ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => DIY Forum => Topic started by: Gamkaboer on January 16, 2014, 10:08:56 AM

Title: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on January 16, 2014, 10:08:56 AM
Hi Guys


I do not like the current console on the duck I aquired ( very unpractical) and would like to put a stand up console with a front bench on the duck.




Do you guys know where I can buy these fibreglass consoles in Gauteng at a good price?


Or is it easy enough to build self? I know how to work with fibreglass.


Also I want to install a box at the back of the dimension 600 long and 450 wide.


The other things I am looking for but cannot find a supplier is :


U Bar 450mm with round Cushion
A Frame for at the back.
Hatch doors and containers.
Rod Holders to fit on the side of the console


I thank you in advance. All the help is much appreciated.



Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on January 16, 2014, 10:12:37 AM
Something like this I am looking at....
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: pieterh on January 16, 2014, 10:29:25 AM
SOO IETS?(http://sealine.co.za/attachment.php?id=154581)
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on January 16, 2014, 12:09:56 PM
kan ongelukkig nie die foto sien nie
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Willie on January 16, 2014, 12:31:50 PM
Kobus speak to isivuba he did a fantastic job on his rebuild
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: E.T. on January 16, 2014, 01:43:42 PM
Phone Derek at Pretoria Yamaha on 012 751 0830/1/2/3
They not only build and repair pontoons, but they can assist you with a whole bunch of sevices, revamps, mods, etc.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Hammer on January 17, 2014, 09:24:17 AM
Try Stingray Marine ( the rubber duck guys) they do consols.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: dodger on January 18, 2014, 08:27:19 AM
I would suggest Caravan & boating in Nigel, I nave used them a lot.
Our boat Nikao is in there at the moment being repaired, and they should be able to help you with everything. They have always provided me with a great service

I put a console I got from them, like you are looking for on one of my old boats see the pic

011 814 1452

http://www.boatcc.co.za/ (http://www.boatcc.co.za/)
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on January 20, 2014, 11:07:17 AM
Awesome Guys.


Thanks for the feedback.


So she is standing in front of the garage so now its each day a little bit to do.


Engine is in great shape. Just need to clean out the carbs then her first start after I sorted out the battery.


The throttle is a bit stiff and rustic. Can one service it or should I just replace it?


Mechanical steering is in good nick just needs some olie hier en daar.


Now a question....


I just want to glue the loose pvc on the pontoons where the ropes etc are glued on etc. What glue do I use? Or bonding agent? The pontoons itself are in good nick soft every where.


I also want to cover all the grey pvc used inside and outside on hull with blue pvc. It looks very patchy now.


Trailer also needs tlc. Will a good sand,  ESM75 over the rust , then red oxide and a few coats of enamel paint work? Or should I look at using other type of paint?


The deck I want to cover with flotex carpet.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: L Hooker on January 20, 2014, 11:34:39 AM
In terms of the sticky throttle i'd just replace the cable, at least you know it wont let you down! In terms of the glue perhaps contact one of the duck shops and ask them what they use. Derek at Pta Yamaha does do ponttons repairs perhaps give him a call.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on January 21, 2014, 09:30:08 AM
The mould is taking shape. Final preps and sanding then starting with the fibre glass.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on February 06, 2014, 03:27:31 PM
So after some research I have come to a point of decisions again.


What are the rules or laws if one convert the current pvc pontoons to fibreglass. I have met with a guy who does large scale fibre glass products and on road vehicles and he is 100 percent into giving it a go and they know what they are doing. 


Must he be registered? Well the pontoons will be the same size as the pvc and 6 layers thick and will be properly dik (7 layers ) fibre glass to the hull in and out with 4 compartments that will be foamed up in.



For getting the boat almost mahala I am willing to spend some money because I have decided that an upgrade will only happen in 5 - 6 years.


What do you think?


Boat will be heavier but that wont have to much a effect. We calculated that the fibreglass pontoon will weight about 90kg extra.



Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: isivuba on February 06, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
So after some research I have come to a point of decisions again.


What are the rules or laws if one convert the current pvc pontoons to fibreglass. I have met with a guy who does large scale fibre glass products and on road vehicles and he is 100 percent into giving it a go and they know what they are doing. 


Must he be registered? Well the pontoons will be the same size as the pvc and 6 layers thick and will be properly dik (7 layers ) fibre glass to the hull in and out with 4 compartments that will be foamed up in.



For getting the boat almost mahala I am willing to spend some money because I have decided that an upgrade will only happen in 5 - 6 years.


What do you think?


Boat will be heavier but that wont have to much a effect. We calculated that the fibreglass pontoon will weight about 90kg extra.




I would rather sell the duck and buy a ski boat bud.....less stress and bucks.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Spickerish on February 06, 2014, 04:42:34 PM
So after some research I have come to a point of decisions again.


What are the rules or laws if one convert the current pvc pontoons to fibreglass. I have met with a guy who does large scale fibre glass products and on road vehicles and he is 100 percent into giving it a go and they know what they are doing. 


Must he be registered? Well the pontoons will be the same size as the pvc and 6 layers thick and will be properly dik (7 layers ) fibre glass to the hull in and out with 4 compartments that will be foamed up in.



For getting the boat almost mahala I am willing to spend some money because I have decided that an upgrade will only happen in 5 - 6 years.


What do you think?


Boat will be heavier but that wont have to much a effect. We calculated that the fibreglass pontoon will weight about 90kg extra.




I would rather sell the duck and buy a ski boat bud.....less stress and bucks.

What he said, plus on a small boat 90kg is a lot plus the foam weighs quite a bit off weight aswell. On my small duck, me and my dad on the boat it would get on the plane fast, if my wife climbed on the boat it wouldn't even get on the plane at all and she's about 50kg.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Peter Gordon on February 06, 2014, 05:25:11 PM
So after some research I have come to a point of decisions again.


What are the rules or laws if one convert the current pvc pontoons to fibreglass. I have met with a guy who does large scale fibre glass products and on road vehicles and he is 100 percent into giving it a go and they know what they are doing. 


Must he be registered? Well the pontoons will be the same size as the pvc and 6 layers thick and will be properly dik (7 layers ) fibre glass to the hull in and out with 4 compartments that will be foamed up in.



For getting the boat almost mahala I am willing to spend some money because I have decided that an upgrade will only happen in 5 - 6 years.


What do you think?


Boat will be heavier but that wont have to much a effect. We calculated that the fibreglass pontoon will weight about 90kg extra.




I would rather sell the duck and buy a ski boat bud.....less stress and bucks.
I have to agree, 90kg is a hell of an extra weight to put on a small boat. Catch a few big un's and you will have a problem or two. There is a reason why they didn't make the pontoon out of fibreglass in the first place, the boat is not designed for that. Just my 2c
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: John F on February 06, 2014, 06:09:41 PM
A properly maintained pontooned duck is a very safe craft. Why turn it into a floating (?) hazard? Like the others said, it was not designed like that.

Enjoy the duck first. If you feel later on you need to upgrade, cross that bridge when you get there.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: dodger on February 06, 2014, 06:13:47 PM
I don't think converting to fibreglass and foam would be a good idea, buoyancy would probably be ok but there will be a question about stability. much easier to buy a recognised glass hull
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on February 06, 2014, 06:36:25 PM
Forgot to mention took the boat to Carl inflatable boat repairs and I need to replace the pontoon. But its 15 G. Eish bit of saving to be done. And the fibreglass oaks were cheaper.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: Gamkaboer on February 06, 2014, 06:39:12 PM
But I hear you guys rather save up and buy a nice 16 footer. But my max budget will be only 50 G.
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: dodger on February 06, 2014, 07:24:58 PM
check OLX & Gumtree there are boats available
Title: Re: DIY - Boat changes - Material Allocation Help Needed
Post by: L Hooker on February 07, 2014, 07:28:50 AM
Gamkaboer R15k seems high to me??? I had a 6.1m stingray duck and had my pontoons replaced by a company in the Cape and it cost me R10k, granted that was a few years ago however phone around and get some comparitive quotes for repontooning. I would not do the fibreglass conversion!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal