ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Hook, line and sinker - Tackle talk => Topic started by: sc on February 24, 2019, 07:25:28 PM

Title: Pairing reels and rods
Post by: sc on February 24, 2019, 07:25:28 PM
Hi everyone

I picked up a parcel of excellent condition spinning rods and reels at a late estate auction. Could you guys please help me pair up the rods and reels.

Reels
Penn sentinel 6000
Stradic C5000XG
Sustain 5000 FE
Sedona 4000 XG-I
Ultegra 5500XSC
Exceller 4000E
Ultegra 10000XSA

Rods
Penn Allegiance 2 1002XSH
Assassin Rock Hopper 11' 2oz
Poseidon Coast line 13'6" Medium spin
Berkley Air Xtreme 9'XH Spinning
Exceller 802 HFS
Exceller 902 XXHFS
Exceller 1062 XXXHFS

I would also appreciate it if someone could give me the weight rating of the rods.

Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Pairing reels and rods
Post by: Half-Pint on February 25, 2019, 10:51:13 AM
I am not familiar with all the rods and reels specifically the derivatives but this would not be a bad guide.






Rods
Penn Allegiance 2 1002XSH                     Penn sentinel 6000 ( I am actually not sure where this reel fits as I have never seen it but this seems about right)
Assassin Rock Hopper 11' 2oz                  Ultegra 5500XSC (This may be overkill on this rod, I haven't actually seen a rock hopper. If so the Stradic or Sustain would be better)
Poseidon Coast line 13'6" Medium spin -   Ultegra 10000XSA
Berkley Air Xtreme 9'XH Spinning -          Stradic C5000XG
Exceller 802 HFS                                    Sedona 4000 XG-I
Exceller 902 XXHFS                                Exceller 4000E
Exceller 1062 XXXHFS                            Sustain 5000 FE
Title: Re: Pairing reels and rods
Post by: sc on February 25, 2019, 11:21:39 AM
very much appreciated. thank you
Title: Re: Pairing reels and rods
Post by: Lofty on February 25, 2019, 12:33:00 PM
Usually the weight rating of the rods are printed on them...otherwise you could Google it I suppose.. :dunno:


What I found...
PENN ALLEGIANCE II SURF 10FT[/font][/size][/size]Length: 3.04M
Title: Re: Pairing reels and rods
Post by: Half-Pint on February 25, 2019, 01:24:25 PM
Usually the weight rating of the rods are printed on them...otherwise you could Google it I suppose.. :dunno:


What I found...
PENN ALLEGIANCE II SURF 10FT[/font][/size][/size]Length: 3.04M
  • Pieces: 2 piece rod
  • Action: Medium
  • Line Weight recommendation: 10-15KG
  • Cast Weight: 30-120g
  • Type: Spin
  • Suggested reel size to match: 60, 70, 650, 750, 6000 or 7000 size spin reel

You see this is why its often easier to feel a rod than to go on published specs. A 10ft rod rated to 4oz would start to imply a decent heavy plugging rod in which case the 6000 would be a good option however they claim it should also be good with 1oz. In this case the 6000 would be overkill. Personally I doubt it will cover that range and is probably more likely comfortable at 3oz in which case the 6000 would be overkill
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal