So there I was in the kitchen, preparing the salad for supper last night. Baby Son (all 6ft +) had gone bass fishing in a friend's dam in Himeville. He arrives and Hubby calls me to the scullery to see his catch(es). There, on the sink, are 2 lovely bass which are still breathing. I give praise and sadly comment that they are still alive. Baby Son's face lights up (a light bulb moment) and says I know, I'll put them in this dam. This "dam" is my duckpond in my garden, which also has 8 x 2.5kg trout (the remanents of our brood stock from the hatchery) and 20 of the fastest growing trout from last year, which were stocked at 12 inches. There is NO way that bass are being introduced, not a chance. I put my foot down. In the meantime the sink is filled to overflowing with water and the bass are put into it. I go and refresh my glass of wine, which I had gulped down at the prospect of bass in my pond, and hear bath water running. Hubby and Baby Son are still trying to resuscitate the bass. I comment on the bath water running. "Oh ja, that's for the bass" - right! In my guest bathroom?
Mission "Resuscitate Bass" is in full swing. The bass are whipped to the bathroom and Baby Son spends the next hour swimming the bass up and down the bath. I decide that if you can't beat them, join them. We get the little pump from the proper "pond", an extension cord and hey presto - an oxygenator. The bass took about 2 hours to fully recover and spent the night in the bath. We spent the night listening to water cascading from the pump - it is worse than a dripping tap!
This morning the bass, which are now strong, were successfully released into the bottom dam, which has lots of bass.