ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => DIY Forum => Topic started by: Mangi on November 16, 2010, 10:18:45 AM
-
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2829.0;attach=15448;image)
We are all part of a public fishing forum and therefore many people will look at the way we handle fish. When it comes to catch and release, we all know that the least amount of direct contact with your fish will ensure a better survival rate. This is where these mats come in handy. You throw a bit of water on it, place the fish ontop, measure, and release. All with minimum contact.
What you will need:
Tarpaulin (Tarp) - Size: 75cm x 60cm
Dowels - 2 x 75cm
Chipboard Nails
Hamer
Contact Glue
Rapid Epoxy (Optional)
Measuring Tape
Aluminium Flat Bar - 80cm in Lenght
-
Using the Contact Glue, glue the dowels to the ends of the tarp. It will make it easier to roll later.
-
After the dowles are glued down, roll the tarp over the dowel about four times.
Now take the chipboard nails and knock a few in the lock it into place. I like doing this as it makes the mat even stronger for carrying your catch back to the water.
-
Next you take your flat bar (80cm) and bend the first 5cm so that it forms a 90 degree angle.
-
Now glue the flatbar and mat where it will fit. Use the instructions of the Contact Glue. Leave to dry for 15minutes and then glue it in place.
-
Using a knife, carpet knife, scissors to cut out handles in the tarp.
-
Once again, using the glue, attach the measuring tape ensuring it sits flush with the flatbar.
-
Once in place, I put a little bit of Epoxy over the tip of the measuring tape as it usually rusts very quickly.
-
And here is the finished product ready to measure and release your PB!
-
Awesome post Mangi... thanks for sharing this! (clap) Have some cred.
-
Great post Mangi, I am going to follow your instructions and make one!
-
Superb ... (clap).... :tkx: for sharing .... w;k
-
What a nice post Mangi, inexpensive, nice and easy to roll up and strap to ones tackle bag as well
I really like the idea especially when one is fishing from the rocks, less damaging to the fish
Have some credit mate
-
Awesome stuff Mangi (clap)
-
Brilliant post :ayb :ult:
-
Thanks for that post Mangi. I too will make my own. (clap)
-
Ultimate guide you have created(clap)
Now for us computer nerd fisherman how easy is it to bent the aluminum bar and how should we approach it?
-
Bending the aluminium bar is by far the trickiest part of the entire operation.
When looking at flatbars, go for a thin bar. 15mm or 10mm. Bends very easy on a kitchen counter or such which has a 90 degree corner.
I used 30mm flat bar for mine, because it was all I could find at the time, but I still got it to bend. Just take it slow and make sure it bends nicely.
Thanks for the replies guys!! Wish I could take credit for the design, but I actually saw one made by Sailfish for the Cape Town guys and decided to make one for myself using a few of my own ideas. I'm glad if I helped a few of you to make your own.
-
Nice post Mangi. Now we all have no reason to keep under size fish. Have some credit.
-
Ok so I have watched this thread and now I'm gonna listen to my grade 5 math teacher who said "There is no question like a stupid question"
What the hell do you do with that thing. From the name it implies you weight fish but I just cannot get around why something so elaborate? Why not just a scale skip net ?? :dunno:
-
Hey Jaen, its called a measuring mat, not a weighing mat. Part of the construction is to have a tape measure down its length. One can therefore measure the fish caught with minimum handling.
-
Hey Jaen, its called a measuring mat, not a weighing mat. Part of the construction is to have a tape measure down its length. One can therefore measure the fish caught with minimum handling.
ok, that makes sense
-
Ok so I have watched this thread and now I'm gonna listen to my grade 5 math teacher who said "There is no question like a stupid question"
What the hell do you do with that thing. From the name it implies you weight fish but I just cannot get around why something so elaborate? Why not just a scale skip net ?? :dunno:
Jean if you look at the topic it is actually called a measuring mat. At the social club in Cape Town the guys only measure fish and points are awarded accordingly. It is a nice thing to have for all recreational anglers. Have some credit
-
Now Now Jean just misread, i/we all do it especially with a newborn in the house!
Jean I always tell my students that there are no such thing as a stupid question... Only stupid people
-
Shewie... forgot about this thread... got some work to do... :hnthnt:
-
Shewie... forgot about this thread... got some work to do... :hnthnt:
got sumthing for u to work with ... w;k
-
Tell me more...
-
Tell me more...
Will give it to you tom ... w;k
-
Kewl.
-
Great post mate....
Where can I buy some of this tarp from?
-
Wayne it's the same stuff that they make the Orca boxes from... canvas/tent shops sell it...
-
Shot Reefs....will make me one for my Spotties.....
Wayne it's the same stuff that they make the Orca boxes from... canvas/tent shops sell it...
-
Def. worth a try. Glad you guys pulled it from the dusty archives
-
Wayne: Got my tarp from a spot called Popular Canvas in Epping, Cape Town.
Worked out to just over R120 for a 1.5m x 3m sheet. That was a while ago, so no idea about the prices now.
-
We are using pvc gutter with a glued measurement tape in the inside w;k
\Show some pics later...
-
Only saw this now! Great post will def help me!