Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
OFFSHORE ANGLING
»
Jigging and Popping
»
Land of the Kings
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Land of the Kings (Read 4213 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Ocean Active
Jigging and Popping
Senior Member
Posts: 295
Cred: 36
Gender:
Location: Musandam Oman
Land of the Kings
«
on:
September 02, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
For a very long time I have heard from clients and friends about the Kingfish of New Zealand. I think for me it has always been my goal to catch Bluefin Tuna in the US, GT in tropical locations and Kings in New Zealand, that seems to be the circuit that many of our clients follow at least once in a life time. New Zealand has always been on my to do list for several reasons, the main reason was to try and catch the mighty Kingfish that has a cult following, but also to visit a country that has a rich rugby tradition playing South Africa, scenery on postcards and magazines that simply blow the mind and to visit family that have moved to New Zealand and speak so highly of this great country. And WOW was everything true plus more!!
Over the years I had been speaking to Mark Armistead from Extreme Sportsfishing Adventures and we had always planned one day for me to fish in New Zealand and Mark to come out to Oman. But time seems to slip away and one year runs into the next. But finally we managed to sort out some dates and book the trip. I had also been speaking to good friend and client Tony Orton that fishes with us in Oman and owns Offshore Adventures in New Zealand. So between the three of us we came up with a game plan to try and catch a big NZ King. I sent loads of emails, FB messages, texts etc asking questions and sort in out logistics and both Mark and Tony helped get everything answered and confirmed. They are two amazing guys and extremely knowledgeable on fishing for kings and sports fishing in general. As the saying goes you cannot beat local knowledge!!
This was going to be the first long distance family trip, so we packed up half our house and filled a SUV to get to the airport. Traveling with a 5 and 1 year old for 24 hours in a plane was not going to be fun and a couple of times we thought we had bitten off more than we could handle. But I must say as much as kids give us grief sometimes they really played ball and we fantastic on the plane both ways. Also a lot of preparation by Mich to get the kids ready and have loads of food, toys etc.
We boarded the Emirates A380 plane and headed for the Land of Kings. After a 24 hour flight via Brisbane with a brief layover we finally arrived in Auckland early afternoon and still had some day light to look around and see a bit of Auckland. The first half of the trip we were going to go and stay in Lake Ferry just out side of Wellington, a small little town on he coast called Lake Ferry. The place is simply stunning with lakes, green rolling hills and the beach. The first week went by with us taking trips along the coast watching seals, climbing lighthouses, feeding lambs, eating great food and doing our fair share of wine tasting!
My precious! New Zealand has a lot of the Lord of the Rings happening, great fun for the kids and adults alike!
The family ready to roll in our hires car packed to the roof!
Our batch for the holiday, right on Lake Ferry
Michs sister and husband's family own and run the Lake Ferry Pub and Hotel. An amazing place that was built in the 1850s as a ferry station. Gourmet Pub food and a great place to socialize!
Mich and Zack with the seals!
Ava and I at the Cape Palliser Lighthouse
We had great fun driving around the wine farms of Martinborough tasting wine and exploring.
Wine tasting with Mich
After a great week with the family it was time for me to head off fishing. The family were staying in Wellington and I headed back to Auckland to meet up with Tony. Tony was at the airport and we headed up to his place in Mangawhai Heads about 1.5 hours from Auckland. The country side and scenery is totally incredible and coming from a desert looking at all the greenery and rivers is something I could not get enough of! We arrived in the small town of Mangawhai and drove passed the beach and Tony explained the fishing and all of the islands and fishing possibilities. Really great place. We stayed at Tony's place and was great to meet Bea and 4 week old Sami!!
Tony's cruiser at the airport!
We were going to go and fish up north but the weather was not looking so good so we decided to stay in Mangawhai and see if we could get out on Tonys center console to target some snapper inshore. Early the next morning we woke up and the conditions were looking alright and after a good breakfast we headed down to the slip and launched. I must say I was not expecting to much but Tony was confident of some good fish. We headed around a point to a sheltered bay and started doing a few drifts targeting snapper on plastics. All of a sudden Tony got excited and was saying it a bust up and gannets are going crazy!! I think I have good eyes but I could not see what Tony was getting excited about. We gunned the engine and headed for the back of the bay a few kilometers away, finally I picked up masses of gannets diving a proper big bust up. It reminded me of the sardine runs in South Africa, gannets diving all over making big white bubble trails. We quickly got out the rods and started working the plastics in and around the busting birds. Tony was quickly in to a fish which turned out to be a kawaihai and then he got another and another. I clearly did not have the local touch! Finally I managed to hook a small Kawaihae and my got myself onto the board! This was also one of the species I wanted to catch.
Tony's center console
We spent a bit of time drifting and catching Kawaihai and enjoying watching the gannets till Tony hooked something that took off like a rocket and pulled off some good line on the light gear. Tony had hooked something bigger and right away he said snapper! After a great fight he landed a nice NZ snapper. Really great fish to see after reading so much about them in magazines. Plus amazing to catch these fish in 12m of water! Tony got another snapper and then finally I had a good hit and set the hook. The fish pulled some line and kept deep, I put on the pressure and got my first NZ snapper to the boat. A great little fish that gave up a good fight for the size. A good few pictures and we released the fish. A few minutes later we were fishing the back end of the gannet bust up and I had a soft bite and as I set the hook the fish took off! Clearly a much bigger fish. I had my light rig which I have caught fish from tiger to tuna to small GTs, so I know I can put a good amount of pressure, but still I could hardly bug the fish, another few good runs, I started asking "can a snapper reef you??" Finally I got the fishes head and got a great snapper to the boat! Very chuffed with a decent sized NZ snapper. We released the fish and the fishing slowed down and by midday we headed back to the slip after a great morning session that I had totally not expected.
Diving Gannets
Amazing scene!
Tony with the first snapper of the day
Very happy with my first NZ snapper
Bending on my Aerocast and Stella 4000! Getting a great work out!
A good sized NZ snapper in shallow water!
After a great dinner and meeting up with Nicky Sinden from the fishing show Addicted to Fishing and Nick Berthoud from Shimano NZ we headed up the coast to Kerikeri. Tony has his new Offshore Boat being built so he had arranged for us to fish with Phil Barchet from Reel Life Charters. We headed up and stayed at Phils Man Cave which was a great experience. We met up with the last team member for the trip Mandy Kupenga from the Fishing show Get your Fish on. Was really great to be fishing with some of NZ fishing celebs!! After a good few beers and fishing talk we hit the hay!
Phils man cave!!
Our batch for the night
Some more spectacular country!
Early the next morning we were all up and on the move. Phil had launched his boat and was ready when we arrived. We headed out of the estuary and towards an island just offshore. The water was looking a bit dirty so we only had a few casts with stickabits with not much activity except for a cuda coming up and hitting my 120gr Gamma!! Think the bloody thing had a message from his Oman cousins to take my Gamma!! I was told this was a first, then it happened again!!
After a bit of time and only a few small fishing coming up Phil said the best option would be to head offshore and jig for the kings. I had ultimately wanted to catch a king on top water but I was just as eager to catch my first king, and this decision turned out to be the right one!! Phil really knows his waters and tactics and we had a fantastic day. From the first drop we got into smaller fish almost all day on jig. I caught my first, second, third, tenth king. Most of the fish were small and everyone was telling me what to expect. Then finally I had a good hit and felt the head shake. I got a few turns back onto the Stella 8000 PG when the fish came alive and started ripping off line! The reel was singing and loads of shouts from the boat! I had hooked into a proper king! The fish put on the heat and was really strong and gave me a good fight. I gained line back only to loose and then gain again. Finally I saw the number plate and still the fish was going bananas and trying to dive and pulling line. The fish fought all the way to the boat and even once we landed it. A really great chunky King. This was my first big NZ king that the guys put at over 20kgs. With sore arms I had achieved my mission of catching a good NZ king!!
Capt Phils boat, Reel Life
Bending on my first big king
Very happy with my king!
We carried on catching fish till later in the afternoon when the bait started to stack up on the pinnacles and the fishing went wild. This is some of the best jigging I have ever experienced. We had double, triples, quadruple and quintuple hook ups. Everyone was hooking and landing fish. I managed a couple more big fish with my biggest fish of the day being around 25kgs. Really great fishing and the kings are one very strong fish!! Finally the sun started to set and we headed back to the harbor with very weary bodies but happy as hell! We must have landed in the region on 60 kings and one big snapper for the day!
Nicky bending
Tony bending on a new Shimano Prototype jigging rod
Tony with a decent king
Mandy putting on the heat
Mandy with a good king
Another big king
My biggest king for the day a chunky 25kg fish
Nick with a king
Mandy with a big snapper!
Finally the day came to an end and we cruised back at sunset to the harbor.
The A Team. Great bunch and loved meeting and fishing with everyone!
«
Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:29:29 AM by Ocean Active
»
Logged
Lenny
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 2529
Cred: 124
Gender:
Catch and Release
Location: Struisbaai
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #1 on:
September 02, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
OMWWWW super report , nice pics !
And some serious Geelstert !!!!
Logged
Self catering , family accommodation available in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225
Prego
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 2880
Cred: 167
Gender:
Because I said so
Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #2 on:
September 02, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
Great report Nick, looks a nice part of the world.
What lb braid were you using on your 8K for those Kings?
Logged
SAfish
Angler of the Month - April 2015
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 4238
Cred: 137
Gender:
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #3 on:
September 02, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
Awesome report and even more awesome catches!
Logged
Lucky Hook
Senior Member
Posts: 66
Cred: 11
Gender:
Location: Ballito, Kwazulu-Natal
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #4 on:
September 02, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »
Thanks for a fantastic Report with awesome pictures.
These are trips all fishermen dream about!!!
Logged
L Hooker
Ultimate member
Posts: 1330
Cred: 55
Gender:
Location: Pretoria
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #5 on:
September 02, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
Awesome report thanks for sharing, congrats on some bus YT
Logged
REEFMAN
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 9766
Cred: 768
Gender:
Location: Jozi
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #6 on:
September 02, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
Another great report Nick!
Logged
Willie
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 2033
Cred: 237
Gender:
Ultimate Novice
Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #7 on:
September 02, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »
WOW!!!
Logged
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office
Ocean Active
Jigging and Popping
Senior Member
Posts: 295
Cred: 36
Gender:
Location: Musandam Oman
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #8 on:
September 02, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »
Thanks guys, was a really awesome trip and well worth the hours in the plane!
Hi Prego, I was using Sunline Jigger PE6. This is most probably slightly to heavy for the rod I was using but I wanted to be able to palm and hold the fish if I had too. I had listened to quite a few stories of guys getting smoked by big fish so I opted for a lighter rod to get a good action with heavier braid.
Cheers,
Nick
Logged
Prego
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 2880
Cred: 167
Gender:
Because I said so
Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #9 on:
September 02, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
Thanks Nick, with the PE6 can you even get 200m on that spool?
Logged
Ocean Active
Jigging and Popping
Senior Member
Posts: 295
Cred: 36
Gender:
Location: Musandam Oman
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #10 on:
September 02, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »
I've got a SOM 16K spool so most probably got 280m on the spool. I've jigged 230m but a bit of a chance if something bigger than a guppie comes along!
Logged
Ocean Active
Jigging and Popping
Senior Member
Posts: 295
Cred: 36
Gender:
Location: Musandam Oman
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #11 on:
September 08, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »
After an amazing introduction to fishing for Kings and fishing with some great people it was time to move again. Tony and I headed back to his place in Mangawhai to sleep like the dead after a hard days fishing with the kings putting all my body to the test! They are one strong customer! The next day we repacked and it was Samis first road trip. We headed down to Tauranga to meet up with Mark Armistead. Mark and I have been talking for years about me fishing for Kings and him coming and fishing for GTs in Oman. So it was really exciting to be heading down finally to fish out of Maunganui and Mayor Island. Yet another amazing drive through the NZ country and little Sami being good as gold we arrived at our batch in Maunganui.
Heading through the endless green hills
Marks King Machine!
We arrived at midday and Mark was ready to head out with some nice calm weather. The team was Mark, Tony, Aaron Dillon and myself. Nothing like a little afternoon session to get our blood pumping. Mark is truly a top water expert and it was very interesting listening to the tactics and plans. As much as I love jigging stick baits and top water is what I really enjoy and why I travel to try find that next fix! We fished various areas and there was only a few showings on the finder. Finally the sun started to dip behind the horizon and we headed home. IT was great to be putting in long casts and working the stick baits, I was almost expecting a GT to come up!!
Heading in from Mayor Island
We settled into our batch and had a good meal and early to bed. It was a bit of a battle to sleep with all the excitement. I was really amped to catch a king on top water and after the taste the afternoon before I felt like it was going to be a big fish if it was going to come. The fishing was not easy with not many showings but Marks stories and the conditions made for some high expectations. Early the following morning we were up and headed back down to the marina to meet up with Mark. Back on the boat and headed back out to Mayor Island. We discussed a few plans but the general idea was to catch a king on topwater and put in the casts and hours. We fished around the island with little success putting in hundreds of casts. Mark was always moving looking for signs and fish. A few excited moments when big fish showed on the finder but we could not get them hooked up. Finally Aaron was fishing off the stern of the boat and he had a fish come up and slam the lure, bang fish on!! After a good little fight a Mark landed a small king for Aaron. It was not the monster we were looking for but we were on the board!!
Aaron bending
Small king
We had some lunch around the side of the island, relaxed for a while and then back to the casting. We fished shallow, deep. Then as the day was starting to come to an end we started to see some good baitfish showings and there was a feel of expectation in the air. The sun was starting to set, the wind had dropped and the conditions were perfect. We were all fishing in different directions when I put a cast off the stern towards the island. I was working my 120gr Gamma slowly with long sweeps when all of a sudden out of the depths the water erupted under the lure with white water flying everywhere, tails in the air, screaming from me, Aaron shouting out "is it a seal??" I set the hook and the fish took off like a rocket on the Stella 14000. I had the fish hooked up on the Endless Passion 85/36 and let the rod take the pressure. We were in 60m of water so I was confident not to get reefed, but after loosing about 30/40ms of line I had to start palming the fish. This is why I had come to NZ. The fish sat deep and I started to get some line back but then about half way up and fish took another blistering run. Again I palmed the reel and got the fish under control. I got line back onto the reel and finally saw his number plate. It was a big fish but it was by no means over, the fish dived several times and did not give up. Finally after a few attempts to get the fish onto the surface I managed to swim the fish to Mark to land!! A huge relief and my first big king on top water!! Really awesome moment and something I wanted to achieve for a long time!! We got a good few pictures and released the fish to swim back to the depths!!
Thumbs up!!
Putting on the pressure!
Working the fish to the boat
Big King
Very happy with my first NZ king on top water. Fought like a demon possessed!
It was the perfect ending to the day. We packed up the gear and headed back in with another glorious sunset following us. The next day we fished with Belinda Thomas from Totally Fly. We fished hard on the last day but did not raise any fish, Belinda showed us how it was done with a good sized king on jig. The day ended with lots of talk and future plans. I found New Zealand very friendly everyone wanting to chat and everyone seemed to be fishing made!! In all New Zealand is a great place, with incredible fishing, food and people. I will definitely be back next year for round 2!! Big thank you to Tony, Mark and everyone that made this trip amazing!!
Cheers,
Nick
«
Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:08:23 AM by Ocean Active
»
Logged
Seventenths
Ultimate Legend
Posts: 1454
Cred: 0
Gender:
Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Land of the Kings
«
Reply #12 on:
September 08, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
awesome trip Nick!
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
OFFSHORE ANGLING
»
Jigging and Popping
»
Land of the Kings
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal