ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Fishing Reports => Topic started by: Fish-Hunter on November 20, 2014, 08:47:46 PM

Title: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Fish-Hunter on November 20, 2014, 08:47:46 PM
Hey all,
After scratching for live bait and eventually catching a Black tail ,I managed to slide it out not too far as I saw a chase quite close in against the rocks. The regular local guys were all there however not with rods,they were nursing hangovers instead.


They urged me to try for another live bait for my second rod,as ran down to try for another I
Heard my ratchet screaming along with yells from hungover bunch. When I picked the rod up it stopped running,a few seconds later it took off again. Giving free spool allowing it to swallow the bait for a while I flicked over the clutch lever to set the hooks,my world came to a stand still. I forgot to tighten my drag and now had a crows nest second to none.


Instantly the guys jumped into action to assist me undo the mess,Martin held my line while the others unpicked the crows nest. It was taking line just as we got the mess undone,it was heading around around a rock we call "Mussel" and could feel my line been pulled over the rock. I managed to turn it and it headed towards the bay,my sinker snagged on another bit of rock which came loose once I got to "Flat rock". The gang followed me there where they held my line clear of the rocks in order for me to get to the beach,I was exhausted by then.


Now we had the body boarders to contend with,by this time a crowd had gathered to see the fish. All I knew is that it was not a Garrick on the other end of my line,maybe a Skate? It was like pulling a bag of cement,it finally came over the drop off and in the rolling white water I spotted a brownish yellow point of a wing or fin. I would pull it in with the wave and then it would get sucked back,finally Martin moved closer to it to tail it for me. When he turned and ran out the water I panicked thinking it was a shark but then Wally moved closer,when he and Martin lifted that Daga out of the water I just fell to my knees in shock.


The crowd had grown in size and were applauding me,it was an amazing feeling. Many photos were taken by the crowd of  me and the Daga,unfortunately after the pics we could not revive the fish. it was dissapointing not to be able to release it to fight another day but it was to be expected for that size fish to succumb to the fight.


It was a day to remember,how everyone helped me land that 23kg Daga,I will never forget how unselfish they were in getting me my biggest fish yet.


A huge thanks to my Winkel fellow anglers.








Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: icstuff on November 20, 2014, 08:59:47 PM
 :cgrts:
And thank you for the report!
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: carll on November 20, 2014, 09:16:05 PM
Hi Congrats Fish Hunter !


Thanks for your great report and pictures  (clap)
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Homie on November 20, 2014, 11:06:25 PM
Thats how its done !!!

Good report ! And one that deserves a  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Jakes on November 21, 2014, 12:16:35 AM
EPIC catch!!!!!!  :cgrts:
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: REEFMAN on November 21, 2014, 06:32:41 AM
Another awesome catch!
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Angler21 on November 21, 2014, 06:44:54 AM
Great catch and well done.
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Charles on November 21, 2014, 07:19:43 AM
Mooi man! Well done.
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: krissi on November 21, 2014, 07:24:11 AM
Awesome fish landed in true angler spirit :envy
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: isivuba on November 21, 2014, 07:27:28 AM
Nice report.  :rck"
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Lenny on November 21, 2014, 07:30:48 AM
Lekker Kob ! Nice report ! thanks for sharing !
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: WalkersKiller on November 21, 2014, 07:57:10 AM
Nice one F-H  :happ:
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: L Hooker on November 21, 2014, 08:03:45 AM
Thanks for the report congrats on a great catch  (clap)
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Weedeater on November 21, 2014, 09:44:04 AM
What a fish!! Congreats!!  :happ:
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Bwana on November 21, 2014, 09:55:07 AM
You sir are on a hot streak! What a beauty! Thanks for the report  (clap)
Title: Re: Daga Salmon at Winkel rocks
Post by: Jordz on November 24, 2014, 02:43:19 PM
 :cgrts: Got a 1.2m Kob  at brazzen, was amazed at how close these bigger kobs stay to the rocks. Well done on yours
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal