ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Dropshot fishing => Topic started by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 09:31:58 AM

Title: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 09:31:58 AM
I'm looking for a dropshot kit. Rod, reel, baits, line or braid & hooks. I'm on a tight budget. Went Mias this morning. Got a quote on a Diawa Sweepfire 3500 for R189. They suggest the Pioneer rods @ R575 but I saw the Penn sticks with solid tip for R250. Whats your take guys?
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: REEFMAN on February 02, 2011, 09:33:19 AM
Gani's in Witbank always have some amazing combo specials... their adverts are in RSD and Stywe Lyne... check them out.
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 09:43:51 AM
Whats RSD?
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: REEFMAN on February 02, 2011, 09:45:26 AM
Rock Surf and Deep Magazine.... best R/s mag
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Lichia amia on February 02, 2011, 10:05:08 AM
Speak to AndriesH from www.Bluecity.co.za (http://www.Bluecity.co.za)

Pioneer Crossfire Power Graphite Dropshot rod.Combinde with a Shimano Slade and you are in business at under R850-00.


Dropshot Graphite Crossfire 7' MH   R495.00
[PCF7'MH] 
 
 

Click to enlarge 
Pioneer Crossfire Power Graphite Dropshot rod.
Power Graphite blank.
Pioneer real seat with metal guides.
Length = 7'0"
Action: Medium to Heavy / fast
Line size: 12 LB to 20LB
Lure size: 1/4 oz to 1 oz
 
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 11:26:28 AM
I'll have a look at the rod. Whats better than the slade but not too expensive?
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Lichia amia on February 02, 2011, 11:33:37 AM
I got the Shimano Sedona 4000fb from Gani's for R550.

 :grk:
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 02:55:31 PM
Hows the 9ft adrenalin rods & Phenix Rods?
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: REEFMAN on February 02, 2011, 03:31:54 PM
Hows the 9ft adrenalin rods & Phenix Rods?

Adrenalin rods...! Now you're talking... check what the 10ft dropshot rod can do....

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,3401.msg38608.html#msg38608 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,3401.msg38608.html#msg38608)
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 03:43:50 PM
I see Ganis stock the adrenalin 9ft. I'm going to get it soon.
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 05:04:57 PM
Whats a go size rod for dropshot? The adrenalin is 9ft. I'm going to Western Acc. The also have the L&F for R350. Hows the L&F rods?
Reel: Shimano Sedona R650
Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Lichia amia on February 02, 2011, 05:09:28 PM
Personally I'll go for a rod that has a rating of Lure sizes/Jig Heads: 1/4 oz to 1 oz

 :grk:
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 02, 2011, 05:20:47 PM
Cool. I'm also looking at weight rating but I also want some backbone on the rod.
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Quickbite on February 03, 2011, 08:41:51 AM
Chop- what size reel you looking for??
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Lichia amia on February 03, 2011, 11:03:19 AM
Cool. I'm also looking at weight rating but I also want some backbone on the rod.

You don't need to much back bone for your run of the mill drop shot fishing. Fish over 2kg will be the exception and any thing bigger than 8kg I'll come chow Sashimi style on the beach  :hehe:
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Katman on February 03, 2011, 11:12:41 AM
I'm also going to use it in the Dam for barbel.
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Quickbite on February 03, 2011, 11:15:22 AM
I'm also going to use it in the Dam for barbel.


katman- u look diff in ur avatar?
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Toppie on February 03, 2011, 11:22:45 AM
Speaking from experience, you will only need back-bone in a rod, once a Kingy has snapped your rod - and power in a reel once a 20 kg Kingy has stripped your gears.

Before that happens your precious braid and much practised knots will first part.

Now I wonder, how many of us have had our reel's gears stripped by a fish, and an L&F, KF, Adrenalin, Sensation etc rod snapped by a fish, except those blerrie klipvisse that sits in the rocks at the ledges of Vidal, of course.

Dont fall for the hype and bling - nothing wrong with the mid-range tackle. I have them all incl Berkley, but my rod ds rod of choice is a Sensation (I can break 3 for the price of one Berkley!), and am yet to meet that 20kg KF on dropshot!

Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: REEFMAN on February 03, 2011, 11:23:53 AM

katman- u look diff in ur avatar?

 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Homie on February 03, 2011, 11:27:59 AM
LOL QB... That was a good chirp !
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Quickbite on February 03, 2011, 11:29:51 AM
LOL QB... That was a good chirp !

At homes- i was being serious .,...

Why - dont u help katman- choose a kit ...u king of dropshotting?
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Homie on February 03, 2011, 11:34:58 AM
Hahahaha ! No bru, Im the King of blanking !

Ok, here goes. looking at the budget
Rod - Sesation Powerstick
Reel Daiwa Procaster or Penn Sargus
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: MichaelS on November 24, 2014, 07:45:57 PM
Hi All,


Firstly, greetings to you all! I have actually been a member on this forum for about 4 years now and merely use it as a source of valuable info, thank you to you all!


I am a fly fish befok but want to explore conventional options. Drop shot has appealed to me and I have always enjoyed bass fishing as I believe you work a lure in a similar fashion to that of a fly.


I took the plunge and bought a drop shot rod to do some light salt work, tiger, bass and barbel. I bought the Shimano 1/4 - 1oz 8'6" Clarus rod paired up with a Shimano Sedona 4000FD reel. Can anyone provide any info on this rig? Looking for all commentary, please!


No doubt (when the bank manager allows) I will splash out on more conventional tackle but I thought this to be a good start, breaking away from spending fortunes on FF equipment!


Thanks in advance!


Michael
Title: Re: Looking for a dropshot kit?
Post by: Big B on November 25, 2014, 09:05:46 AM
Kattie
How the F.... do you get negative credits?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal