ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
OFFSHORE ANGLING => Offshore Fishing Reports => Topic started by: John F on September 07, 2015, 04:07:37 PM
-
After much antecipation and a pearler of a weather forecast, MAXIMVS had a relatively late launch on Sunday. Myself and my bruder Manuel Jr. took our time to get things organized: buy the petrol, prep the boat, load the tackle and wait for the club's tractor.
[smg id=2631]
At 07:20 we were at the dock and to my horror witnessed the infamous Clube Naval slipway claim another victim: my jockey wheel was summarily decapitated when the winch hauled the trailer... the jockey wheel got stuck in one of the numerous holes at the bottom of the ramp and kaboom <:
[smg id=2629]
Oh well, will sort that one on our way back... The sea was flat as expected and turned a little bumpy as we cleared the sheltered waters of the bay and went past Xefina island. Nothing unconfortable...
[smg id=2630]
Water was cold (below 21o C and rised up to 21.4o C during the day) and our plan was to head NE (about 40 nm) and look for YFT. There have been reports of big YFT from the area and we wanted them! Go big or stay home and watch wicked tuna!
After an almost 2 h ride we got to a fishable area about 4 nm from the spot. Decided to start trolling and we set our spread. Two deep divers, two konas with strip baits and birds on the riggers and a cedar plug on the shotgun.
Trolled up, down, in and out till 12:30. Not a single bite!!!!! Radio was cracking with reports from people fishing Jeremias and B24 with plenty and big fish! Damn it, I was in the wrong place! I had no birds, no activity apart from 1000s of whales with calves!!!!
With the jockey wheel to sort, we had to make a decision to catch some fish and head home to organize the trailer. Didn't want to jam the ramp on a busy Sunday and I wasn't prepared to let MAXIMVS spend the nigh in the dock.
Made a call to go inshore to my couta grounds and try to score some fish for the table instead of going southeast.
Well, we managed to catch 2 couta on rappies. Also lost 2 of my favourite x-raps due to kinked wire!
[smg id=2632]
Cleaning the rods while Manuel was fighting his couta...
[smg id=2633]
Couta in the boat...
[smg id=2634]
Catch of the day...
Lesson to self: if you see a kinked wire don't hope/expect/pray for it to hold: re-rig!
After the 2 couta on the boat and the 2 that we lost, at 14:00 decided to troll back till 15:00 and then head home. We had 2 strikes on the riggers .... the leader was all scratched so it could probably be sailies but even though we droped some line, etc... the hooks didn't stick. Oh well, next time.
Had to pull the boat with the Cruiser, which was a breeze... a good wash of both boat and vehicle was in order.
[smg id=2635]
All in all a great day on the water. Did 85.9 nm on about 91 L of juice. :happ:
Didn't get the :yft: or the :sailf: , but I'm sure next time they will be a bit fatter!
Roll on summer!
-
Well done bud, must have been a pearler of a day out there. Pitty about the jockey, but our trailers take a pounding from the salt water.
Maximvs is looking great.
-
That's great fuel economy (clap) thanks for sharing details of your outing
Ps. I will take those couta any day over YFT, and I love my sashimi but you just cannot beat fresh couta fillet mmmmmmmm I'm hungry now, going home to eat :hehe:
-
That's great fuel economy (clap) thanks for sharing details of your outing
Ps. I will take those couta any day over YFT, and I love my sashimi but you just cannot beat fresh couta fillet mmmmmmmm I'm hungry now, going home to eat :hehe:
I saw nothing about fuel economy :cnfzd :dunno:
why was the jockey wheel down :cnfzd :dunno:
-
great come back bru...
-
I saw nothing about fuel economy :cnfzd :dunno:
why was the jockey wheel down :cnfzd :dunno:
Fuel economy: did about 91 L on 86 nm... that's 1.06 L/nm
Jockey wheel: at the ramp we use a big, stationary winch. So to go down the trailer must have the jockey wheel down. the club's tractor is not allowed to go down the ramp.
-
I saw nothing about fuel economy :cnfzd :dunno:
why was the jockey wheel down :cnfzd :dunno:
Fuel economy: did about 91 L on 86 nm... that's 1.06 L/nm
Jockey wheel: at the ramp we use a big, stationary winch. So to go down the trailer must have the jockey wheel down. the club's tractor is not allowed to go down the ramp.
thanks for clearing that up :corrct: with the evinrude 90's we can run 4-5 hours on a tank per motor, we need to check the distance covered but they are much mor economical than the 4 stroke 100 yammies we had.
for the jockey wheel, with the state of the ramp, why is the tractor not allowed, unless it doesn't have brakes, is the club liable?
-
the ramp gets slippery at the water edge... I guess the club management is trying to prevent accidents...
The club is not liable. members and guests use the ramp at own risk
-
Great report Marcus, looks like you had a stunning day on the water. It's a pity those Billies didn't get pinned properly.
Oh, and thank you for making us inlanders jealous (bat :shrk: :shrk: swr swr swr. Your ship is looking great bud.
-
Thanks chaps.... it's great to be back and ready for the action!
-
what make of boat is that yellow one behind yours?
-
Z-craft Invader... 24 ft I think... with a dodgy cabin (fitted afterwards)
-
Thanks for sharing Marcos, congrats on the couta lekker chow. Pity about the dropped fish however looks like you guys had fun (clap)
-
Nice fish :rck" ......................I see, so they stayed up there the whole year :-( (bat
-
Nice fish :rck" ......................I see, so they stayed up there the whole year :-( (bat
Yeap, we get them throughout the year