ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => Topic started by: Fishaman on March 10, 2011, 02:32:42 PM

Title: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: Fishaman on March 10, 2011, 02:32:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I'll be in Ballito for a couple of days in early April & would like to try to get in some fishing while down there. Bearing in mind that fishing time would be limited, I would appreciate some local tips on spots and techniques to try. What species are active this time of year etc.

Only tried dropshotting once without success,  so thinking of sticking to bait or throwing spoons. I will probably  be using a 10' Elbe rod & coffee grinder, also have a 13' spinning setup. I am eyeing the Poseidon Classic 5 piece rod and a Okuma Contoura  multiplier too though....

Any tips on spots, rigging baits & lures will be appreciated....   
Title: Re: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: Corumana on March 10, 2011, 04:39:39 PM
Take a Fly Rod with. In the rock pools infront of Hops. To the south of Hops there is a big pool (not the tide pool) behind a rock at high tide. Low tide you cast in the whitewater where you think no fish can swim. I marked it on the picture. You will be suprised what you catch in the foamy break. [/img]
Title: Re: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: Corumana on March 10, 2011, 04:46:54 PM
Right in front of Hops is an opening in the rocks. Cast  close to the Northern rocks from the beach side. Sardines and shrimp works. I fished April, July and Decembers there. The same results every time.
Title: Re: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: Fishaman on March 10, 2011, 05:54:37 PM
 :tkx:

Thanks Corumara, hopefully i'll get something!
Title: Re: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: Corumana on March 12, 2011, 08:07:57 AM
Cape Moonies, stonebream and a couple of other fish will take fly. Greem wooly bugger and small fly with silver and pink.
Title: Re: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 15, 2011, 10:05:05 AM
Fishaman, if the bigger fish arent playing the game rig up a light trace no 6 hook small sinker and explore the rock pools with some chokka or sardine there are so many smaller species of weird and wonderful fish in  the ballito area!  :tite
Title: Re: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: Fishaman on March 15, 2011, 10:08:51 AM
Thanks,

I think I'll pack the 10 ft and also a light 7ft setup and do just that. With fly i am more likely to catch myself in the ear!

Title: Re: Ballito & Surrounds Early April
Post by: travelmember on March 15, 2011, 10:16:42 AM
I would head a couple of km's north from Ballito and fish High rock and Salt rock hotel. High rock needs a bit of dirty water to get it working and there are many small sharks right under your feet. You can also fish for smaller stuff either side in the gullies. For the hotel area, I normally stay away from the pool and fish to the left (facing the sea). Use light line and cast a 4/6 hook with a ball sinker free sliding right down to the hook (!). Bait up with chokka and cast onto the rocks. Plenty of smaller fish here.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal