ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => Inshore Boating => Topic started by: Da hook on October 25, 2017, 02:35:36 PM

Title: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: Da hook on October 25, 2017, 02:35:36 PM
Hallo Everybody


I moved to PE 3 months ago and recently fished the Sundays and Swartkops rivers.Both lovely places and I covered a lot of water with my little duck.I struggled to catch anything decent though.I found the smallies killing my bait so quick that i thought that i will never catch anything at that rate.I had the same problem in both rivers high and low tide.I tried all the available baits around and same problem.


What am i doing wrong?
Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: Visenvryheid on October 25, 2017, 08:44:38 PM
Put a legal sized "smallie" on da hook :) See what eats them..
Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 26, 2017, 11:11:07 AM
Whats harassing you? Stumpies?
Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: Da hook on October 27, 2017, 02:48:40 PM
yes,them what you call stumpies here are driving me crazy.My son hooked a few of them and a pretty little fish but after 79 of them and feeling like i am baiting more than fishing .I try deep ,shallow,sand banks ,mud banks,but they follow me everywhere.Coming from Durban I am still learning about the local conditions but the only thing up there that worried me this much were the small shad.At least they mad good live bate.
Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 27, 2017, 02:59:23 PM
Take 2 sand or mud prawns and wrap them around with unmalleted chokka. Will help a lot. Also in the EC try look for holes in the rivers. ~Fish the sand and mud banks on high tide. Generally you will see the Grunter tailing, so otherwise fish the holes  :-)

Also try bucktail jigs, paddle tails and diving lures opposed to bait. A lot harder but you will get some reward, a lot of species you can catch on those.
Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: demon on October 27, 2017, 03:24:32 PM
Hi, they are problem,why not use them as a live bait,maybe a garrick or 2..
Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 27, 2017, 03:27:44 PM
Mullet, Pinky and even Stumpies will work as live bait, just make sure they are size...
Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: Da hook on May 04, 2018, 11:19:28 AM
So it has been a while since this last reply but I think with every bodies help I am starting to catch on.My wife,son and I went for a little throw on Monday and the results were not to bad.My son had a field day with the little stumpies and a reasonable Grunter came out.

Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: Da hook on May 04, 2018, 11:33:27 AM
My son having a go at the Grunter.He has only really fished bass so it has been a bit of a experience.



Title: Re: Sundays river/Swartkops river
Post by: REEFMAN on May 04, 2018, 11:33:41 AM
Excellent Attie! Nice fish!  (clap)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal