ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Dropshot fishing => Topic started by: Cage on January 15, 2018, 11:11:54 AM

Title: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: Cage on January 15, 2018, 11:11:54 AM
Haven't posted in a while - Ive been trying an alternative rigging method which others may like to try as well.... I had a whole lot of cheap jigheads (and bucktail jigs) with cheap hooks that I didn't want to toss... so I cut off the hooks and attached an assist, hookups were great and also didnt seem to get hung up as much... sometimes the hook did diog into the plastic but I then just skin-hooked the assist to keep it in position, once a fish hit it, it pulled free with a solid hookup...
Rigging and some of the results over December below....
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: John F on January 15, 2018, 11:18:45 AM
Great idea!!!! (clap)

Thanks!!!

:+ cred:
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: Prego on January 15, 2018, 12:31:51 PM
Smart idea Cage and some great results, well done.

What area in Moz?
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: Cage on January 15, 2018, 01:12:08 PM
Smart idea Cage and some great results, well done.

What area in Moz?
thanks guys - Chidenguelle area bro
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: REEFMAN on January 15, 2018, 01:53:25 PM
Some great catches there! Must try this...
 (clap)
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: FishStyx on January 15, 2018, 06:42:00 PM
Nice catches there bud  (clap)
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: Cage on January 16, 2018, 08:34:30 AM
Thanks, attaching a couple more pics......
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: colin on January 16, 2018, 09:35:13 AM
 :cgrts: well done :envy :toppie:
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: MIKE PIKE on January 16, 2018, 10:14:57 AM
 (clap) some awesome catches there .. good alternative to the regular jigheads.. :Like:
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: dodger on January 16, 2018, 04:45:15 PM
well done, I am sur we all have some of those Jig Heads :+ cred:
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: Plugger on January 17, 2018, 06:11:46 AM
Awesome catches !!  What holds the soft plastic in place if the original hook is removed ?
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: Cage on January 17, 2018, 07:18:26 AM
I cut the hooks above the bend, so the shank and the little lead collars are still on, they hold the plastic
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: FishStyx on January 17, 2018, 07:35:00 AM
I cut the hooks above the bend, so the shank and the little lead collars are still on, they hold the plastic


Lekker part of that is that you can get by with cheapie jig heads... You know the ones that turn into a toothpick on the larger guppies  w;k


Nitros have become damn expensive and having a variety in terms of weight/hook size can amount to the equivalent of the GDP of a small country. And they are not always easy to come by.


I'd be tempted to try the assist with thinner hollow core braid (200lb or so) depending on how toothy the targets are. I've used it successfully on plugs and small poppers. Kevlar can be a tad stiff.
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: Plugger on January 17, 2018, 10:07:31 AM
I cut the hooks above the bend, so the shank and the little lead collars are still on, they hold the plastic


Thanks, makes sense.
Title: Re: Dropshot Alternative rigging
Post by: carll on January 19, 2018, 10:31:52 PM
Great idea and fantastic great results !well done ! :gt:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal