ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Dropshot fishing => Topic started by: gareth88 on July 22, 2015, 03:31:37 PM

Title: Witsand
Post by: gareth88 on July 22, 2015, 03:31:37 PM
Hi Guys,


I've recently discovered the joy of fishing with artificials in the Breede River. So far I've had a far amount of success targeting leeries, which are really great fun and I'm keen to get a grunter and Kob this year when the weather warms up a bit.


The one question I have is: Has anyone used artificials in the surf at Witsand off the rocks? And if so, what has the experience been like?


Thanks in advance :)
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 22, 2015, 03:40:31 PM
Hi Gareth  :welc: we used artificials at cape infanta last year in the surf... Got bitten off by a few Shad and caught a few Blacktail, the weather was really bad though and the wind was pumping, Witsand looks really good and I know the guys get Kob in the surf all around there so it is worth a try for sure  :tite
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: gareth88 on July 22, 2015, 04:23:35 PM
Hi WalkersKiller,


Thanks so much for your response. It's a pity you got bitten off and didn't manage to land the shad, I've heard stories of some really big boys in the surf.


It's something I'm keen to try, but especially with lure fishing it's difficult to stay motivated after a couple hours if you aren't sure that it's going to work or has worked in the past haha
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 22, 2015, 04:31:01 PM
Haha I know what you mean! 9 times out of 10 I stop throwing a lure after an hour and start casting baits again  :hehe: but yeah have heard there is some great fishing in the surf at Witsand and Infanta... Have you fished off that big Jetty at Witsand? (Sorry if I am being vague) we got a nice Grunter and got chased by Leeries there quite a bit as well...
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: gareth88 on July 22, 2015, 04:49:17 PM
If you are talking about the wooden jetty in front of the NSRI slip then yes I've put in a number of hours there. Never got a grunter or a leerie, but have caught belman, steenbras, stumpnose, blacktail, shad and what seems like thousands of barbel and blaasoppies.


That is probably one of the main reasons for my switch to artificials, well that and the rush you get when you see a fish chasing your lure.
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 22, 2015, 05:45:39 PM
Yeah thats the one! The puffer fish are full up there! Anyways bru, sorry for hijacking the thread, good luck and I am sure someone will be able to help you further!
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: Lenny on July 22, 2015, 07:32:50 PM
Tons of barbel too .


In the river , don't fish to heavy .


In the surf I have no clue in that area , but inside angling has had some shows about the area , I was fortunate enough to remember to have watched the show .


Species wise , youlle get all sorts.
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: Zetti on July 22, 2015, 07:41:43 PM
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=19844.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=19844.0)

Gareth, have a look here. I would rather focus on the river if you want to fish artificials. Much better chance of landing something decent.
Title: Re: Witsand
Post by: gareth88 on July 23, 2015, 08:26:32 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. By all accounts the river seems to be a better bet!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal