ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => DIY Forum => Topic started by: John F on April 13, 2016, 01:16:28 PM

Title: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
Post by: John F on April 13, 2016, 01:16:28 PM
I saw this contraption by Bonze Lures (Bonze Dredge Boom http://www.bonzelures.co.nz/product/1337898 (http://www.bonzelures.co.nz/product/1337898)),  while surfing the net, and decided to build me something similar.

My primary objective is to pull my DIY dredge bars (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=17419.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=17419.0)), but after testing it last weekend, it can pull any teaser.

I had pieces of s/s pipes lying around in the shed, so cut it about 80 cm long, made a groove at the base to fit in the gunnel's rod holder and attached an old Penn Long Beach 268 reel I wasn't using any more. A 6 mm s/s eye bolt and about 15 m of 2 mm mono complete the setup.

Now I can retrieve the teasers quickly whenever we get a bite.
Title: Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
Post by: tkei on April 13, 2016, 01:21:39 PM
Nice, BUT will that old reels drag be able to handle the drag created by the dredge?

Title: Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
Post by: John F on April 13, 2016, 01:26:28 PM
Good point! Will see this weekend...

Tested it in flat waters inside the bay for about 5-10 min at 5 knots ... it withstood the drag....

If it fails completely, I think I'll make a plan with a 6/0 Penn Senator... if I can get one cheap...
Title: Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
Post by: Lenny on April 13, 2016, 06:49:18 PM
The tuna fleet in cpt uses a similar setup for chunking , but they obviously beef up the stainless and reel .


I have wondered if it would not be useful to pull teasers , so thanks now I know .
Title: Re: John F's DIY: The teaser boom
Post by: John F on April 19, 2016, 03:28:51 PM
Good point! Will see this weekend...

Tested it in flat waters inside the bay for about 5-10 min at 5 knots ... it withstood the drag....

If it fails completely, I think I'll make a plan with a 6/0 Penn Senator... if I can get one cheap...

Tested the dredges and the reel... trolled for about 4 h.... no worries! It took the beating but I had to tight that drag to the max.... looking for an old Penn 6/0 just to be safe... 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal