ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Knots => Topic started by: REEFMAN on April 07, 2011, 03:18:18 PM
-
When Fishing with Circle Hooks, one has to modify knots to terminal tackle to ensure that the Circle Hook works according to the way it was designed.
The normal Fig 8 and Uni knots are unsuitable when used with Circle Hooks.
HOW TO SNELL A CIRCLE HOOK
Here is how to Snell a circle using Mono. The normal snell in mono has the potential of unravelling due to the memory in the mono.
Fritz came up with a novel modification of this knot that prevents this from happening...
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%201.jpg)
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%202.jpg)
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%203.jpg)
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%204.jpg)
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%205.jpg)
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%206.jpg)
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%207.jpg)
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/SNELL/circle%20snell%20mono%208.jpg)
-
Great tut there Reefz very helpful! (clap)
-
Quick work there Reefz and good work Fritz! this is what forums should be about
-
Same day tut! Good on you Reefs, and thanx to Fritz for great info!
-
Thanks guys
That was very fast work their Reefman. (clap)
-
Ay.... you snooze you lose! Hopefully the service here on UA is what sets us apart...
-
nice reefs and fritz :ult:
here is the the way i tie mine but will try this way later and see which i prefer http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtechequip/techniques/knots/common_snell_steps.html (http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtechequip/techniques/knots/common_snell_steps.html)
@ fritz saw Donavan chetty this weekend had a chat with him about his routes but says they dont fly to durbs anymore... says he got some nice bonnies from you :shrk:
-
Thanks Tony
Probably good to know both methods as the first one cant be done if your leader is already connected to the mainline ? Steve I use that one but the tag end goes back through the eye....this one does not let goes once pulled up but when doing in heavy leader a bit finnicky as the line tends to kink on the loop when you pull it through - practice makes perfect however.
With nylon coated trace I use the easier one as shown by Reefz but use small peice of shrinktube on hook shaft then slightly heat the knot once complete to weld it all together ( use on my Tigerfish traces)
-
(clap).... :win:
-
nice reefs and fritz :ult:
here is the the way i tie mine but will try this way later and see which i prefer http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtechequip/techniques/knots/common_snell_steps.html (http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtechequip/techniques/knots/common_snell_steps.html)
@ fritz saw Donavan chetty this weekend had a chat with him about his routes but says they dont fly to durbs anymore... says he got some nice bonnies from you :shrk:
Some credit for you Steve m, nice link that one! That is the proper old fashioned way of snelling a hook!
-
Great post, Reefman. Thanks Fritz, I will try your version. I normally use the Uni Knot version of the Snell Knot. It is very easy and quick to do.
:topic:
I normally use the improved clinch knot on normal J hooks. Any comments on this knot? I have recently also started to use the figure 8 knot and I like it!
-
Please see this one for heavy mono leaders http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7014.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7014.0.html)
-
Can someone please assist in showing me how to attach my hook with a Snell Knot when your leader is already attached to your mainline or swivel...
The link Steve M posted doesn't seem to work anymore.
Thanks
-
This is the old fashioned proper way of doing it Pasch.... http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php?LogoImage=LogoStripers247.jpg#Overhand (http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php?LogoImage=LogoStripers247.jpg#Overhand)
-
Tony jou ou staatmaker...
Thanks
-
Pasch, was just thinking about your question....
Doesn't matter if your leader is already attached to your swivel. You've still got to attach your hook snoot to the swivel anyway.
Tie your hook onto the hook snoot using the knot above (The Fritz version), then attach the hook snoot to the swivel as per normal.
The top knot is MUCH MUCH easier to do than the old fashioned (animated knots)way of doing it.
-
How do they do the knot that does not go through the eye of the hook.
-
How do they do the knot that does not go through the eye of the hook.
Knot (hahaha) sure I understand ???
a knot that doesnt go through the eye ?
Whats the point ?
-
Does this help? I do not know the name of the knot...
-
To me looks like a snell done wrong...
I dont see any advantage to having the line NOT going through the eye....
If anything its a huge disadvantage... the line can now run to the bend of the hook for eg....
-
I think they use this knot in deep sea fishing for sailfish, so I was wondering why they do use this knot?
-
Its still called a snell. Bait jigs are tied like that.
Follow Tony's post and where he jumps all the whraps around the shank to go under the last whrap. their you must go under all the whraps and pull tight. If I dont make sence than let me know and I will take some photo's when I get home later and post for you.
-
To me looks like a snell done wrong...
I dont see any advantage to having the line NOT going through the eye....
If anything its a huge disadvantage... the line can now run to the bend of the hook for eg....
Agreed, must go through the eye, especially that thats a circle hook.
-
I have had problems tying this knot to small hooks because of the eye of the hook is a bit small...
-
I have had problems tying this knot to small hooks because of the eye of the hook is a bit small...
There is a difference between a circle and a J hook.
On a circle the line must pass through the eye coming out on the hook side, this completes the circle, the way it was done there will defeat the purpose making for many missed hook ups.
To do a snell on a J hook, the hook must have a down eye for the line to pass through to keep it straight.
-
Thanks Mike.
I have had problems tying this knot to small hooks because of the eye of the hook is a bit small...
Maybe too thick mono for the size of hook ???
-
Thanks Mike.
I have had problems tying this knot to small hooks because of the eye of the hook is a bit small...
Maybe too thick mono for the size of hook ???
Also defeats the point as the hook will bend open under pressure
-
Yup !
-
try this,
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7556.msg110947#msg110947 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7556.msg110947#msg110947)
-
Thanks guys... I will have a look this weekend. I have only fished with circles now for 2 weeks...