ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Herman Jooste on October 19, 2011, 07:59:30 PM

Title: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 19, 2011, 07:59:30 PM
Guys and Girls, Methinks it's time for another Vaal trip.  :clwn
 
The trip is open for anyone who wishes to fish the Vaal for Yellows on fly.  Walkers amd Mrs Simpson,it's time you caught a decent freshwater fish  w;k
 
The dates are the 26 /27 November. ( Set in Stone ).
 
I am sure there will be people wishing to camp / stay in Chalets overnight so the venue will have to be SWAMBO/ Family/  wading friendly ( for newbies ) as well as not too far from GP.
 
Depending on numbers there are a few venues, i.e.
 
Oord Nebo ( They seem to have got their act together ito catch & release )
Eastco
Elgro
Raaswater.
 
WE need to set a venue quickly so that we can book, so chasps blast away.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on October 20, 2011, 06:01:21 AM
I'm in. I vote Elgro or Eastco. Oord Nebo is extremely busy now days.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on October 20, 2011, 07:28:12 AM
How about we do eastco? and I am so there, might even bring mrs ic for a weekend.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: christosch on October 20, 2011, 08:17:54 AM
Went to Elgro last year for the Bells Fly Festival and was very impressed with the venue - nice rooms/chalets and it was very affordable. Would love to join you guys. I'm struggling with the yellows, usually go to Woelwaters but haven't caught anything yet - would appreciate a few lessons from the pro's!!!
 :happ:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on October 20, 2011, 10:15:30 AM
Sterling idea Herman!  :udman:  I must just double check the dates with my "Minister of Home Affairs", but I dont think it'll be a problem!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Poenskop on October 20, 2011, 10:35:45 AM
I should make it. Will confirm at a later stage.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 20, 2011, 07:05:18 PM
OK then it's either Elgro or Eastco.
 
Which one ? Eastco has more wadeable water close by. ?
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on October 20, 2011, 07:15:52 PM
I do not know Elgro's water other than the drift (row :crzy ) that we did a while ago but it has an excellent reputation.

 Eastco has some easy wading water directly in front of the venue plus a lot more water for anyone willing to explore. It also has the option of camping as well as chalets.

i will be spending the night and fishing both days regardless of venue.
 
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on October 21, 2011, 08:33:51 AM

 ......Eastco has some easy wading water directly in front of the venue plus a lot more water for anyone willing to explore. It also has the option of camping as well as chalets....


I'll second Andrew here, plus we won't have to drive to the other side of the planet!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on October 21, 2011, 08:39:40 AM
I think we should vote, maybe we should see if we can get a chalet or two. (When voting indicate if you are a snorer)

icstuff: eastco(Chalet)
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on October 21, 2011, 08:43:14 AM
I think we should vote, maybe we should see if we can get a chalet or two. (When voting indicate if you are a snorer)

icstuff: eastco(Chalet)

If I stay over I'll be camping!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: christosch on October 21, 2011, 09:01:26 AM
Would like to take the Missus along (if there are no objections). So a chalet for me please.
(Don't mind Eastco or Elgro)
 
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 21, 2011, 01:57:58 PM
OK Eastco it is.
For those wanting a chalet I suggest you book now .
 
I will phone them now and see what the story is.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on October 21, 2011, 02:02:59 PM
Nice one Herman! I will be camping, going to phone them and book today.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 21, 2011, 02:08:57 PM
I've just spoken to Susan at Eastco. All the chalets are still open for that weekend and about 12 Camping spots.
She will e-mail me the rates which I will post once too hand.
 
Susan's no is : 083 379 2872.
 
P.S. When booking please tell her it's for the Ultimate trip. I'm trying to squeeze some discount out of them. :hnthnt: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: AdrianPowrie on October 21, 2011, 03:37:15 PM
Great idea HHJ, will make a plan and block that weekend out and stay over...
Camp or chalet is no problem.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on October 21, 2011, 03:50:04 PM
I've phoned and booked my camping spot :clwn
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 21, 2011, 03:52:47 PM
Ok here's the tariff's .
   
NB: jy betaal per tent OF karavaan  nie per staanplek nie
  Kamp:R150.00 per nag 2persone 1 karavaan OF tent 1 kar. Eksta persone of  kinders vanaf 5 jaar. Of ekstra voertuig R50.00 per nag ekstra. Charlet:  R400.00 2 persone
  R500.00 per nag 2 volwassens 2 klein kinders
  R600.00 per nag 4 persone 1 voertuig
  R800.00 per nag 6 persone 2 voertuie
  KINDERS VANAF 5 JAAR TEL AS PERSOON
  R300.00 sleutel dep (kontant)
  50% dep by bespreking
 
I hope that clarifies things.
   
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Lichia amia on October 23, 2011, 03:36:02 PM
Sounds Good , work permitting gonna try and make it  :frid fshg
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on October 24, 2011, 08:55:26 AM
Was just informed that our year end function is the 26th, but will be there on the 27th
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 24, 2011, 09:13:33 PM
Was just informed that our year end function is the 26th, but will be there on the 27th

Would you like a "lift"  w;k
 
I will only be going through the Sunday. :-)
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on October 25, 2011, 07:21:29 AM
Will you keep a space for me :)
I Will be packing some extra fuel!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 26, 2011, 07:42:02 PM
Will you keep a space for me :)
I Will be packing some extra fuel!

 
Hehehehe, No Problemo Pieter. :-)
 
It actually makes economic sense to go in 1 vehichle. :happ:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 26, 2011, 07:46:18 PM
Ok guys didnt see this  duh

I think I will leave the Bass and stocked Trout alone and join you for my first 'proper' Yellow session... Mrs Simpson will come with me...

So we are fishing Eastco? Never been anywhere on the Vaal for years and years where is it? And how do I organise accommodation/ camping?
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on October 26, 2011, 07:51:06 PM
Ok guys didnt see this  duh

I think I will leave the Bass and stocked Trout alone and join you for my first 'proper' Yellow session... Mrs Simpson will come with me...

So we are fishing Eastco? Never been anywhere on the Vaal for years and years where is it? And how do I organise accommodation/ camping?

Here you go, there's a map and contact details http://www.eastcoparys.co.za/ (http://www.eastcoparys.co.za/)

Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 26, 2011, 07:52:18 PM
Ok guys didnt see this  duh

I think I will leave the Bass and stocked Trout alone and join you for my first 'proper' Yellow session... Mrs Simpson will come with me...

So we are fishing Eastco? Never been anywhere on the Vaal for years and years where is it? And how do I organise accommodation/ camping?

Here you go, there's a map and contact details http://www.eastcoparys.co.za/ (http://www.eastcoparys.co.za/)
:tkx:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 26, 2011, 07:56:07 PM
Quick on the draw as always Andrew  :hehe: :hehe:
 
I was about to post http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.msg104347.html#msg104347 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.msg104347.html#msg104347)
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on October 27, 2011, 07:30:29 AM
Will you keep a space for me :)
I Will be packing some extra fuel!

 
Hehehehe, No Problemo Pieter. :-)
 
It actually makes economic sense to go in 1 vehichle. :happ:

Ja global warming and so on - and security keeps the beer in one car - easier to keep an eye on Craig
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 27, 2011, 08:09:01 AM
Have inquired about a booking!

Whats the wading like here guys? I have shocking balance and the few times I have waded I have come back with cuts and bruises  duh

Also tackle wise, I presume floating line, 4/5 weight, and 2.7kg leader or is that too light?
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on October 27, 2011, 08:12:32 AM
IT is an easy wade, but if you want make your self a broomstick wadeing stick.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html)

Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 27, 2011, 08:18:31 AM
IT is an easy wade, but if you want make your self a broomstick wadeing stick.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html)
Thanks Pieter, will just have to find something solid as my DIY skills are worse than my wading  :cnfzd
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: christosch on October 27, 2011, 08:59:31 AM
Just booked my chalet!!! Can't wait!!
 :rck"
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on October 27, 2011, 09:42:08 AM
Good stuff chasps! At this stage it looks like I'll only make the Sunday session, roll on!!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 27, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
IT is an easy wade, but if you want make your self a broomstick wadeing stick.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html)
Thanks Pieter, will just have to find something solid as my DIY skills are worse than my wading  :cnfzd

I have a spare which you are welcome to use.  :hehe:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 27, 2011, 07:37:58 PM
IT is an easy wade, but if you want make your self a broomstick wadeing stick.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4090.0.html)
Thanks Pieter, will just have to find something solid as my DIY skills are worse than my wading  :cnfzd

I have a spare which you are welcome to use.  :hehe:
:hehe: :tkx:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 31, 2011, 07:55:21 AM
Met up with a mate on saturday night and he reminded me of our carp session at the vaal dam over this weekend which I had completely forgotten about, so sorry guys, next time, enjoy!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: BigG on October 31, 2011, 10:51:00 AM
I'm in Lads
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 01, 2011, 08:34:53 AM
Met up with a mate on saturday night and he reminded me of our carp session at the vaal dam over this weekend which I had completely forgotten about, so sorry guys, next time, enjoy!

Straf dop!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on November 01, 2011, 08:40:05 AM
Met up with a mate on saturday night and he reminded me of our carp session at the vaal dam over this weekend which I had completely forgotten about, so sorry guys, next time, enjoy!

Straf dop!
I know  duh
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 02, 2011, 09:47:53 PM
Met up with a mate on saturday night and he reminded me of our carp session at the vaal dam over this weekend which I had completely forgotten about, so sorry guys, next time, enjoy!

 
Eeeeiiissshhhh, I'm starting to wonder about you WK.  :cnfzd
 
Are you that busy fishing stew ponds and pap venues that you really can't find time to fish for our prime freshwater fish, or you just adverse to falling down in the Vaal river ? :dunno:
 
There again remembering their are only 2 kinds of f/f who fish the Vaal.
 
Thosewho have fallen, and the whose are yet to fall. w;k
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Lichia amia on November 02, 2011, 09:52:13 PM
Met up with a mate on saturday night and he reminded me of our carp session at the vaal dam over this weekend which I had completely forgotten about, so sorry guys, next time, enjoy!

 
Eeeeiiissshhhh, I'm starting to wonder about you WK.  :cnfzd
 
Are you that busy fishing stew ponds and pap venues that you really can't find time to fish for our prime freshwater fish, or you just adverse to falling down in the Vaal river ? :dunno:
 
There again remembering their are only 2 kinds of f/f who fish the Vaal.
 
Thosewho have fallen, and the whose are yet to fall. w;k
We might have to Walker-nap the man and take him with.  :unhap
 
 
 
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on November 03, 2011, 08:14:11 AM
Met up with a mate on saturday night and he reminded me of our carp session at the vaal dam over this weekend which I had completely forgotten about, so sorry guys, next time, enjoy!

 
Eeeeiiissshhhh, I'm starting to wonder about you WK.  :cnfzd
 
Are you that busy fishing stew ponds and pap venues that you really can't find time to fish for our prime freshwater fish, or you just adverse to falling down in the Vaal river ? :dunno:
 
There again remembering their are only 2 kinds of f/f who fish the Vaal.
 
Thosewho have fallen, and the whose are yet to fall. w;k
I know it sucks,  :cnfzd but dont worry I will be fishing with you guys soon, I really want to get a Muddie and a Yellow on fly  :-)
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 03, 2011, 08:19:46 AM
Lets remove one cred a day until he joins us...  :vio
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: WalkersKiller on November 03, 2011, 08:31:56 AM
 :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 07, 2011, 09:22:03 PM
OK Chaps, I need your help here.
 
A definative list of whose going. Without the numbers I have no chance of negotiating a discount.
 
Herman ( Sunday )
Pieter ( Sunday )
Rory  ( Sunday )
Schlossie ( Camping )
 
Please just add your names chasps.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Lichia amia on November 08, 2011, 07:10:09 AM
Herman ( Sunday )
Pieter ( Sunday )
Rory  ( Sunday )
Schlossie ( Camping)
Lichia ( Sunday )
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: christosch on November 08, 2011, 08:10:06 AM
Herman ( Sunday )
Pieter ( Sunday )
Rory  ( Sunday )
Schlossie ( Camping)
Lichia ( Sunday ) 
Christo (Chalet Friday + Saturday + Sunday morning)
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on November 08, 2011, 02:05:38 PM
 
Herman (Sunday)
Pieter ( Sunday )
Rory  ( Sunday )
Schlossie ( Sunday)
Lichia ( Sunday ) 
Christo (Chalet Friday + Saturday + Sunday morning)
 
No longer going to be able to camp but will be there on the sunday
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: E.T. on November 08, 2011, 02:09:53 PM
Eish, boys I would have loved to attend this one, but that weekend we are having a bit of a party up in Nelspruit.
So I will target some LS & SC Yellows instead.
Next time for sure :hnthnt:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 08, 2011, 09:08:16 PM

Herman (Sunday)
Pieter ( Sunday )
Rory  ( Sunday )
Schlossie ( Sunday)
Lichia ( Sunday ) 
Christo (Chalet Friday + Saturday + Sunday morning)
 
No longer going to be able to camp but will be there on the sunday

Guys & Girls, I need more participants in order to swing a discount.
 
WK you mentioned that you and Mrs.Simpson might be coming through?
Where's Gavin and the rest from the first trip?
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on November 08, 2011, 09:16:14 PM
I'm in Lads

Gavin is a busy man, but I'm sure he's in.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 08, 2011, 09:35:47 PM
I'm in Lads

Gavin is a busy man, but I'm sure he's in.

Herman (Sunday)
Pieter ( Sunday )
Rory  ( Sunday )
Schlossie ( Sunday)
Lichia ( Sunday ) 
Christo (Chalet Friday + Saturday + Sunday morning)
Gavin ( Sunday ? ) Provisional, pending confirmation.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 21, 2011, 10:01:06 AM
Come on chaps get your names down. Those who are afraid of the yellow fever - get your shots and put down your name!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on November 21, 2011, 10:37:16 AM
really looking forward to this. Hopefully the flows will have picked up a bit with this rain.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 21, 2011, 07:49:35 PM
You are right there Andrew. Flows up to 30 odd would be perfect.  w;k
 
Still going to be a good day I feel. :frid :fshn: :hyst:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: christosch on November 22, 2011, 08:12:46 AM
I don't tie my own flies - what flies/size do you guys suggest I buy?
 
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 22, 2011, 08:47:51 AM
Copied Rory's advice on the previous trip:

Control   flies like rockworms and caddis imitations will be good, and smaller   caddis and mayflies for the point. Even San Juan worms are killers, they   always work if the water clarity isn't too good.

We found that olive nymphs worked well this weekend for the muddies. If you cant get weighted flies buy some splitshot to get your flies down.

Check Zach's and Varswater Paradys they usually have a nice selection of flies
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/p_slayer.jpg)
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/chart_control-1.jpg)

Point

(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/black_may.jpg)
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/caddis.jpg)
(http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/gizamos_2009/sq_cop.jpg)
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on November 22, 2011, 10:23:41 AM
I don't tie my own flies - what flies/size do you guys suggest I buy?

Christo, as a general rule of thumb, get a selection caddis and mayflies:
Caddis:
Green rock worms, mustard caddis etc
Mayflies:
PTN's, GRHE nymphs, Hot spot nymphs etc
 
The caddis flies you can get from size 10 right down to size 16. Keep the mayflies small, size 14 -16 should be fine. Don't forget the splitshot and a good strike indicator!
 
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 22, 2011, 07:58:02 PM
WHOOOPPPPEEE, it's been raining, with more to follow over the next few days.
Let's hope that it will result in the flows going up to around 30 - 35 tons for Sunday. ( The timing of the rains is almost perfect as Soweto's rain takes 2 - 3 days to get to to Eastco ) :clwn
 
I have a good feeling about this trip. :fshn:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: diamonddogs on November 23, 2011, 01:21:10 PM
Raining is an understatement - it poured last night!
Flows at 18.7 and climbing.

Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 23, 2011, 01:29:46 PM
Just read that they expect a wet Dec, January and Feb because of la nina
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 23, 2011, 03:06:04 PM
Flows up to 19.7
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Lichia amia on November 23, 2011, 04:01:20 PM
 :unhap  only gonna be able to do the afternoon session !!!
 
Any body staying on for the 3 to 6 pm session ?
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Hooch on November 24, 2011, 07:58:45 AM
Flows are at 40.6. Eish!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 24, 2011, 08:02:14 AM
Plus more rain fell last night and more is  predicted for the rest of the week including sunday
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on November 24, 2011, 08:06:31 AM
Flows are at 40.6. Eish!
This is where Rory gets nervous..... :tit:
 
Plus more rain fell last night and more is  predicted for the rest of the week including sunday

We're going to have to keep our eyes peeled on that flow rate!!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 24, 2011, 08:08:44 AM
We could always go to the prison or the Italian's? flow is at 15tons?
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on November 24, 2011, 08:11:35 AM
We could always go to the prison or the Italian's? flow is at 15tons?

Theres still no fish up there after that chemical spill  :-(  but the flows can fluctuate, lets see what transpires today and tomorrow.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Hooch on November 24, 2011, 03:37:40 PM
Chaps, rather be safe than sorry! I wouldn't wade in that type of water. Sorry, call me the ultimate whoes, but that flow is just scary!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 24, 2011, 05:52:10 PM
40 tons at Eastco is perfect fishing water. It can actually be fished up to 80 tons.
There will be some of us there who have fished the venue at 80 tons, and will be able to show the others where they can comfortably fish.
 
The water above the barrage is devoid of fish, so not worth fishing.
 
Eastco is still a good bet for Sunday. w;k
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Hooch on November 25, 2011, 07:37:37 AM
Flows at 69.7 tons :tit: :cnfzd

Hopefully after a couple of  :beer: ill have some dutch courage to take on the river, or we could just  :frid
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on November 25, 2011, 07:39:53 AM
Flows at 69.7 tons......

Eish...... :shk
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Hooch on November 25, 2011, 08:00:57 AM
Flows at 69.7 tons......

Eish...... :shk
Double Eish :-(
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: christosch on November 25, 2011, 11:08:09 AM
Morning everyone, We're almost on our way!!! Yay!!
The flows still seems very high, but we're making a nice jol out of it - fish or no fish.
Will try to post from cellphone to let you guys know about conditions.
Hope to see all of you there!
 
Cheers
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 25, 2011, 11:11:22 AM
Morning everyone, We're almost on our way!!! Yay!!
The flows still seems very high, but we're making a nice jol out of it - fish or no fish.
Will try to post from cellphone to let you guys know about conditions.
Hope to see all of you there!
 
Cheers

Enjoy keep us updated!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: diamonddogs on November 25, 2011, 11:15:31 AM
Pack a raincoat and life jacket boys.
Be careful - Eastco can be tough above 40 cums.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 25, 2011, 02:59:50 PM
I am signing off for the weekend, if all goes well I will see you the weekend.

Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: christosch on November 25, 2011, 07:14:05 PM
Very nice venue. Flow sms very high.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Hooch on November 25, 2011, 09:31:40 PM
Not worth the risk chap! Flows are at 75tons!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 27, 2011, 01:44:50 PM
Rory. Etienne, Christo and I fished Eastco this morning. The flows had dropped from 67 yesterday evening to around 44 when we went onto the water and 41 when we left the water.
Fishing in dropping flows is always going to be difficult, and so it proved :-( After some trial & error ( read nearly get washed away ) we found the right areas to fish, but alas the fish, they were not there, or not hungry :cnfzd .
I managed 2 muddies and a yellow hooked, but none in the net :blush: :blush: .
 
I know that Rory was VAS at least once, I'll let him tell the story :-)
 
Thanks to Christo for entering into the Ultimate Spirit and coming through for the whole weekend. Nice putting a face to a name.
 
Rory and Etienne, thanks as always for the good company.
 
Some pics of the day.
First is of a bird that Rory says is a good  :corrct: in the book. Sorry forget the name of it  :blush:
 
The second is of a caterpillar on it's way to either hump or eat Etienne's fly.
 
The third one is of Rory .
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on November 28, 2011, 11:06:52 AM
Thanks for a super day guys, and thanks to Christo for making the effort to join us!   :win:   As Herman said the flows were on 44 when we started fishing, personally I like anything under 40, so it was simple: be careful in the faster seams!!! Just to give you guys a comparison, the last time we fished this venue the flows were around 15, yesterday at 44 the water was at least 40 cm higher, and of course flowing about 3 times faster - makulu manzi. Well I managed my first yellow in the net for the season, a little fellow that we commonly refer to as a "silver" - still to small to be yellow in colour. I picked up a real bruiser of a fish, he was hanging just off the fast water. I managed to steer him into the slower water where I would at least have a chance of netting him, but he decided otherwise, took off like a bullet snapping my entire leader off. Most impressive! Flies that worked me were Olive Humpy's Favourites on the control, and Pauls Slayer on the point. The water had good viz despite all the rain.
 
PS: the bird in Hermans pic is a White Browed Sparrow Weaver. :corrct:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: icstuff on November 28, 2011, 11:28:28 AM
I am so glad you chaps had fun!
Checking out birds as well  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on November 28, 2011, 11:35:25 AM
Good report back guys. You are braver than me fishing in those flows.
I decided that given the choice between fishing in the high flows or going small streaming . . .  well there wasn't much to decide on there.
I headed out to the upper Vaal for the weekend. Fishing was slower than usual for this spot. I managed about 10 on Saturday, mostly averaging around 500 - 700g but got one really good fish of about 1.5kg. Bonus for the day was getting a few on dry, walking the banks until I spotted a solitary fish on the surface and then casting a dry to it .
On Sunday it got very windy and was a little cooler than Saturday. Ended up with 5 fish for the day, one of them being particularly memorable. A good size, 1kg+, fish that I spotted while standing on some cliffs about 20m above the water. It was holding in a little channel between some rocks in knee deep water and occasionally coming up to take something from the surface. I snuck down, got into position behind some long grass and with the 2nd or 3rd drift over the fish it came up to sip in my klinkhammer. 
 
I will post a few pics a bit later today.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on November 28, 2011, 12:22:15 PM
Some pics


Saturday's good fish

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Smallmouth%20Streams%2027-28%20November%202011/DSCF5192.jpg)

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Smallmouth%20Streams%2027-28%20November%202011/DSCF5193.jpg)


(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Smallmouth%20Streams%2027-28%20November%202011/DSCF5194.jpg)


First one of the day on dry

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Smallmouth%20Streams%2027-28%20November%202011/DSCF5198.jpg)

The spot where Sunday's fish was holding, in the little bay between the rocks
(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Smallmouth%20Streams%2027-28%20November%202011/DSCF5224.jpg)


The fish from that spot
(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Smallmouth%20Streams%2027-28%20November%202011/DSCF5226.jpg)
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Rory on November 28, 2011, 02:06:28 PM
Nice fish Andrew!!   :win: That looks like a super spot you fished, thanks for the report!
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 28, 2011, 07:37:18 PM
Great report Andrew. Thanks.  :shre:
 
There is no better feeling than getting a sm on dry. :resp: :resp:
 
+ cred
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: schloshd1 on November 28, 2011, 07:41:56 PM
thanks guys. Herman, you're right, they are always special on dry :-)



Just realized that i posted this under the "Vaal Trip" thread instead of the "Vaal  Report" thread. My bad, sorry for the hi-jack :blush:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: wernerm on December 24, 2011, 01:25:22 PM
Hey guys,


Just joined, don't think I need to do the intro thing.


Anyway we're doing a Vaal trip coming Friday as the last one of the season, so far it's myself, Benzo and Mike, any of you sloths available, it will be a 6 ayem to 6 pm thingy.


Apparently the viz is brilliant at the mo so we can try for some challenging dry in the late afternoon.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Searaider on December 24, 2011, 04:10:41 PM
Hey Werner :welc:
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: wernerm on December 24, 2011, 04:12:01 PM
Thanks man, the guys told me they hang out here but had a bit of trouble finding you. Glad to be here.
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: Manuel Junior on December 26, 2011, 12:02:54 PM
 :welc: wernerm
Title: Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
Post by: wernerm on December 26, 2011, 12:15:46 PM
Thanks gents, hope i can make some valuable contributions and the like
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal