ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => DIY Forum => Topic started by: Nemesis. on March 11, 2012, 09:53:07 PM

Title: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Nemesis. on March 11, 2012, 09:53:07 PM
Been wanting one of those Black and White Polystyrene chillers that I've seen a lot of anglers use, Needless to say they aren't as good as Safari and Pacific Chillers, but they are sufficient enough to keep the bait frozen for an 8 hour comp and they are way lighter then the Safari or Pacific chiller. So off i go down to my local tackle shop to purchase one, unfortunately he doesn't have stock. So what the heck i decide to build myself one :clwn
For this project i purchased a 12lt  Polystyrene cooler box, Roof Membrane and Sealant, Exterior Enamel Paint(Black & White), Paint Brushes, Thumb pins, Masking Tape, High Density foam, Contact Cement and a Nylon Cutting Board.
The Raw Materials
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/1.jpg)


The Original Heb Cooler Box
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/2.jpg)


Step one - Apply a thick coat of roof sealant to the inside and outside of the cooler box, there after rap the cooler box with the Roof Membrane and secure with Thumb pins.
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/3.jpg)


Step Two - Once the membrane is dry to the touch, apply another layer off sealant over it, let dry and repeat another two times there after.
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/4.jpg)


Step Three - Once the Roof Membrane is properly dry, mask of a line which will seperate the White Paint from the Black Paint.The Black hides any scuff marks during use.
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/5.jpg)


The Paint - Use only Enamel Paint and not a Water based paint as this will wash off.
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/6.jpg)


Step Four - One painted its time to organize the lid, i purchased a thick Nylon cutting board, there after i cut it down to the required size.
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/7.jpg)


Step Five - Now its time to attach the Foam to the lid. The foam acts as insulation preventing any cold air from seeping out. I used contact adhesive to glue the foam to the lid.
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/9.jpg)


Step Six - The Final Product, Note i added a piece of Hose pipe to the handle for extra comfort.
(http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc448/Bouser88/10.jpg)


IMPORTANT NOTES WHILST CONSTRUCTING YOUR OWN :
1 - Use a sharp scissors to get a clean cut of the membrane.
2 - After step one, and the first coat of sealant has dried, remove the thumb pins.
3 - Use proper High Density foam on the lid. Inferior foam will not keep your bait frozen for an extended amount of time.
4 - Before applying the glue to the foam, make sure you take measurements of the inside of the cooler box and cut the foam accordingly. A lose fit between the lid and cooler box is no good.
5 - Let the foam and lid bond properly before use, place something heavy onto the foam whilst its drys on the lid. This will help the bonding process.
6 - Use cutting fluid when cutting the Nylon for the lid to keep the blade cool, as the Nylon tends to melt and stick back together when the blade is hot.
7 - When buying a Heb Cooler, make sure it has Nylon bushes where the handle enters the cooler, if it doesn't have these bushes, the handle will eat into the cooler over time.
Hope you guys enjoy this thread and have many successes building your own! :tite

Title: Re: 1
Post by: MIKE PIKE on March 11, 2012, 10:03:10 PM
Great D.I.Y on a simple yet effective bait box ..Good one Nemesis... :shre: .. :+ cred:
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Manuel Junior on March 11, 2012, 10:23:41 PM
 :shre: Nice D.I.Y :+ cred: (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Toppie on March 12, 2012, 05:56:51 AM
Good one Nems!
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Fritz on March 12, 2012, 06:58:03 AM
Very nice tut their Nems. Really impresed. :+ cred:
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: John F on March 12, 2012, 07:49:04 AM
Great DIY project! Proposed for post of the month! :+ cred:
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Kumz on March 12, 2012, 07:58:12 AM
Great Post , Thanks for sharing ...
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: super_daav on March 12, 2012, 08:29:13 AM
Hi Nemesis, nice tut! Why use the roof sealant & membrane? Is this to prevent fluids seeping into the inside box as it seems you have only wrapped the outside?
 
Well done again.
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Nemesis. on March 12, 2012, 08:46:22 AM
Hi Nemesis, nice tut! Why use the roof sealant & membrane? Is this to prevent fluids seeping into the inside box as it seems you have only wrapped the outside?
 
Well done again.
Thanks guys comments much appreciated.@Super Daav,the roof sealant and membrane acts as added insultation as well as protection for the Polystyrene,which by itself chips and breaks of very easily.I've coated the inside of the cooler as well with the membrane and sealant.I've also painted the inside of the cooler as well.Roof membrane by itself stains very easily,thus the use of Enamel paint to prevent staining.
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Homie on March 12, 2012, 10:03:03 AM
Awesome post !!!

 :+ cred:

Oh,
And  :welc:
KZN TEAM !
 (clap)
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Nemesis. on March 12, 2012, 07:21:50 PM
Awesome post !!!

 :+ cred:

Oh,
And  :welc:
KZN TEAM !
 (clap)
Hey bro :udman: thanks noticed the new profile. Will get some reports together as soon as i get down to the beach this weekend
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Naruto on March 13, 2012, 12:28:35 AM

Awesome post !!!

 :+ cred:

One question: what was the total cost of this project?
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Nemesis. on March 13, 2012, 07:12:11 AM

Awesome post !!!

 :+ cred:

One question: what was the total cost of this project?
Hey Naruto,total cost was about R240.I already had a roll of roof membrane and sealant at home which is another R60 but my dad already purchased that a while back.The cost of the above cooler box in some tackle shops vary from R300 to R500 or more.But the good thing is that there is plenty left over paint,roof membrane,sealant and foam to make another four coolerboxes or so which one can sell to cover costs.
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Habib on March 13, 2012, 08:51:56 AM
nice one lytie. when am i picking my one up? +cred
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Arkitek on March 13, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
thats such a top idea!!! i think i'll do the same with mine...well im not sure how heavy its gonna get though cos i picked up a big polystyrene one from basil for R50 lol
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Nemesis. on March 13, 2012, 04:17:28 PM
nice one lytie. when am i picking my one up? +cred
Bala Boy hahaha shot larney. Let me finish up exams by end of this month and I'll hook you up with one. I'll be expecting you to hook me up with one of your pretty ninja connections hey :crzy :hehe:
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Nemesis. on March 13, 2012, 04:19:20 PM
thats such a top idea!!! i think i'll do the same with mine...well im not sure how heavy its gonna get though cos i picked up a big polystyrene one from basil for R50 lol
Hey bud the weight it gains once its done versus a plain Heb coolers weight is minimal, you won't be able to tell the difference by just picking up the two. :rck"
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Angler 1 on November 09, 2014, 06:21:57 PM
hi guys where c a i get a HEB cooler in cape town

Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: CLS on November 10, 2014, 07:37:14 AM
hi guys where c a i get a HEB cooler in cape town
Any tackle shop should have them, or even Pick & Pay.
Title: Re: D.I.Y COOLER BOX / CHILLER
Post by: Angler 1 on November 10, 2014, 09:53:13 PM
 :yipee:no such luck. There are other manufacturers that make those medical boxes in a 22 lt but none with the handles , my concern is the thickness compared to HEB product, I'm in Pretoria tomorrow and I battled to find HEB products online there aswell. The number for HEB in Durban does not work I tried today it's engaged permantly
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal