ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
OFFSHORE ANGLING => Offshore Fishing Reports => Topic started by: tkei on October 20, 2015, 09:44:06 PM
-
I have been in Cape town 3.5 months now, and havnt wet a line since March. M dad and boets were catching plenty fish in the kei while I was stuck here.
The tuna season has been a bit late this year, and catches rather sporadic, but there was always hoping I could crack a nod from someone to catch a scaly bugger or 2.
Friday eve at 6.30, still at my desk and Miles (Dr Fish) gave me a call and asked me if I wanted to join him on a trip off the point. No need to ask again. I had to cancel my plans to fetch my mother in law on saturday (Priorities i tell you, guess I am out favourite box for now), and also the plans for the rugby. Thats what PVR is for. I had to meet Miles at Simonstown at 4am.
3Am wake up, arrived at simons towna t 4, loaded the boat, refuelled and headed off to the pint int he dark. The crew were Miles, Jason me and 2 of Miles's regular crew.
That 10m Butt cat eats up the sea and we hit the pint just as the sun was showing accross the bay over Hangklip.
We headed out for the 30 odd miles. We put backlines out and trled a bit but it was quiet. Saw a few tuna on the surface but no takers. The radio was quiet, one or 2 fish on backlines, trawlers and long liners were not yet working so it was Boot ry.
I spotted a whale at about 9 am and Miles then said the thought it was an Orca. We headed over and it was a Pod of 4 Orcas. In 34 years of deep sea I had never seen one. The 4 stayed around the boat for a few minutes before we left them, knowing no tuna in its right mind would be anywhere near these things.
A few boats were working an area with bait so we joined them. 1 Boat was tight with 3 fish but the rest of the fleet were dead. Spent a few hrs doinfg this to no avail. The talk on the radio was of a late bite that had ben happening, but the fleet was planning on heading in for the rugby.
We moved to where a few liners had started working. All the boats were working one particular liner, but miles went up to another near by. first baits in and the one short stick screamed off. Jason was on and it was clear it was a very good fish. He eventually landed it. a 90 odd kg fish. Veally a good quality fish.
Moved back up and rebaited, a few minuted later and another screams off. I was up. Fishing tiagra 80's with heavy commercial line and 10kgs drag these things give a hell of a pull. I landed my PB yellowfin of about 45-50kg. I was pretty chuffed with myself. Moved back up a few times and had a double up, jason and wiseman getting a 45-50kg fish each on a double up, then i followed it up with a another similar sized fish. One more double up for Jason and Wiseman with the latter pulling the hook and it went quiet as the liner had finished their pull and processing run.
We moved a round a bit with no luch and then the guys in one area reportd a few fish. We moved into the area put baits ina nd immedialy my rod took off. The fish ran around the back of the boat around the motors so i needed to follow. right around the boat, before it settled into a pattern. I worked the fish for 1hr 25 min eventually pushing the drag to about 12 or 13kgs for the last 30 min. we could either see the fish circling below or pick it up on the sounder as it circled below the boat for about 40 min. give and take. It was swimming very big circles and had the line scraping along the keel about 10 times and meant we had to lift the starboard motor to prevent it snagging there. Now I know why they have such thick line, even 80lb would have snapped had it been subjected to the keel rubs like that. Eventually it was gaffed, bled and processed. By far my PB at 84kgs. This fish was landed at 5.30. I had a few photos. Then back to fishing. All was quiet and we headed home at 7.30. ETA at the point 8.45.
We had to run to Fish Hoek to the fish buyer, had a bite to eat, then back to simonstown, un pack lock up the boat and headed home, arriving home just after 12pm. A long Long day, Physically stuffed.
The laughs were full up all day, a commercial fisherman is hillarious, the radio chirps, and banter flows all day. You need to learn to give as good as you get.
[/size]I take my hat off the commercials who do this 2,3,4 days on the trot in not pleasant conditions just to make a living. It is crazy to se the guys in the million rand plus rigs fishing but then selling their catch illegally, pulling down the legal guys prices, just to cover costs. yes its expensive, but if you can afford the boat, you can afford the fuel and bait.
Thanks to Miles for the invite. My first experience of Commercial fishing. I am glad I can do it for fun and not for a living.
We ended with 7 tuna a 90 odd, 84, and 5 in the 45-55kg range. Slow day by their standards, but awsome by mine.
-
1st pic is the smaller fish the next 2 the 84kg.
-
Brilliant report Adam! (clap)
Congrats! :+ cred:
-
(clap) Awesome report and I am glad to hear the Tuna is here. I still need to catch one of these Cape brutes!
-
Awesome and congrats on your new PB.
Would love to get a chance to fish with Miles some day even though it's not really the same methods we use and are accustomed to it must be great to watch him apply his trade and learn
-
Great report, thanks bud :+ cred:
Ja, it must be a tough life for a comm... Us recreationals tend to glorify their profession, but I personally would not like to make a living by catching and selling fish.
-
Very lekker report and congrats on the PB (clap)
-
Nice report and well done Adam :rck" :rck"
I met Jason on a Captain Morgan Kenya trip a few years back(a YFT won him the trip), nice guy and very knowledgeable wrt tuna fishing !!
-
Lekka stuff Adam!
-
Nice report! :happ: :+ cred:
-
Awesome stuff Adam, certainly an awesome replacement for the Stickface!!
well done and awesome checking those orcas!!