright orange beads  (Read 7710 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Don1234

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 200
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Three Rivers
Bright orange beads
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:53:55 AM »
I have seen guys using bright orange beads on Kob traces. Can someone please explain how to use this in the correct way?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
It's normally just a free sliding bead that is above the hook. The hook has flotation on and perhaps a squid duster, the bead is above this. What it does is create a bit of extra vibration in the water by rattling against the line - Kob hunt by lateral line sense organs, which sense vibration better than most other fish. It can also aid in flotation if you use a larger bead and no flotation on the Hook. Some guys stick a toothpick through the bead to stop it from moving...

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
I use a bright orange / red sponge bead for flotation. I normally use circle hooks and let the bait hang as natural as possible to keep the hook proud. I don't bind the bait onto foam or dingle dangles therefore the flotation in the form of a bead which can move freely up and down on the hook snoot.

Offline Don1234

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 200
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Three Rivers
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys.

Offline Don1234

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 200
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Three Rivers
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
I am going on my annual Henties trip in March and would like to try it.

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
I've never left the bead to slide freely... :cnfzd always used a toothpick to stop it from sliding,I also battle to use circles without some kind of dingle dangle because the bait is hardly hooked to leave the circle proud,so it tends to tear out on fleshy baits... :dunno: unless of course you hook the circle through the head/mouth of a sardine...
Always be humble...

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
I've never left the bead to slide freely... :cnfzd always used a toothpick to stop it from sliding,I also battle to use circles without some kind of dingle dangle because the bait is hardly hooked to leave the circle proud,so it tends to tear out on fleshy baits... :dunno: unless of course you hook the circle through the head/mouth of a sardine...

Lofty I normally bind the bait together on one end with latex to form a reasonably hard point through which I place my hook.

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
I'll try that some time..I made these dingles myself with wire,a little ring at the top for the hook to be placed through and a piece of curler to bind the bait onto,in various shapes,lengths and sizes...some have a bent piece of wire at the bottom too for clipping the sinker...I'm trying to convert to circles,but it hasn't been easy,I've only caught fish using circles on livebaits not deadbaits...I find myself going back to J's with certain baits(like red crab)as I don't know how to use a circle on a crab and it's easier to bait up a J than a circle... sry for the hi-jack
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:55:13 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »
Never seen that size Beads on a rock and surf trace .


And I am a bit in two minds about pegging[using a toothpick] you can also peg your floatation with a small glass rattle , the bass guys use .
 


because , If it floats , it should/could not move when in the water . And well should it move around  abit ... might be a good thing , to entice a bite , this is just a theory ... I think that Tangled traces might be an issue ...


I know the really small orange floats ,one can buy are popular for Bronzebream , and we use them here too , for Galjoen/ Baardman , Kolsterte and Wildeperd .


I thought it was just a vloek , when I hooked and landed my first couple of Baardman on a small float , but since then have taken a few baardman on the small orange floats [ well i make mine so they are not orange , natural cork colour also on the line not on the shank ]


While we are discussing floatation , do you guys have colour preferences ?
I don't really have , but i know a few guys that swear by a certain colour , be it orange , red or white .
I tend to lean towards Red for Elf , then again when we are fishing for Elf , they go so bossies that they even eat clean shiny hooks ....
But for Kob and all other floatation , mine are natural cork colour .
I do have a friend , that paints all his sinkers White , and he swear by it , and he actually catches fish when we are battling to get pulls ... makes one think . I don't know his theory behind it , but it works for him . might be just a confidence thing ...


Think adam did a real nice post with his bronze bream Trace using those small orange floats .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Don1234

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 200
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Three Rivers
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
These are a few dingle dangles I have made for the trip.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:25:58 PM by Don1234 »

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »
Those look pretty cool Don .wrap it up with some Tjokks , and I am sure your get a pull .


Very creative .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline WJ

  • Team Blacktip
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 298
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:09 AM »
One thing I have found with circles is, dingle dangle works......but it is not the only way.
When fishing for bronze bream you present your bait as you would when fishing normal J's, this would also count for galjoen, blacktail etc. And when you are fishing a chocka blob for cob and piggies also present it the same as you would on J. Soft pilchard fillets and guts...also the same as you would on normal J. I only use the dingle when I am fishing hard baits like head baits or a tough bait. You do not want a long bait when fishing a dingle.....I learned the hard way....you miss a  lot of fish like this. Short stocky baits, like a mullet head wrapped with pillie fillets for edibles, or a chocka bait that you hammered and a cut a few legs in. They work well, but a whole fish or a whole occie leg(20cm or longer)........that is a no go.
My 2c

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Bright orange beads
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 04:51:55 PM »
I was under the impression that circle hooks always need to be proud for the hook to be effective... :dunno: will try baiting as I do with J's... :craz: does the circles' point also have to be proud,like J's...I'm :cnfzd :blush:
Always be humble...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal