ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
OFFSHORE ANGLING => Offshore Fishing Reports => Topic started by: Seventenths on October 21, 2016, 06:29:58 AM
-
We ran out of Gordon's Bay yesterday morning on "O2 fish" to look for some YFTs reports have been good on the fish and Jaco had caught some fish on surface lures a few days ago. We ran to the point in a light SE that got fresher and fresher the whole morning and the sea got REALLY unpleasant but the forecast was for it to settle and swing to the SW. The water at the point and Bellows was a bit green at around 16deg but picked up to around 18 deg in the deep. The SE held tilll almost 14h00 when things really calmed down nicely. We found a Stern trawler at about the 36 and 10 just east of the canyon and were the only boat on it.
We pulled in closed and had a ton of seals around the boat and the vessel was pulling up its net (good for the tuna). We dropped two baits and were in almost as soon as they were down only a few meters. On a small 50kg fish that was boated after and 20min fight and a big fish was lost under the boat after almost and hour and a half! Haasbroek was shattered! We moved back up to the trawler and had now been joined by a small fleet who were all on.
Two more fish were hooked on bait and boated after a solid fight. Whilst boating the second of these fish I jumped in with a camera and had about 20 big tuna and a seal swimming around me. Will post some underwater pics later.
I the tried to catch on surface lures with no joy... I switched to vertical jig rod with 20k Stella, blue rose and 100lbs JB braid.. I went on in just a few short drops and immediately regretted the decision as the Xtra heavy blue rose bent in half and the fish stripping off line from 20kg drag like it was a steam train. It took over an hour to tame and boat him. About 80kg in all. We then had a visit by a nice size mako and shortly after 14h00 on calm sea headed home.
-
(clap) :yft: Very nice well done.
-
Wow! Good skills Sevens!!! (clap) :+ cred:
-
Typos sorted... :blush:
-
Hahaha love it when I read stuff like "Pulled the jigging/popping outfit and as soon as the fish was on I regretted it!!!"
Well done 7/10s!
Great fishing and looking forward to those u/w pics!!!
-
Nice Tony congrats on the catches (clap)
-
Awesome stuff.
The Cape YFT fishery is definitely world class :resp:
-
(clap) Well done Tony, I can't wait for the underwater pics. :envy
-
Awesome stuff that .7... You gotta admit tho, there's something quite amazing about landing a beast like that on a skinny little rod with a grinder :happ: ... even if you can't stand up straight for a week after that. Thanks for the report :+ cred:
-
Awesome,congrats on the nice :yft: (clap) also looking forward to the u/w pics... :clwn
-
Nice one 7/10, I'm hoping for the same type of action in the comp this week. Can't wait for the underwater footage!!
-
Well done, those are serious fish :fshn: :fshn:
-
Awesome stuff!!
-
I jumped in to take some pics of Haasies fish from the water and on the line....
Just for another view point...
Fish on and boating the fish....
-
Whilst taking photos I had a seal trying to nip me....
All the pics are take with a 14mm lens so the animals are actually really close....
-
The guys on the boat were still chumming and I had about 20 free swimming fish around me trying to get at the chum... The pushed past me but moved really quick and I had not set the camera for HS shots....😟
-
More chum thieves ......
And my favourite shot with three fish right in front of me... The one at the back is about 90kg... I have cropped this pics so you can see his sickles almost touch his tail...
-
The hi Rez are great but can't post them here but you get the idea.... I have not yet processed all the images....
-
Awesome fish... and the water looks quite clear. Thanks for sharing .7 (clap)
-
Awesome stuff there Tony. Well done on some nice fish and really good pics (clap) :tkx: :clfoto:
-
Some really cool pics there :clfoto:
-
Awesome :yft: :yft:
:envy :envy :clfoto:
Well Done 7/10. That is still one fish on my bucket list that I need to get :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
-
Oh This time of the year reports like this makes working terrible.
You cannot call a 50kg fish a small fish.
It is an insult to about 99% of recreational fisherman!
Well done!!
-
Oh This time of the year reports like this makes working terrible.
You cannot call a 50kg fish a small fish.
It is an insult to about 99% of recreational fisherman!
Well done!!
:blush: ..... Eish, sorry Hannes....correction .... Smallest fish of the day...