ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => DIY Forum => Topic started by: Willie on April 17, 2012, 08:42:11 AM

Title: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Willie on April 17, 2012, 08:42:11 AM
Over the weekend I went into my little workshop where all my woodwork tools are standing. Just to see if they all still OK no rust and so on because I haven't used it for quite some time. While looking around I find some off cuts of Rosewood from a table I made. I thought that this will make a nice box to store my reel in and for transporting it when I go to the coast. Tackle is expensive stuff and needs to be protected. Put some pieces through the planer saw it to size glued it together and their a box for my Torium30. Still need to finish it of put some foam on the inside, fasten the lid and some locks. Ramona said I am crazy doing all of this for a R50-00 reel. :hehe:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: John F on April 17, 2012, 08:44:43 AM
Hehehe... tell her a R50 reel could catch a R1,000.000 fish!!!!! Well done Willie!
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: REEFMAN on April 17, 2012, 08:45:29 AM
That would take me a month to make!! Fantastic skills Willie!
Just line it with some Felt or sponge to stop scuffing. And perhaps some ventilation holes?

A R50 Reel.....  :hyst: ... jou skelm!
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 08:46:38 AM
 (clap)  Nice 1 Willie ...  :win:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Lichia amia on April 17, 2012, 08:47:20 AM
Neat work Willy .  :resp:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: John F on April 17, 2012, 08:48:14 AM
Willie,

When you done and if you keeping the reel in the box for storage, put one or two of those little silica bags... sucks the moisture out of your R50 reel!
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 17, 2012, 08:49:22 AM
 :yipee:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Willie on April 17, 2012, 08:51:33 AM
Thanks for the advice JF and Reefz will do that.
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: deezynking on April 17, 2012, 09:34:25 AM
R50-00 Reel, can i send you and order?
is this retail or wholesale price?
Discount?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 :hyst:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Willie on April 17, 2012, 09:43:58 AM
R50-00 Reel, can i send you and order?
is this retail or wholesale price?
Discount?
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 :hyst:

Luckily my wife never goes into a tackle shop otherwise I will get (bat
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Sylvester on April 17, 2012, 11:24:03 AM
That is awesome Willie! My dad is a carpenter and I have only ever seen him produce little master pieces like that before.......well done fella!
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: deezynking on April 17, 2012, 12:25:56 PM
Just 1 Question
 
Is that big box not gonna be heavy and a mission to carry around?
if its in storage, awesome... but moving it around all the time on a trip?  :dunno:
Great box thou
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Willie on April 17, 2012, 12:30:51 PM
Deenzyking correct Rosewood is a solid wood that is heavy, it is intended to store the reel in and for when I travel from my place to wherever I am going to fish to protect the reel. I have since the weekend come up with the idea to make one big box for all my reels and than they will be protected and take them out as I need them to go fishing.
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Sailor on April 25, 2012, 10:12:17 AM
Amazing Willie. Guess what I am going to get JR to help me with this weekend?
 :shre:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: PH on April 25, 2012, 10:27:05 AM
Great idea and VERY neat work Willie!!
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: SAfish on April 25, 2012, 10:39:25 AM
Great job, Willie! A suggestion if I may: when you make the big box, add some velcro straps to hold the reels down when in transport.  w;k
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Homie on April 25, 2012, 10:46:23 AM
Great job, Willie! A suggestion if I may: when you make the big box, add some velcro straps to hold the reels down when in transport.  w;k

Cover the reel in Cling film and use expanding foam to make a sort of bed for the reel
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: deezynking on April 25, 2012, 10:51:38 AM
Deenzyking correct Rosewood is a solid wood that is heavy, it is intended to store the reel in and for when I travel from my place to wherever I am going to fish to protect the reel. I have since the weekend come up with the idea to make one big box for all my reels and than they will be protected and take them out as I need them to go fishing.

Shot willie, makes sense  :corrct:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: REEFMAN on April 25, 2012, 11:14:37 AM
Great job, Willie! A suggestion if I may: when you make the big box, add some velcro straps to hold the reels down when in transport.  w;k

Cover the reel in Cling film and use expanding foam to make a sort of bed for the reel

Sheeesh now that's a BRILLIANT idea!!  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Rory mundy on April 25, 2012, 01:22:52 PM
that could go horribly wrong tried the same thing luckly not with a reel but everything is still stuck to gether
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Sylvester on April 25, 2012, 06:01:08 PM
that could go horribly wrong tried the same thing luckly not with a reel but everything is still stuck to gether
Was thinking the same thing.......eina.....that could have a horrible ending. That expanding foam is powerful stuff, could rip that cling wrap to shreds then its all over bar the cursing!
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: REEFMAN on April 25, 2012, 06:03:40 PM
Maybe cover the reel with a few wraps of newspaper?
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: isivuba on April 25, 2012, 06:07:02 PM
wrap it in cling wrap and make the mould out of silicone.......just and idea
Title: Re: Wooden box for reel
Post by: Homie on April 25, 2012, 06:37:39 PM
that could go horribly wrong tried the same thing luckly not with a reel but everything is still stuck to gether

I've actually done it with great success.. Used it in a plastic tub, worked well, just cause the tub was plastic, the foam cracked. Trick is to use very small quantities and add as you go along, just before the foam sets
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal