ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => Offshore Fishing Reports => Topic started by: Capt. Hook on November 03, 2010, 07:32:56 PM

Title: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Capt. Hook on November 03, 2010, 07:32:56 PM
I don’t know if it is my boat or me, but we keep on hitting the Yellowfin Tuna Jackpot and they seem to be attracted to us no matter where we go. My YFT count for 2010 is now at 233.

We launched late today and only got going at around 10h30 and fished till 15h00, when we initially got out there was a steep chop and a stiff NE with water temp averaging 23.4 deg. C.  I set a spread and initially we got no action and so I made some changes to colours, depth and speed and it was not long before the first reel screamed and we had a double hook up of 2 decent sized Kawakawa.

By this the wind had dropped to a breeze and the sea went flat and the water temp went up to 23.8 deg. C. I have to tell you that the water was blue and crystal clear and we could see the 100’s of Garfish swimming all over the show several meters below the water surface. It was then that I noticed about 500m to our right that there was a large area of yellow stained water and so we headed towards this, as we got on top of the large yellow stain we saw what it was, it was a school of about 300 Yellowfin Tuna about 1m below the surface, imagine that, the water was so clear that from half a Kilometre away I could see the yellow from the Tuna’s fins and tails.

In the end we landed 6 Yellowfin Tuna 3 of them well over 10Kg, we got taxed 3 times by the same large Shark patrolling the area who took the whole Tuna including our lure, and 2 Tuna were so big that we got smoked and could not stop them. We also landed 1 HUGE Kawakawa of around 9Kg, got bitten off by a Wahoo and landed a Tropical Yellowtail.
An expensive day with 5 lures and 2 spools of line down, but another adrenaline packed day.
I was hoping for a Dorado again, but did not see them.
Sorry for the shortage of pics I had camera problems and so only have a pic of 1 of the 2 smaller YFT we kept.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: benniejordaan on November 03, 2010, 07:52:06 PM
Bud, I'm coming fishing with you! Well done mate!
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: fedu on November 03, 2010, 07:58:06 PM
Not fair your 2010 count is 233 and mine is only around 25  :hehe:

Your time on the water experience pays off, keep it going  :geet
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Capt. Hook on November 03, 2010, 08:03:20 PM
I am hoping to reach 300 by end December.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: benniejordaan on November 03, 2010, 08:12:57 PM
I am hoping to reach 300 by end December.
At the rate you going, I'm sure you going to make it! No Doubt in my mind!
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: WalkersKiller on November 03, 2010, 08:45:17 PM
Great stuff FA :happ:
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Ianzo on November 03, 2010, 09:05:12 PM
Man that's some good action of durbs, well done (clap)
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: G!enn on November 03, 2010, 09:33:05 PM
I want that boat for the pike!!!!  :hyst:

Great report as always Sir  w;k
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Capt. Hook on November 03, 2010, 09:35:09 PM
I want that boat for the pike!!!!  :hyst:

Great report as always Sir  w;k

My friend you will catch your very own YFT on that boat on your next trip here. :geet
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: G!enn on November 03, 2010, 09:39:23 PM
My friend you will catch your very own YFT on that boat on your next trip here. :geet

I was hoping the boat would draw all the pike in!  :lolo:

Wont be over to 22nd december 2011 .. Girl is spending xmas and new year with all family etc.. Leaving end of jan! Summer in full swing.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: RusticRainman on November 04, 2010, 05:53:17 AM
 (clap) (clap). Very nice.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: mo-manack on November 04, 2010, 07:44:49 AM
hey mike! great stuff man,did you get those yellow fin very deep? i saw a beeg bonnie next to your boat
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: muhammad on November 04, 2010, 09:05:29 AM
 :ayb
great stuffthere mike
dont worry you will get that target
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: John F on November 04, 2010, 09:09:55 AM
Hey FA,

Do you keep record of each YFT you caught (I mean lure, color, etc)... With that sample size it would make interesting statistics...
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: TUNAMAN on November 04, 2010, 09:26:17 AM
Awesome stuff Mike. You are on fire man. I know which charter I will be booking with.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Royboy on November 04, 2010, 10:02:46 AM
Nice going FA!!!!! Geez, I haven't had a YFT since August at HG.

Good numbers boet, I hope that the Kikuman Soya Sauce, Wasabi, and Pickled Ginger supply in Durbs is good!!!!!

See you in a few weeks....... I need to bring some sashimi home to get some brownie points with my missus. (From previous experience, YFT Sashimi earns me more Brownie points with Linda than fresh Oysters!!!!). Bring it ON!

Cheers - RB
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Royboy on November 04, 2010, 10:22:18 AM
Hey FA - on a lighter note! Why don't you post the co-ords online and watch the Indian Ocean get churned up into a froth on Saturday morning? Tee hee hee hee w;k w;k w;k

Will beat the N3 December "Lemming Run" vehicles per hour record!!!!!!!

 :rck" :rck" :rck" :rck"

Cheers - RB
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Glider on November 04, 2010, 11:44:09 AM
Well done there FA, that's excellent!
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Prego on November 04, 2010, 12:29:04 PM
Like I said before, the Tuna champ!!
Great stuff Mike!!

Seems the wind is finally letting off down there.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: John F on November 05, 2010, 03:50:38 AM
Hey FA,

Do you keep record of each YFT you caught (I mean lure, color, etc)... With that sample size it would make interesting statistics...

Bump
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: benniejordaan on November 05, 2010, 07:37:04 AM
Bump

Would love to know aswell. What colours / lures have worked best etc.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Capt. Hook on November 05, 2010, 08:19:25 AM
I do have a record on which lures worked best, but I am not sharing the info (Sorry), what I can say is that there are about 6 colours that consistantly do the damage, but that could also be that I fish them a lot, there are however 2 colours that out shine the rest.
There is much more to it than the colour of the lure and I would go as far as to say that if any lure was presented in the right way it will get a fish, but my 2 specials always get the 1st hit.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: benniejordaan on November 05, 2010, 08:29:24 AM
I do have a record on which lures worked best, but I am not sharing the info (Sorry), what I can say is that there are about 6 colours that consistantly do the damage, but that could also be that I fish them a lot, there are however 2 colours that out shine the rest.
There is much more to it than the colour of the lure and I would go as far as to say that if any lure was presented in the right way it will get a fish, but my 2 specials always get the 1st hit.

Not sharing??? Huh, that's harsh! Are you serious, why?
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: John F on November 05, 2010, 08:34:25 AM
Ok, FA
Fair enough...
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: Capt. Hook on November 05, 2010, 08:55:27 AM
Not sharing??? Huh, that's harsh! Are you serious, why?
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM (bat
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: benniejordaan on November 05, 2010, 09:35:52 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM (bat

OK, no problem! I guess you have your reasons.
Title: Re: Durban Yellowfin Tuna Magnet
Post by: TUNAMAN on November 05, 2010, 10:04:14 AM
OK, no problem! I guess you have your reasons.
White and Blue would be one of them.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal