ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => Offshore Fishing Reports => Topic started by: Poenie on December 10, 2014, 02:14:41 PM

Title: YFT on plug
Post by: Poenie on December 10, 2014, 02:14:41 PM
I don't want to start an entire new thread, so I'll do a SHORT report here (if admin allows):

I've been dreaming of getting a Cape Town yellowfin (not these 15kg Indian ocean fish) on the spinning outfit for a LONG time! On the odd occasion that you do see them on the surface, they move VERY fast, and with backlines out, it's a struggle to get to them! It's also generally the smaller 30-40kg class fish! Yesterday however...  :-)
Early morning we saw some birds, put backlines out and got into some longfin immediately, as well as a 30kg yellowfin! As we were still boating fish, I saw some yellowfin on the surface less than half-a-mile away! We got the lines in again and followed the fish as they were jumping clean out the water! Twice we got JUST OUT of casting distance, and once I had a fish miss the plug :-( Soon after I saw a decent size fish jump near the end of my casting range! I made as long a cast as I could, while the boat was still trolling! 3 turns of the Stella and all hell broke loose!! The fish came clear out the water as it smashed the plug, then SCREAMED off as they do on their first run! Drag set at 11-12kg, it was a matter of holding on as the spool heated up! After about a 150m run, I managed to turn the fish and put some pressure on! ...only then did the fight really start! With hurting arms and a burning back I got the fish under the boat, about 30m deep (after another couple of runs). Then it started to pin wheel (as they do)! With each pin wheel, it went UNDER the boat, with me having to drop the tip and "straight-stick" him! 20-odd minutes later he emerged from under the boat in a perfect position for the gaff, which stuck perfectly!  :happ: A quick photo with VERY SHAKY arms, and into the slurry went the fish - oh and yes, the crew and I will be enjoying sashimi for Xmas!
Title: YFT on plug
Post by: Poenie on December 10, 2014, 02:22:39 PM
Thanks Admin (johnF) for moving this report - attaching photo again!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Captain G on December 10, 2014, 02:46:26 PM
Very nice. What was the weight?
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Poenie on December 10, 2014, 02:49:31 PM
58.9kg bled and weighed next day...
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Prego on December 10, 2014, 02:57:45 PM
Nice Poenie  :envy
whats the weather looking like for the weekend??  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Spickerish on December 10, 2014, 03:01:09 PM
 :cgrts: Great catch that!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Poenie on December 10, 2014, 03:03:28 PM
Prego, weekend is not looking good... but I'll be in Hartenbos anyway!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Seventenths on December 10, 2014, 03:08:48 PM
Awesome Poenie.....do you mind sharing a pic of the lure/plug you used?
 
Well done again... this is an awesome catch! :happ:
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: dugong on December 10, 2014, 03:09:56 PM
58.9kg bled and weighed next day...

Eish, a 60+ on a grinder - very very well done!! :rck"

 :+ cred:
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: John F on December 10, 2014, 03:22:06 PM
Awesome Poenie.....do you mind sharing a pic of the lure/plug you used?
 

(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19029.0;attach=128438;image)
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Poenie on December 10, 2014, 03:24:39 PM
5oz white chiselnose - in the picture!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Skaap Tjop on December 10, 2014, 03:27:11 PM
Awesome fish!!! Well done  (clap)
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Seventenths on December 10, 2014, 04:50:19 PM
 :blush: sorry too busy admiring the fish!!!
 
thanks...
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: FishStyx on December 10, 2014, 05:13:35 PM
Awesome... they are such strong fish. I had my ass handed to me on a plate time and time again out at Hall Banks a few years back. Big YFT became my "most revered", knocking GTs off that spot. They hit such blistering speeds and the term "smoking drag" takes on new meaning.


But I still do love GTs  w;k 


Great catch Poenie!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Peter Gordon on December 10, 2014, 05:26:09 PM
 :cgrts: That is an awesome :yft: and caught on a :cg: nogal :rck" HUGE :resp:  I'm :envy
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Cam Mundy on December 10, 2014, 05:31:36 PM
Great work bud its always schweet when things come together!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Poenie on December 11, 2014, 08:41:49 AM
Thanks guys!! It truly was a special fish... now to get that 40+ Mafia Islands :gt: - they're still my favourite!!! ...and the fight is much shorter, thus less back-breaking!
One thing is for sure, if YFT were as "dirty bastards" as our GT friends, and caught in the shallows, it would be an ENTIRELY different ballgame!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: vismal on December 11, 2014, 10:00:58 AM
Well done on an awesome catch!!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Blink Stefaans on December 11, 2014, 10:15:00 AM
Nice!!!
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Gerhard on December 11, 2014, 11:06:48 AM
Awesome Tunny om the spinning stick!!!


 :envy :envy :envy :envy


Thats no smile its a grimace  :craz: :craz: 
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: colin on December 11, 2014, 04:04:54 PM
 :cgrts: what an achievement on a :cg: . Colin. :toppie:
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: Lofty on December 11, 2014, 05:56:37 PM
well done,great gasbottle on spinning gear... (clap)
Title: Re: YFT on plug
Post by: ulua on February 26, 2015, 06:56:45 AM
That's one cracker YFT on topwater.


I can only imagine how it must have smoked string off the Stella.


Well done.




SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal