ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Rory on November 04, 2011, 11:21:58 AM
-
Right guys, here are a few examples of different leader setups than can be used for short line nymphing. Again my drawings are not the definitve/must use/only setups. There are plenty different variations that can be used. These should give you a good idea of how you can still use a heavy control fly to get down to the fish if you don't like the NZ rig. The knot used to tie the loops is entirely preference.
Alternately some guys use tiny 3 way swivels or micro tippet rings or even loop to loop joins to add flies. The distance between the flies all depends on where you want your flies to drift through the water column.
I've used red arrows to indicate different placements for the heavier control fly.
NB: these drawings aren't to scale!
2 fly setups:
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/variation1.jpg)
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/variation2.jpg)
3 fly setups:
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/variation3.jpg)
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/variation4.jpg)
Heres an example of typical lengths:
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/lengths.jpg)
These lengths are a guideline only!!!
If needs be a revolving dropper can be added to the 2 fly rig to convert it into a 3 fly rig.
If anyone has a sketch they'd like me to add, drop me a PM, no problemo! w;k
-
:resp: Rory another great post!
-
I caught my first yellow on the first rig!
Rory thank you for taking the time to do these! :+ cred:
-
The 3 fly set up you showed is what was allowed in the comps, flys were not alowed to be closer than 40cm.
You drawings are excellent :win: , how do you do them?
-
Lekker report as all ways (clap)
-
Rory sorry for the hijack, but I also like this setup, I call it a combined rig.......
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/COMBINEDRIGMedium.jpg)
-
Rory sorry for the hijack, but I also like this setup, I call it a combined rig.......
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/COMBINEDRIGMedium.jpg)
ET, that is the New Zealand type rigging to your point fly like on the other thread which this post was to offer an alternative to that.
-
I know that Mike. I just like this Czech/NZ reg, thats why I call it combined.
You can also tie the middle fly in with a loop, then you can change it if need be and then it's actually the same as the Czech Nymph rig.
When the Czech Nymph Rig as explained by Rory is slow or not producing any fish, I change to this and boom, I am into fish. :hnthnt:
-
Rory sorry for the hijack, but I also like this setup, I call it a combined rig.......
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/COMBINEDRIGMedium.jpg)
Lol! Post away! I use that exact rig on occasion as well!! :clwn
Posted the rig long ago: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,512.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,512.0.html)
-
...............You drawings are excellent :win: , how do you do them?..........
Mike depending which computer I end up on I'll draw them in either Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW, and then convert them into .jpg format for posting.
-
Lol! Post away! I use that exact rig on occasion as well!! :clwn
Posted the rig long ago: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,512.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,512.0.html)
Rory that rig is one of my favorites for the Vaal... w;k
-
Great post!!! Rory :resp: