ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Dropshot fishing => Topic started by: Herman Jooste on December 11, 2011, 02:14:26 PM
-
Hi ALL, well we're off to the anual famdamily holiday, this year in J bay.
I am taking a medium drop shot rig, loaded with 12lb mono.
I would like to know, am I undergunned with 12 lb ? and secondly what are the best drop shot lures to use around the area ????
I'm also taking a 7-9 # Elbe flyrod with an intermediate and a DI6 sinking line.
I have quite a few clousers and other non descript salt water flys, but no small crazy charlies. Should I invest in some or not ?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
-
I wouldn't say you're undergunned for dropshotting from the shore. Make sure you have some camo worm to throw around the rocks for everything from bronze bream to blacktail. Other than that I'm not too sure what the guys target down there
-
Herman, there is a book by Leon Vermeulen - Fish like a local... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,3900.msg46573.html#msg46573 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,3900.msg46573.html#msg46573)
All about Jbay, spots, fish traces, baits whatever you want... it's a worthwhile addition to your collection...
-
Thanks for the tips guys.
I went out 3 mornings. All 3 sessions were fished at Aston, off the "pier" near the Walskipper restruant.
First morning I started of with a 2" blue shad curly tail. Felt a few bumps and every time the curly tail was bitten off just behind the hook. Looked carefully into the water on the next cast and found the culprits, blaasoppies !
Changed to a more solid plastic and managed to land a baby elf ( +/- 200mm ). :happ:
Day 2 i started with the little green fish and soon landed a spoon that someone had lost, ( really thought I had a fish on :blush: . ) Tied the spoon on and then caught someone's shad rig, complete with bung :blush: . This I gave to a bloke who had the right tackle. His comment, not a bad day for you, at least R100 worth of tackle caught. :shk
Day 3 and I tried something different. Tied the spoon on and then about 40cm above it a fly ( small 3" clouser ) on a dropper, the thinking being that I would be creating my own chase. :dunno: 3rd cast and I landed a 380mm elf, on the fly :craz: which was gladly taken off my hands by one of the R&S manne, who quickly returned it to the sea, albeit with a few additions. w;k w;k
The same R&S (R@S) guy landed a small skate earlier as well as a nice elf ( 500mm ).
An enjoyable holiday indeed.
-
herman I am glad that you are enjoying the trip, keep it up and you will land the big one!